Where did everyone go?

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
What a joke statement. That company don't exist.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Really? Maybe you just haven't looked around enough. I have no idea of your experience in this industry, but it wasn't until my fourth carrier I found the ideal situation.

Of course, if a "family atmosphere", camaraderie, and feeling loved is more important to you than staying busy regardless of where you are while generating great revenue, then I suppose you have little to complain about.

In that case ignore anything I might try to tell you...

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
Please fill me in on a company like this.

Fill you in? Sure.

Simply look for a carrier with national, respected name recognition, who pays great (and not on a $/mile agreement), and is technologically sophisticated enough so you can be confident the dispatch system, while impersonal, is fair and based on the merits of you and your truck.

I'm amazed at the number of owners and drivers who seem to gravitate towards a carrier of which the main drawing card seems to be "treating you like a member of the family" or "making sure you're a name and more than a number with us"!

Since I don't pretend to be a psychologist, I can only guess those individuals crave recognition to the extent it becomes the primary issue - even more important than money, the main reason I'm in business.

Ironically, the very same individuals seem to whine the loudest about loads being scarce and spending time twiddling their thumbs waiting to get out of B.F. Texas.

I have no problem with a company OR an individual being personable, friendly and helpful, but at the risk of sounding cold and mercenary I have to go along with Jerry Maguire's client who said...well, you know what he said.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Fill you in? Sure.

Simply look for a carrier with national, respected name recognition, who pays great (and not on a $/mile agreement), and is technologically sophisticated enough so you can be confident the dispatch system, while impersonal, is fair and based on the merits of you and your truck.

I'm amazed at the number of owners and drivers who seem to gravitate towards a carrier of which the main drawing card seems to be "treating you like a member of the family" or "making sure you're a name and more than a number with us"!

Since I don't pretend to be a psychologist, I can only guess those individuals crave recognition to the extent it becomes the primary issue - even more important than money, the main reason I'm in business.

Ironically, the very same individuals seem to whine the loudest about loads being scarce and spending time twiddling their thumbs waiting to get out of B.F. Texas.

I have no problem with a company OR an individual being personable, friendly and helpful, but at the risk of sounding cold and mercenary I have to go along with Jerry Maguire's client who said...well, you know what he said.

I believe the question is who do you drive for? It seems to make no difference what company drivers you talk to out on the road you will find some loving it and some not so happy.

I have drove for a couple so called large companies and make more slow with my current than supposedly busy with them.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Fill you in? Sure.

ya, well, FedEx ain't it. I'll take where I'm at and be just fine versus a really big nationally recognized company such as you speak of. The rosey picture you see isn't seen by all. Just read the forums and you will see plenty of whining and discontent.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
If your in a straight truck. You should be qualified for everything. Reefer, hazmat and DOD. If your in a regular truck , you shouldn't be complaining. Move to a truck that has the most opportunities. But you will still sit. I would rather drive less miles for more money then drive and drive for crumbs. I have been on both sides. If I was anyone just get qualified for everything you could. Then find that owner that fits your needs.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Fill you in? Sure.

uploadfromtaptalk1368368267669.jpg

sent from my Galaxy Tab2

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Wolverine. Although Fedex is not right for everyone I figure it can't be too bad when you look at how many people leave, only to return.
Others leave, don't find nirvana, and exit the business.
I'm sure many people have left and found happiness. I don't personally know anybody that has switched carriers, from Fedex, and found happiness in the same size vehicle.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
New England is a tough area.
First, Freight movement is dominated by LTL carriers that cross dock and consolidate reducing shipper costs. Then you have freight brokers low balling everything just to get the job, and then you have unregistered and uninsured fly by nighters working for dirt cheap. Add in the high property values taxes, and unrealistic EPA regs the result is reduced manufacturing.
This is why New England is a tough area to run a strait truck.

Bob Wolf

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I will go anywhere except N.Y.C. To hard on the truck. If I was driving someone elses truck I would go.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm sure many people have left and found happiness. I don't personally know anybody that has switched carriers, from Fedex, and found happiness in the same size vehicle.

I know 2 solos in straight trucks that left the Fed and were very happy they did. I don't know Ateam, but reading here it sounds like they don't regret it.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
After I wrote that I thought of A-Team. Knew their name would come up.
With the number that have left, you'd think post Fedex success would be very common.
Dave KC and Bruno are both ex-Fed, I believe.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Im sure there are many more we don't know of. We are by far from perfect but our turn over, I would imagine, is probably one of the lowest if not the lowest in our industry.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I guess my thoughts were fueled by someone that said they were doing so much better at a flat-rate carrier than at Fed,T-Val.
I pm'd her and she insisted it was true. Three months later, the truck's for sale. A few month's later, looking for driver's, the truck is going back to Fedex. My guess is they finally got the calculator out.
The first owner I drove for I think got rid of all his trucks. He just bought two DRs and is putting them on here.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Perhaps you should consider signing on with a carrier where success is assured regardless of the geographical area you deliver to.

I'm out here to run the lower 48... I'm not out here to exclusively run the freight lanes. I enjoy going wherever. Some places more then others. (weather pending) Staying in the same area gets boring :)

As long as the place I'm going will relocate to a place with more freight I'm good to go. Sometimes I can make a exception if I really want to go there or a bonus is on the table :)

Philly cranks some loads... I'd say the most out of any east coast city enless you count Charlotte NC.

Last edited:

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
I believe the question is who do you drive for?

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

That isn't how I interpreted the question, xiggi. I thought I was supposed to enlighten regarding the TYPE of carrier I felt held the best chance for success.

I was fairly certain I outlined that. Why would I suggest a particular carrier? There is no assurance what seems to work for my DR, White Glove, temperature controlled, team truck will work for anyone else, is there?

No way do I want to feel responsible for recommending they try what I've done and end up unhappy in any way! Besides, you and I have paid our dues in terms of our past learning curves; why shouldn't everyone?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
After I wrote that I thought of A-Team. Knew their name would come up.
With the number that have left, you'd think post Fedex success would be very common.
Dave KC and Bruno are both ex-Fed, I believe.
There are lots more. I know several in vans, not to mention straights, who have moved on with success. One of them is an admin here on EO, in fact.