Where to go?

Chris@Doms

Seasoned Expediter
Carrier Management
Yeah and it has come up, middle of Montana, got the only sprinter in a 800 mile radius. We got paid!
But as easy as it seems to overcharge a broker when they are need, they'll remember that and get you back later on.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Like I said, the business of the carrier is only related to the business of the contractor, it is not the same.

Chris@Doms

Seasoned Expediter
Carrier Management
Like I said, the business of the carrier is only related to the business of the contractor, it is not the same.

Nope, my owner operator makes it and i get my cut. Now company drivers get their mileage or salary depending how they're setup.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Always remember that dispatchers and load planners work for the carrier, not the contractor. Their business, and your business are NOT the same. Their responsibility is to the carrier, your's to yourself. Their concern is always covering 100% of the loads at the highest profit for THEM. Your's is to take loads that make profit for you.
That's an understandable statement, but clearly you are unfamiliar with the daily goings on at Load One.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's an understandable statement, but clearly you are unfamiliar with the daily goings on at Load One.

No, I know little of Load1, other than my truck would not fit there. I would go broke much faster there than I am now.

guido4475

Not a Member
If it were me, I'd head straight for a carrier that has some idea as to where the freight is likely to originate, in areas where I don't. :rolleyes:

"This business is anything but predictable.A good move one week is a terrible move the next week.The crystal ball is a pretty foggy thing in this business"-Mr.John Elliott.

That right there says it all.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
The carrier's interests are intertwined with the owner operators' interests. Sure, a carrier wants to cover every load from a customer. That's what broker authority is for. Broker out all the stuff your trucks don't want. I have seen, though, that a good load for the owner operator is also the best load for us as the carrier. Send that truck to a good area where he's more likely to get another good load and the carrier makes more money as well. It's not like there is a conflict of interest between the drivers and the carrier. Both benefit more by good business decisions on both sides.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
"This business is anything but predictable.A good move one week is a terrible move the next week.The crystal ball is a pretty foggy thing in this business"-Mr.John Elliott.

Where was this Elliott guy back in 04 when I said almost the same thing?....:p

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Been to E.P. twice. One load, for Prestige, went to Greeneville, Tn. 1500+ at .50 :mad::banghead:
One more, 406 mi to Nogales, for Jung. That one paid .75 or so. Enough to DH back to E.P. Then on to Dallas on my own dime.
So yeah, no fan of El Paso here.

.50 a mile for Prestige, sounds like there NOT SAYING NO TO CHEAP FREIGHT!??! The minimum at JUNG is .75 I here. Good to get the names of the carriers out and quit hiding behind the curtains :) It's only business after all. ;)

Why not head into the Mile High City and learn what true expediting is all about :p You can turn down all loads going to Montana and wait for a big one going to the east or west coast.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

And nobody, including me, said otherwise. Even someplace where loads are more likely than the place where you are now doesn't guarantee a load. It's a gamble, wherever you go - but if one place is as good as another, why deadhead anywhere?

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My friend ended up DH to El Paso, sat there until Wednesday afternoon. Now he DH moved to Albuquerque NM. Last I heard from him a couple hours ago, now he's sitting there!

rjthetightway

Seasoned Expediter
I'm in Virginia beach anybody know of any truck stops near by where I can sit

Sent from my LG-E980 using EO Forums mobile app

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My friend ended up DH to El Paso, sat there until Wednesday afternoon. Now he DH moved to Albuquerque NM. Last I heard from him a couple hours ago, now he's sitting there!

Did he give a reason? That doesn't make any sense to me...

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Self-inflicted. There's too much freight coming out of El Paso to take one for that cheap.
Granted, there's not a whole lot of van freight that comes out of Nogales, but then again there are rarely other vans down there, so what does come out of there you can not only get pretty easily, but at a good rate. You may have to sit a day or 3, but sitting for extended periods in Nogales is a rarity.

I abhor deadheading in the same direction that paying freight will take me. Especially 650 miles.

Never cut a tree down in the wintertime. Never make a negative decision in the low time. Never make your most important decisions when you are in your worst moods. Wait. Be patient. The storm will pass. The spring will come. - Robert Schuller

The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it. - Arnold Glasgow

The 50¢ run? Noob mistake, born of desperation.

Nogales? There was a FedEx van there already (talked to her), and my dispatch told me Nogales was pretty dead for them.

In all seriousness, isn't the border better for Sprinters than flattops anyway?

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
.50 a mile for Prestige, sounds like there NOT SAYING NO TO CHEAP FREIGHT!??! The minimum at JUNG is .75 I here. Good to get the names of the carriers out and quit hiding behind the curtains :) It's only business after all. ;)

Why not head into the Mile High City and learn what true expediting is all about :p You can turn down all loads going to Montana and wait for a big one going to the east or west coast.

I worked for Prestige as a courier, so cheap? Oooh yeah.

Jung pays 60% of linehaul, plus "25% of that 60%" as FSC. I have done runs for them that have all paid about 75¢ when it was all said and done. That and they take three weeks to pay you.

Denver? Nice place to sit! I've always had to move to get freight.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The move to Albuquerque doesn't make sense to me either, but who am I to judge ....
Especially since the Rib Hut has $1.25 brisket burritos on Sat .. :)

Sent from my LG-P999 using EO Forums mobile app

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
It's a bit tougher everywhere. Slim margins and low award percentages. There are fewer "hot spots" and more sitting trucks. The average load length seems shorter.
Not sure if it's a cycle or a trend.
But everyone keep plugging at it.
Or actually, get out!!! Less competition would be GREAT!! LOL!!