Where did everyone go?

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
Wolverine. Although Fedex is not right for everyone I figure it can't be too bad when you look at how many people leave, only to return.
Others leave, don't find nirvana, and exit the business.
I'm sure many people have left and found happiness. I don't personally know anybody that has switched carriers, from Fedex, and found happiness in the same size vehicle.

I'm sure not smart enough to know why other people move from one carrier to another, zorry.

From time to time I did it, but it certainly wasn't because a recruiter promised me I'd be part of a big happy family and I'd get to sit around with management and sing folk songs late into the night!

I DO insist, however, that my dispatchers call me by my nickname (Wolverine), instead of what shows up on their screen. Otherwise I refuse the load, because being called that makes me feel warm and fuzzy; just as if I were part of a large extended family!

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
I'm out here to run the lower 48... I'm not out here to exclusively run the freight lanes. I enjoy going wherever. Some places more then others. (weather pending) Staying in the same area gets boring :)

As long as the place I'm going will relocate to a place with more freight I'm good to go. Sometimes I can make a exception if I really want to go there or a bonus is on the table :)

Philly cranks some loads... I'd say the most out of any east coast city enless you count Charlotte NC.

Now there's an attitude I can admire - and not one bit of whining!

Sounds like you cracked the code and are content.

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
There are lots more. I know several in vans, not to mention straights, who have moved on with success. One of them is an admin here on EO, in fact.

I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to accept those statements on trust alone, Mr. Turtle. I'd like to see just a bit of specific, factual stuff, which you're normally pretty good at supplying.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to accept those statements on trust alone, Mr. Turtle.
That is, of course, entirely up to you.
I'd like to see just a bit of specific, factual stuff, which you're normally pretty good at supplying.
I'm sure you would, but it's not my place, nor am I going to post specific, personal details to a public forum about anyone unless they have already themselves posted in public about it.

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
I'm sure you would, but it's not my place, nor am I going to post specific, personal details to a public forum about anyone unless they have already themselves posted in public about it.

I understand completely, Turtle.

Just one question: Since I know so little about public forums and how they are managed, what is an "admin" and what are his or her responsibilities?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Just one question: Since I know so little about public forums and how they are managed, what is an "admin" and what are his or her responsibilities?

NOT in this thread ....that would be completely off topic....

ON topic...I don't do south of I-10 Florida, unless there is backend money....
I don't do NYC or cross the bridges anymore
and I don't do west coast over the years I've punished myself saying...."this time I'll get a load out" and never do....sitting for a week or so just takes all the money out of the load to get there.....
and this I do without remorse or hesitation....no whining, nada...just the way I CAPITOL I ...do MY business.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Who said anything about FedEx? It seems to be a fine place to be signed on with, however, from what little I know.

By the way, did you mention FedEx because you had a bad experience at that company?[/
QUOTE]

Nope, never been w/FedEx. Just seemed to me to be fairly obvious that was who the op was describing. Could be wrong though. Would not be the first or last time I was.

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
Who said anything about FedEx? It seems to be a fine place to be signed on with, however, from what little I know.

By the way, did you mention FedEx because you had a bad experience at that company?[/
QUOTE]

Nope, never been w/FedEx. Just seemed to me to be fairly obvious that was who the op was describing. Could be wrong though. Would not be the first or last time I was.

Well, then, how do you know "...Fedex ain't it." (to quote a famous man), if you've never been there?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

As OVM said, that's a little off topic. But an admin manages all the technical details required for running the site. They manage the rules of the forums, site permissions, features to add or remove, create category sections and sub-sections, perform any database operations, control the look and feel of the site, select members to be moderators, and to look after the well-being of the forum as a whole (sometimes at the expense of an individual). With larger forums there are often several admins who focus on different aspects of the site, like new member verifications, SPAM, etc.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It is?? Hey, I didn't introduce the topic of an "admin".
Actually you did.

Blame that one on the Shelled Cornucopia Of Knowledge!
Sorry, no. I mentioned "admin" but it was hardly in the context of a new topic. It wasn't in the context of a new topic anymore than "warm," "fuzzy" or "folk songs" were introduced as new topics of discussion.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
As OVM said, that's a little off topic. But an admin manages all the technical details required for running the site. They manage the rules of the forums, site permissions, features to add or remove, create category sections and sub-sections, perform any database operations, control the look and feel of the site, select members to be moderators, and to look after the well-being of the forum as a whole (sometimes at the expense of an individual). With larger forums there are often several admins who focus on different aspects of the site, like new member verifications, SPAM, etc.

What Turtle said.... Plus I keep the manufacturers of acetaminophen and ibuprofen in business :rolleyes:

Dale

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums mobile app

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
What Turtle said.... Plus I keep the manufacturers of acetaminophen and ibuprofen in business :rolleyes:

Dale

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums mobile app

I suppose that means you are the infamous "admin", Dale?

If so, wow!, that's a lot of responsibility for just one person!!

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
A Free United States Map draw a straight line from Laredo straight up to the Canadian border, then do not go into Florida. Stay to the east of that line and do not go to Florida. Not a perfect rule, but you will be ok with that idea, and of course you can decide what you want to do, just my rule of thumb, it worked when I was out there, imho.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
A Free United States Map draw a straight line from Laredo straight up to the Canadian border, then do not go into Florida. Stay to the east of that line and do not go to Florida. Not a perfect rule, but you will be ok with that idea, and of course you can decide what you want to do, just my rule of thumb, it worked when I was out there, imho.

:thumbup: only thing I would add is the upper New England area to the list.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Nothing west of I 35 is a good measure....and nothing under I 10 in Florida....of course a lot depends on circumstances...and PAY....

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
A lot of companies have no clue how to move their trucks out of "weird" areas, such as Nebraska, Kansas, Dakotas, Florida, or New England. Thus, our fear of going to weird places.

I found it necessary sometimes, to find my own way out, with the blessing of my company. It's the difference between being proactive, and having your hand held. Contrary to popular belief, proactive isn't just having your fuel topped off, your face shaved, and your logbooks up to date, for when that QC beeps. For me, it was knowing when I was bugging out, where I was going, whom I was going to call, and how much I would accept. IOW, it was the knowledge of having an out, before I ever got in.