Where Are Van Drivers

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Sure do or it does not go on my truck. My truck is for Rent at full rate not a dime less unless I choose to take a load to the house. (This shipper had no idea where I lived) Lucky ME.

PS I haul alot of Van loads in my D unit, no trucks available means it goes on a D or it does not go at all.

I could not survive on a C or B unit rate. Remember one thing that the only Boss I ever really had said to me (There is no crime in making money). He also said (Both parties must leave a table satisfied with the arrangment they agreed to, to make it work).

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Whos is ever paying for the sevices? Shipper or Consignee. This probably does not work for some companies. C&M's rate to the truck/van is a set amount. No turning down loads due to $ per mile it all pays the same. A van obviously does not get what a straight truck gets, and I will not run for a discounted rate.

This is why I like my company so much. My truck can only carry just under 12K with my last carrier I was going to be penalized for this. I still feel that it is unfair that for a 10K load just cause my truck would not hold up to 13K that I should be running for a C unit rate when I am a D. To my company they just do not give me loads over 11.5K or they call and ask how much fuel is in my tanks and I make that choice can I take it or not. I recieve the same amount regardless of weight up to 11.5.

Back to your question, the customer is given the amount, and its up to them if they want their goods moved at that amount. If its a Van load I am sure that there are no FECC, Panther, or L.S. or any Vans in that area for me to get it. Thats the beauty of a D unit we can stay loaded cause of all of the different freight we can take.

My costs are much higher, thats the price of doing business. I prefere staying busy and making $ at the same time.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks Broom. I've asked this question before and never got a reply. I guess that in itself suggests what other companies pay "D" units for van loads.

Be safe and have fun.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
The country is at full employment right now, the trucking industry is
better than 10% undermanned, even the new chairmen of the fed mentioned to congress the lack of qualified CDL drivers, so my point is if you want to hire people you better pay them enough to stay competitive. Lets face it, I know fast food restaurants that are paying 14 bucks an hour for english speaking burger flippers.

You're right - he won't work for you, becuase you won't meet his demands isn't the free labor market great!!!

I wouldn't work for you either!!!