Where to go?

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got a friend stuck in Portales NM. He's asking where to go from there. They offered to pay his DH to move, but didn't know where to send him. Any ideas??

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Depends on company. ..me ..I would go towards El Paso ..We do ok along the Border..

Sent from my SM-G900V using EO Forums mobile app

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Depends on company. ..me ..I would go towards El Paso ..We do ok along the Border..

Sent from my SM-G900V using EO Forums mobile app

Been to E.P. twice. One load, for Prestige, went to Greeneville, Tn. 1500+ at .50 :mad::banghead:
One more, 406 mi to Nogales, for Jung. That one paid .75 or so. Enough to DH back to E.P. Then on to Dallas on my own dime.
So yeah, no fan of El Paso here.

Sent from my XT1028 using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If it were me, I'd head straight for a carrier that has some idea as to where the freight is likely to originate, in areas where I don't. :rolleyes:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If it were me, I'd head straight for a carrier that has some idea as to where the freight is likely to originate, in areas where I don't. :rolleyes:

and just what carrier would that be??....I've not encountered one yet that has that kind of fortune telling abilities.....

Last edited:

drifter

Expert Expediter
All carriers have freight don't you read their ads

Sent from my SPH-L720T using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
you have 3 choices....stand put....turn right, turn left.....33 1/3% chance you are going to be right............or wrong...:cool:

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
He choose to DH to El Paso late Saturday afternoon. Gotta be better chances there then sitting in dead zone of NM. Thanks.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Been to E.P. twice. One load, for Prestige, went to Greeneville, Tn. 1500+ at .50 :mad::banghead:
Self-inflicted. There's too much freight coming out of El Paso to take one for that cheap.

One more, 406 mi to Nogales, for Jung. That one paid .75 or so. Enough to DH back to E.P.
Granted, there's not a whole lot of van freight that comes out of Nogales, but then again there are rarely other vans down there, so what does come out of there you can not only get pretty easily, but at a good rate. You may have to sit a day or 3, but sitting for extended periods in Nogales is a rarity.

Then on to Dallas on my own dime.
I abhor deadheading in the same direction that paying freight will take me. Especially 650 miles.

So yeah, no fan of El Paso here.
Never cut a tree down in the wintertime. Never make a negative decision in the low time. Never make your most important decisions when you are in your worst moods. Wait. Be patient. The storm will pass. The spring will come. - Robert Schuller

The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it. - Arnold Glasgow

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
and just what carrier would that be??....I've not encountered one yet that has that kind of fortune telling abilities.....

It doesn't take fortune telling ability to choose Atlanta over Savannah, or Cleveland over Youngstown, does it? And don't you have a few [closely guarded] 'fishing holes' yourself? :p
Newbies don't know where the [frequent] shippers are, but dispatchers/load planners do, or should. Seeing loads originate from the same location regularly, or pretty often is a major clue, lol.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It doesn't take fortune telling ability to choose Atlanta over Savannah, or Cleveland over Youngstown, does it? And don't you have a few [closely guarded] 'fishing holes' yourself? :p
Newbies don't know where the [frequent] shippers are, but dispatchers/load planners do, or should. Seeing loads originate from the same location regularly, or pretty often is a major clue, lol.

I've never yet had a dispatcher or load planner to even suggest one of my "fishin hole' areas yet...they will always suggest big centers like Chicago, Indy, Cincy/Dayton, Dallas and so forth...pretty generic and thoughtless IMO....where vans are a plenty and bidding fierce...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Always remember that dispatchers and load planners work for the carrier, not the contractor. Their business, and your business are NOT the same. Their responsibility is to the carrier, your's to yourself. Their concern is always covering 100% of the loads at the highest profit for THEM. Your's is to take loads that make profit for you.

Chris@Doms

Seasoned Expediter
Carrier Management
Always remember that dispatchers and load planners work for the carrier, not the contractor. Their business, and your business are NOT the same. Their responsibility is to the carrier, your's to yourself. Their concern is always covering 100% of the loads at the highest profit for THEM. Your's is to take loads that make profit for you.

But us carriers and dispatchers do care where you are. If you don't move we don't get money either. If your dispatcher doesn't know good spots for the places you are, for the type of truck you're in, maybe suggest they should go on road and learn.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
But us carriers and dispatchers do care where you are. If you don't move we don't get money either. If your dispatcher doesn't know good spots for the places you are, for the type of truck you're in, maybe suggest they should go on road and learn.

What is a "need" for a carrier/dispatcher is not always a good "match" for a truck.

I have a TVAL truck. My carrier needs loads moved, many of those loads are loads that do not pay enough for me to load them. I want to go where I can make enough money to justify the work, my carrier needs those other loads, covered.

I cannot work for monies that do not cover all of my costs plus the needed profit. If the carrier is not, or cannot for what ever reason, pay what I need, I am not going to take it.

Carriers and contractors businesses are only sort of parallel, they are not the same nor do they have the same end goal.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I find that many dispatchers are geographically challenged :) ! You can directly chalk that up to a public education. I have a pre 60's K thru 12 education which is equivalent to todays B A .

Sent from my SCH-i705 using EO Forums mobile app

Chris@Doms

Seasoned Expediter
Carrier Management
Another thing is, us carriers who deal with overflow will probably hardly see a load from top carriers out a bad bad spot. Those are usually already given to their own drivers.
If it's not profitable for you to take it, more then likely, it will covered by someone like us who basically deal overflow.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Another thing is, us carriers who deal with overflow will probably hardly see a load from top carriers out a bad bad spot. Those are usually already given to their own drivers.
If it's not profitable for you to take it, more then likely, it will covered by someone like us who basically deal overflow.

I will cover almost any load you have, for a MINIMUM of $2.50 per mile PLUS FSC and more for using the reefer and more if it's going somewhere stupid. LOL!

I think you get the picture!