Cargo Van When to replace your van

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This week's Bambi problem could have forced me to replace my current low top van, but it is to be fixed.

That said, when should a smart vanner replace his/her van? I know I'm missing out on some freight by not being Sprinter height, but how much?

The current van is in pretty good shape, except for a tick in the area of cylinder #8. It's a 4.6, with 357k on it and has been maintained well but not perfectly. The tick sounds like a lifter issue and is fairly quiet except for the first 3 seconds of running. It has one awesome feature: it's paid off .

Wise ones, what say you?

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This week's Bambi problem could have forced me to replace my current low top van, but it is to be fixed.

That said, when should a smart vanner replace his/her van? I know I'm missing out on some freight by not being Sprinter height, but how much?

The current van is in pretty good shape, except for a tick in the area of cylinder #8. It's a 4.6, with 357k on it and has been maintained well but not perfectly. The tick sounds like a lifter issue and is fairly quiet except for the first 3 seconds of running. It has one awesome feature: it's paid off .

Wise ones, what say you?

Keep it until it coughs up a lung, my 09 Ford does just fine. And paid for.

Undisputed King of Short Runs

acvox24

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I rarely get a run that's over 4 feet tall. But that's Panther might be different for other carriers.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: xmudman

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Wise ones, what say you?
First things first before you lay out the cash....
1. How much longer you going to be in this business?
2. You've been in the business for quite some time now.....It is NOT always about the load size..its about YOUR lifestyle, the comforts lets say....not having to get a room all the time ....it is nice break to get out of our tuna cans at times tho...You could cook more meals onboard and have some creature comforts...like standing up to put your pants on...the little things you are denied now...to turn around from the front seat and walk to the back...

In what I've observed both the Promaster and Transit need another model year to make the changes to North American driving habits...I would watch the 2017 models carefully on here and the other forums they have for what are the issues and make your choice then.....

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
An experienced van fleet owner/driver once told me that a typical well maintained expedited gasser van should be able to hold up to about 600k. That's the time when the the replacement should be considered.

But if the frequent costly repairs, headaches and stresses are winning, forget about the 600k goal. Not a joyful feeling.

Personally, my joyful feeling, I love driving the back roads of the Midwest and sipping warm coffee early in the morning knowingly that my engine or trans will not fall off next to the cornfield, Lol...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
An experienced van fleet owner/driver once told me that a typical well maintained expedited gasser van should be able to hold up to about 600k. That's the time when the the replacement should be considered.

But if the frequent costly repairs, headaches and stresses are winning, forget about the 600k goal. Not a joyful feeling.

Personally, my joyful feeling, I love driving the back roads of the Midwest and sipping warm coffee early in the morning knowingly that my engine or trans will not fall off next to the cornfield, Lol...
With the models being offered now there is no guarantee of that not happening LOL

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

With the models being offered now there is no guarantee of that not happening LOL

Totally Lol....

That's why I preferred buying used, a few years old. Hopefully most of the glitches are corrected. Parts and repairs are available for DIY or from locally trusted mechanic without having to go to the dealer based services.

Spudfyre

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Given that a large percentage of loads on pallets measure under 50" high and are 48" x 48", it seems that the only reason for a tall van is for the driver to stand up in, or for really crappy forklift drivers.
Personally, I far prefer the durability of a V8 and the body on frame that can take a good whack and doesn't become a twisted wreck like a unibody. I'm most impressed with my Chevy, gas mileage is darn good. It seems to be perfectly constructed for carrying 2 48" x 48" pallets. It also, has that Eaton locking differential which up here in the snow belt is an amazing piece of hardware for staying unstuck in snow and ice (with good winter tires).

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hard to beat the GM 6.0 gasser for durability. I sold my last Chevy with 819,759 miles on it. Word is it will be turning 900,000 miles before the end of the year.
Special When Lit - Copy.png

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hard to beat the GM 6.0 gasser for durability. I sold my last Chevy with 819,759 miles on it. Word is it will be turning 900,000 miles before the end of the year.
End of the week if I'm not lazy

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
you guys should remember there are 2 people in the OP's van...which make for tighter fit so to speak....JuJu and I traded bigger for just that reason....not because the old Dodge van was done....but we were done with trying to pack all our stuff and try to squeeze in 2 full sized skids and try to sleep and cook....

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I don't know the value of a used sprinter, but, the one VanDriver2 is selling is in excellent condition. Lisa really took care of it well.

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch

Reactions: xmudman

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Another reason I hesitated on buying a new van is the election. I figured that Trump would do a better job at trying to bring jobs back to the USA, whereas Clinton would make things worse by doubling down on Obama's globalism. We shall see, I suppose.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Another reason I hesitated on buying a new van is the election. I figured that Trump would do a better job at trying to bring jobs back to the USA, whereas Clinton would make things worse by doubling down on Obama's globalism. We shall see, I suppose.
I know once JuJu had something bigger she said she'd never go back to small.... so we bought the sprinter you dirty minded group.....LOL

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I would wait on getting a new van right now. I've heard 2018 is/should be the year for a change. I would by the Transit 350 high roof extended. I would keep running hard and save up and put a good down payment on one. Also that would give you extra time to ask Ford ect to find out about what's coming out.