Where Are Van Drivers

M A WEBSTER

Expert Expediter
Have had want ad for driver 1 month. Is the fuel prices scaring potential drivers away? I had one driver that applied, he wanted to drive for me.Stated he wants 80% of everything. Even had the nerve to demand a copy of my financial statement. Even after he read the contract that stated 60/40% to start,with raises in the future. And this is not a snot nosed kid hes 34yrs. I felt like I was the one applying for for a job. Can you beleive that? .I dont think he'll make the grade

Only the GOOD survive

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Of course the fuel prices are keeping drivers away, though there may be some who are just waiting until prices go down some.
Plus, 60% of the revenue from a van isn't enough to pay expenses, for many people - but there are some who can make it work, so you may find a driver yet. The nutjobs you have applying would make a good thread, though - The Strangest Applicant I've Had To Reject, lol. :)

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My Belief is The "B" unit is a Dieing Breed and In the Next 5 years you won't be able to Give a van away. You gonna have to have a Sprinter to move van Freight. My van is with a Small Local Company now working every day and maybe just maybe I can get it to clear a Grand a week. But Back to your Statement those that Don't own are looking for a big rate from Owners so they can make a Living, make what they can before the B unit Vanish's from Expediting.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Asking for a settlement isn't going overboard. I ask to have one, being that I get xx% of everything, that's how I know what everything is. Not saying the owner would cheat us, but there's always that possibility. Moreso, the company isn't always accurate on what they pay. Sometimes, they'll miss a run or an accessorial charge. And since we did the runs, we would be the best to know what's missed.

80% tho? Does he expect company charges, maintainence, and other vehicle expenses to come out of your 20%? That's just a bit rediculous.

M A WEBSTER

Expert Expediter
>Asking for a settlement isn't going overboard. I ask to have
>one, being that I get xx% of everything, that's how I know
>what everything is. Not saying the owner would cheat us, but
>there's always that possibility. Moreso, the company isn't
>always accurate on what they pay. Sometimes, they'll miss a
>run or an accessorial charge. And since we did the runs, we
>would be the best to know what's missed.
>
>80% tho? Does he expect company charges, maintainence, and
>other vehicle expenses to come out of your 20%? That's just
>a bit rediculous.

Only the GOOD survive

Maybe you misunderstood I'm not going to work for him ,he's going to work for me. So my finances are none of his business. (a)Once he starts working for me he'll get a break down of his entitlements on a weekly basis (as to number of miles driven) and other company paid entitlements. As I did when I was leased to a company. ((And raises according to his work performance( no wana work, no getta raise)). How many company bosses do you know when you're applying for a job will let you dictiate your pay and hand over their finances. I don't know of any and i've been in the work force more than 40yrs.You want to work for me you take what I have to offer or "WALK" on down the road.

late for dinner

Expert Expediter
80 percent, that driver don't want to work, he just wants to be able to tell people he is looking. A "B" unit don't gross enough for anyone to make any money if they have to split it with someone. I had drivers in vans with FedEx and Landstar for about six years and only had one driver that made us any real money, all the rest just covered the cost of ownership. I'm sure there is a lot of good hardworking honest drivers out there but you have to look far and wide to fien one. Good Luck

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Looks like the problem here is the term "financial statements" - if that means settlements from the carrier, I agree with Thawk, the driver is entitled to see them, & may spot items the owner overlooked (especially if the owner is running more than one driver). But if "financial statements" means your records from anywhere else, the only response is "Don't call us...& don't hold your breath waiting for us to call you, either!"
When I drove for an owner, I had to push hard to see the weekly settlements, & often didn't get to, (if we were faraway on Friday, & didn't get back for awhile, we'd be too tired to push for paperwork when we got back home) - I couldn't help but wonder what she didn't want me to see. (And now I know - little accessorial payments I didn't even know about, like the New England surcharge, for instance)
Relationships of any kind don't work without honesty from both parties.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Just like it's hard finding an honest owner, it's hard to find a good driver.

MA... I believe I understand what you're saying. If he's wanting YOUR financial info, and not just a copy of the settlements, that sounds weird to me. If it's just the settlements he wants, nothing wrong with that.

As far as having a set pay, I don't agree with you there. Granted, you've been in the work force for 40+ years. Have you been to any interviews where you've haggled your starting wages? I have. Also, this isn't an employment thing, per se. It's a business venture. You have two parties who are independant, who have different views on what one should make off the deal. He has every right to shop his services around for 80%. Is it likely he'll find a taker? No. But it is likely someone will meet him half way... say 70%. It's all in the market. And right now, I see there are more trucks sitting than drivers.

tec1959

Expert Expediter
Thawk why start someone off at the top of the percentage scale,Do you really think starting someone at 70 percent is right or ok??? I know everyone pays different and when someone works hard and takes care of the equiptment yes give them a little 1-2 percent raise.I think its still mostly what 60/40 but i maybe wrong,I've been out of the loop for a couple of years now....P.S.S. Let me add something i miss read your post i think this is the way it should be in good and bad times.O/O's can't give away the house just to fill a drivers seat these days but i maybe wrong and you maybe right buddy...

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Well folks, it's like this in my town. A year ago April 2005 I figgured i'd slow down from the road a bit myself, and allow some owner operators and drivers a great opportunity to enjoy this business and do well in the income department. Here it is April 2006. After attempts to help twenty some different folks get rock'in and roll'in we have two very good O/O left. And, when they're gone that's it. If someone had tried to tell me a year ago that there were so many broke #####, don't wana work, don't wana go east, don't wana handle any freight, don't wana go to Oklahoma, don't wana stay in Texas over the weekend (and brought a load back because he missed his Friday delivery), and, so many other don't wanas, that I've forgotten, i'd have told them "nah, this is America, and folks just want a piece of the American Dream. I bet if I give them an opportunity they'll shine". I don't know how I could have been more wrong in my assessment of the desire to succeed out there. If it ain't a gift, I don't wana go for it.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I'm sorry Webster I didn't answer your question. I believe it's not the price of fuel, it's the work involved.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Like others , I think a cargo van o/o has a tough enough time making a profit without trying to split it with anyone . I'd advise anyone getting into expediting against getting a B unit but if they did buy a good used unit , maintain it well and make decent money once it was paid for .
I'm a member at hotshothauling.com and those o/o's have it tough . Unlike expediting they have to deal with wannabes going out and buying pickups , getting authority and cutting rates . I just posted there advising o/o's there that are good , reliable workers to park the pickups and check opportunities at this site .

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
>Well folks, it's like this in my town. A year ago April
>2005 I figgured i'd slow down from the road a bit myself,
>and allow some owner operators and drivers a great
>opportunity to enjoy this business and do well in the income
>department. Here it is April 2006. After attempts to help
>twenty some different folks get rock'in and roll'in we have
>two very good O/O left. And, when they're gone that's it.
>If someone had tried to tell me a year ago that there were
>so many broke #####, don't wana work, don't wana go east,
>don't wana handle any freight, don't wana go to Oklahoma,
>don't wana stay in Texas over the weekend (and brought a
>load back because he missed his Friday delivery), and, so
>many other don't wanas, that I've forgotten, i'd have told
>them "nah, this is America, and folks just want a piece of
>the American Dream. I bet if I give them an opportunity
>they'll shine". I don't know how I could have been more
>wrong in my assessment of the desire to succeed out there.
>If it ain't a gift, I don't wana go for it.

What happened to giving driver 40%.. driver pays tolls? I'll do it for that and run the others into the ground. TEXAS, OKLA., love to drive out there. Only thing this driver asks is that he doesent sit for days on end awaiting for the next load. And the exercise of loading and unloading does a person good.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I'm not so sure the B unit will die off. My reason for thinking that is there's only going to be so many drivers willing to invest in a Sprinter. This is an ok venture if your expenses aren't out of this world. It can be a losing proposition if you're forced to purchase a vehicle that's $30K+ to start out.

Yes, certain companies will want Sprinters. They may find that not enough people are willing to get one. Also, there's a lot of freight that are 2 skids or less & I think there will always be companies willing to hire those types of vehicles.

Drive safe,
Danny

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Danny is right - there is a need for vans, a lot of smaller stuff has to get there quick, too. Bigger doesn't mean better, right?
There are drivers who seem really anxious to work, too, until they've done it for a couple weeks - then you have to go get your vehicle back from wherever they left it when they decided to go home. But there are also drivers, (like me, she said modestly), who don't wanna go to Canada, or New York, or spend the weekend in Dallas - but we do it anyway, without even grumbling, (at least where anyone can hear it), because we have a work ethic.
When a decent owner connects with a decent driver - maybe neither of them gets rich, but they're both happy, and the prospect of happiness keeps us tryin. :)

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
If the Tractor Trailer side is short some 20,000 drivers then some of that freight has to spill over to B, C, and D units.

Moreover, there are many deliveries where a C or D unit could not be sent. And the dock high issue does have some impact, but with many companies tightening their belts a cargo van saves them money.

I delivered to a Damlier-Chyrsler plant last week and they directed me up to a self-opening door, up a ramp and right into the plant. They even had a neat bar with a hook on the end to grab the second skid. They did everything! And with a smile to boot. Yeah, there is hope!

If I were the Shipping Guru at Delphi or Dana (Both have filed for bankruptcy protection) I would be figuring out the least expensive method to ship my products. And freight companies would be all the wiser to sell their services based upon that premise.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I'm not a van driver, nor do I own vans. I have seen owners post for drivers on here from anywhere between 40%-no fuel to 70% with. 40/60 and 60/40 is the going rate for d-units, I know. But wouldn't you think it's a little low for vans? Being that vans probably avg around $1000/week, that's hardly enough to pay the bills, if that. Just my opinion, but it seems a van isn't big enough for two incomes.

There has to be a happy medium between owner and driver. The driver has bills too. It's up to both parties to realize there has to be some give either way. Not saying to give up the farm, but you have to relate to the one driving the vehicle. If you're not making enough money after the driver earns a living, maybe you aren't doing things the right way.

I once accepted 30% split (15 per driver) with the understanding the truck would make a bundle per mile. Some runs were like that. But others were like we were running old Roberts Express cheap freight. Can't feed a family off of that. Could've done it differently, probably. Cause I do miss that kind of running. But I'll never again accept a percentage so low for a driving position. Could end up that all runs make $3/mi. If so, my reasoning is this... if 15% is enough for a driver, then 60% is enough for the owner. It goes both ways, and driving IS the bread and butter of the expedite industry.

Be fair, and most drivers will go above and beyond. Perfect example... after two loads to NYC in my life, I swore I'd never go again. I even left one job because of it. With my current company, I've been to NYC or Long Island 4 times in a couple months... simply because we're taken care of. Not so much extra money as much as being a given that we're out of there with a darn good run. As long as they understand we don't cross the bridge during rush hour, we're ok.

All I'm trying to say is not enough owners put themselves in drivers' shoes. What you think may be enough for a driver to pay his/her bills, you don't know for sure. Talk to the person before figuring 60/40 split is enough in a van. Cause I sure as hell wouldn't get into one for that rate.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm with those who say that there really isn't enough money in a van to support a driver and make what's left worth an owners time and investment. The talk of the demise of the B-unit has been going on since I've been in the business, along with the log requirement being imposed. Now, it's the Sprinter that is going to kill us. From what I'm hearing, the people that get a premium when they get a Sprinter load are'nt getting it often enough to make it worth while. If I could truly make money with one, I'd go for it. But right now that does'nt seem to be the case.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
A company tightening its belt and using a B unit.

Expediting is a commodity period. You need it where when (tommorow or yesterday). There is no such thing in this industry as said in an above post as watching $ if a customer needs it he needs it PERIOD.

Will not matter if its a D unit truck rate or they get a break with a B unit. And how many carriers would give someone a break just because oh they are nice shippers. That word is not in the Transportion Dictionary.

Great Example, I took one skid of 500 lbs in my D unit yesterday from Long Island all the way down to Charlotte. Think I would give him a break. Nope no Van in the area, too bad you can either give it to me or wait, its your choice Mr. Shipper there will be another load for me in Oh probably 45 minutes....

Thank you for your business mistake I appriciate it. PS thats why we are in business mistakes, overshights, shortages, and new orders with out products to produce the order. Without us assembly lines would shut down, printed materails would miss deadlines, or ........

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Broom,

When you haul a B load do you get a D rate? If so does Mr. Shipper pay that rate or is your company eating the difference?