Cargo Van When to replace your van

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Isn't the carrier entitled to a profit?
Sure...but should they make a dollar a mile while I make 70 cents and pay fuel maintenance insurance tolls vehicle cost plates etc?

After seeing the inside rates, it's pretty disgusting IMO

I'm good with giving away 30% for them to handle all the paperwork and phone calls but take any more, I'll just go independent and make 100%
I really don't care what the carrier makes..... as long as I'm being paid what need, I'm happy.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sure...but should they make a dollar a mile while I make 70 cents and pay fuel maintenance insurance tolls vehicle cost plates etc?

After seeing the inside rates, it's pretty disgusting IMO

I'm good with giving away 30% for them to handle all the paperwork and phone calls but take any more, I'll just go independent and make 100%

I'll shut up now before the carriers start hunting me down

You know your costs, now multiply that by 100 and the still won't cover a medium size carriers overhead. Just like you got your number that you'll run for, they have a number also.

Sent from the deep end.

Reactions: ntimevan

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You wanna know the inside rates, I took a load from west tx where the 20 meets the 10 to LA for 1500, I showed up to deliver and the customer was pissed and just said she paid 6000 for two skids 3200 lbs from Dallas. So 25% of that went to me. If only I could have made half of that.

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm looking right now for the website that lists the average per mile paid by the customer...last time I looked it was 4.30... all I can find is what we're running for so far...

Last edited:

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Gee I don't know who would break down in west tx...

Russians running for .75 in a 14 sprinter failed to replace alternator at 200k, its known they go out around then. I think they had around 240 on the clock so that van has been moving last couple of years.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
02-06 Sprinter is a tough truck to run more then 600 miles a day in. I hear the guys running the newer ones can do 800 + miles per day. So when you start getting tired on the 650th mile its time to replace the van back to the topic here :woot:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm all over the Promaster 3500 diesels, it's a 2003-2006 sprinter with cheaper parts. When to replace? My system is when a whole new van is cheaper than fixing like a blown motor for example

I've got a 2005 and I'm running as much as I want, until that changes, banking a down payment...hopefully it'll be a cash purchase by then

Reactions: T270_Dreamin

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
van 1.JPG
If the damage can be buffed out and only a door needs replacing then I would keep it.
van 2.jpg
If I was upside down in the loan then I would crawl away and let the lender do the upright thing.

Last edited:

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm all over the Promaster 3500 diesels, it's a 2003-2006 sprinter with cheaper parts. When to replace? My system is when a whole new van is cheaper than fixing like a blown motor for example

I've got a 2005 and I'm running as much as I want, until that changes, banking a down payment...hopefully it'll be a cash purchase by then

I'd be all over the 2017 Vw Crafter if it hit the US market.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Gee I don't know who would break down in west tx...

Russians running for .75 in a 14 sprinter failed to replace alternator at 200k, its known they go out around then. I think they had around 240 on the clock so that van has been moving last couple of years.
I changed mine out at 289k and it was still charging fine.
I did mine as well at 536,000...Just because Turtle gave me his that had like 5,000 miles on it....and proceeded to put 400,000 plus on that on...till I upgraded last year to 120 A

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

I'd be all over the 2017 Vw Crafter if it hit the US market.

wonder what the price would be afterall a VW...

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Wonder if parts & repairs will be any different than a Sprinter?

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They're built in the same factory and I think the only difference besides trim is the VW uses their own diesel. The old model was way underpowered.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
02-06 Sprinter is a tough truck to run more then 600 miles a day in. I hear the guys running the newer ones can do 800 + miles per day. So when you start getting tired on the 650th mile its time to replace the van back to the topic here :woot:

This post has been on my mind for a couple of days. Having a 02 Sprinter, distance vs tiredness has never been a issue for me. I'm not really sure what your talking about o_O

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

This post has been on my mind for a couple of days. Having a 02 Sprinter, distance vs tiredness has never been a issue for me. I'm not really sure what your talking about o_O
me neither....my 05 can be too easy at times...lulling me to sleep...