Cargo Van When to replace your van

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I did mine as well at 536,000...Just because Turtle gave me his that had like 5,000 miles on it....and proceeded to put 400,000 plus on that on...till I upgraded last year to 120 A
Bearing and overrunning clutch are fine, just the electronics bolted on are shot...cheap spare if I fix...
They're built in the same factory and I think the only difference besides trim is the VW uses their own diesel. The old model was way underpowered.
I was inspired to check it out, it's still way underpowered (vw tdi 2.0 car motor in various power outputs) but they were complaining it only gets 37 mpg (imperial gallons) and the others were getting over 40, euro 6 meaning Def fluid...they don't share tech with Mercedes anymore but it's basically a sprinter with some cheaper parts
me neither....my 05 can be too easy at times...lulling me to sleep...
There's an easy fix for that, don't change your shocks :p

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
02-06 Sprinter is a tough truck to run more then 600 miles a day in. I hear the guys running the newer ones can do 800 + miles per day. So when you start getting tired on the 650th mile its time to replace the van back to the topic here :woot:

This post has been on my mind for a couple of days. Having a 02 Sprinter, distance vs tiredness has never been a issue for me. I'm not really sure what your talking about o_O

What I'm trying to say is smoothness of suspension, quieter cab, being able to go fast (i run at 70 speedometer speed with cruise on to keep fuel consumption and engine wear down) suspensions seats all contribute to comfort. The T1N sprinter will beat you up after 700 miles, just do a 800 mile day and see what I mean. I ran 1400 miles straight with a 2.5 hr nap couple weeks ago I suppose I'm pushing the limits but with a modern sprinter I'm sure I could go faster and also not have to listen to road noise not that I don't like the 02-06 sprinter but I think I'd be capable of driving longer hours and getting there faster in a newer machine. Eager to see the long awaited release next year.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
(i run at 70 speedometer speed with cruise on to keep fuel consumption and engine wear down)....

I could go faster.....

Seriously? This isn't Nascar. You run 70 and think it keeps fuel consumption down and you want to drive faster. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

It might not be the van that's wearing you out.

Last edited:

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The new 2018 sprinters ... super -single .... GVW somewhere around 9950 lbs ... prepare to be disappointed ..... ONLY 48 1/2 inches between wheel wells .... thats right narrower inside ... my friend from Bolt just canceled his order on new one for that reason ...

Sent from my SM-G900M using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: xiggi

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
mmmmm
The new 2018 sprinters ... super -single .... GVW somewhere around 9950 lbs ... prepare to be disappointed ..... ONLY 48 1/2 inches between wheel wells .... thats right narrower inside ... my friend from Bolt just canceled his order on new one for that reason ...

don't know why....mines barely 49......48 3/4

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

The 2018 isn't out and they haven't released any specs to the public. Not sure how he could order one already?

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The 2018 isn't out and they haven't released any specs to the public. Not sure how he could order one already?
Well i have seen him buy 2 new Sprinters in last 4 years ... Fort Mitchell is his Dealer ... i stood beside him at the Expo while the early discussions on new purchase were discussed .... So i am believing what the Fort Mitchell dealer is telling him ....

PS .... his orignal delivery date was set for June 2017

Reactions: T270_Dreamin

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I remeasured I was incorrect
It's a tight 50"
But that said 48 1/2 I'd have no problem it wouldn't stop me from buying a new one

Reactions: ntimevan

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's a tight 50"
But that said 48 1/2 I'd have no problem it wouldn't stop me from buying a new one
I've never thought much about needing more than 48". Interesting
I am spoiled with 55" between the wheel well ...
My friend loves his Spr.s gets the longest , tallest that he can get... espar , rooftop AC , battery bank , air bags under rear end to level off heavy loads ... propane Honda generator mounted inside an aluminim box attached to rear door , bed mounted on side wall , fully insulated with fully interior carpet surfaces ... but yet he wants every inch for freight ...

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's a tight 50"
I've never thought much about needing more than 48". Interesting
I am spoiled with 55" between the wheel well ...
My friend loves his Spr.s gets the longest , tallest that he can get... espar , rooftop AC , battery bank , air bags under rear end to level off heavy loads ... propane Honda generator mounted inside an aluminim box attached to rear door , bed mounted on side wall , fully insulated with fully interior carpet surfaces ... but yet he wants every inch for freight ...

Measured today, 50" light on the cut... where does he mount the battery bank and what kinda insulation did he go with? I'm sure the carpet walls help sound insulate. I heard people using do many different types of insulation I would like to do some research and find out the best type to use. Sounds like a nice rig! Nothing wrong with a clean simple set up. The extended Sprinters are the way to go, I used to drive the 12fters and you can never have too much room. Now in 158.