Cargo Van When to replace your van

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Last I checked bolt is paying .95-1.05. I also heard load one pays good but you have to get on a list and wait. PTL pays decent I hear but can't get you more then 1200-1400 miles a week but that was a while back when I talked to them. Panther was at .75-80 with surcharge. They don't give any special incentives or better pay for a sprinter, they treat you like a e 150 low top short wheel base 1500 lb capacity van :)

PTL .80 plus fsc, for now...

Undisputed King of Short Runs

Panther paying .80 with the surcharge give or take. When I worked for them I made a healthy .97-$1.00 and I was one of the lower paying vans, I could never convince them for the .03 per raise so I had to be happy with just having the hazmat making extra .03 per mile.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Last I checked bolt is paying .95-1.05. I also heard load one pays good but you have to get on a list and wait. PTL pays decent I hear but can't get you more then 1200-1400 miles a week but that was a while back when I talked to them. Panther was at .75-80 with surcharge. They don't give any special incentives or better pay for a sprinter, they treat you like a e 150 low top short wheel base 1500 lb capacity van :)
Don't believe the Cream of the Loads pricing your hearing ... thats Not a weekly or monthly average per mile ... i have EO friends leased to those 3 you listed ... back 3 years ago those rates were common ... Today's rates ... no way

Sent from my SM-G900M using EO Forums mobile app

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok so lets have some real life drivers chime in with some real world real life statistics ;) I'm clearing a buck a mile but I gotta wait a long time for loads which I'm fine with because I only take long hauls or short runs no in between stuff (I don't leave the house for less then a grand+ fuel unless I'm returning home same or next day). I may go down to .90 but don't think I'll go lower unless I wanna get out of the house for a joy ride. I go into territories where fleet owners advise their drivers not to go :cool::eek: I've got this down to a science and I'm ok not selling out to cheap rates!

Last edited:
Reactions: RoadTime

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am Not in this business to sit ..

I am in this business to make $$ ..
I am Happy ..myself .. to run 3000 plus paid miles per week for .86 ..

I will Not sit days waiting for 700 to 1000 miles a week for $ 1.00 per Loaded mile ... this thinking equals to Bankruptcy in my mind ... but everyone sees it differently and thats fine for them ... but Not Me ....
Been out here 13 years and just finished my best month Ever ... November ... 25 days in service .. 15,900 paid miles ... Momma very happy ... so Happy Wife = Happy Life ...

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok so lets have some real life drivers chime in with some real world real life statistics ;) I'm clearing a buck a mile but I gotta wait a long time for loads which I'm fine with because I only take long hauls or short runs no in between stuff (I don't leave the house for less then a grand+ fuel unless I'm returning home same or next day). I may go down to .90 but don't think I'll go lower unless I wanna get out of the house for a joy ride. I go into territories where fleet owners advise their drivers not to go :cool::eek: I've got this down to a science and I'm ok not selling out to cheap rates!

If I waited for a buck a mile I'd be broke in a week. I run short for the most part and make money doing it.

Reactions: ntimevan

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You gotta go from a owner operator to a fleet owner to a driver-owner to be able to do these buck a mile rates! :D

Low overhead is key not being in debt is key.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You gotta go from a owner operator to a fleet owner to a driver-owner to be able to do these buck a mile rates! :D

Low overhead is key not being in debt is key.
No big name Expedite company is going to take on older spr-type vans unless in mint condition ...
And your NOT going to keep drivers in your vans that are getting 1200 to 1300 paid miles per week ... so your vans will be sitting withour Drivers while waiting for loads ....
This is not my Business model for making money ...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You guys have me feeling all warm and fuzzy inside. No payments, 2005 van, all the miles I want at rates you're discussing and above...and no he stopped hiring for now :p

Now to convince the wife to let me work more than 3 days a week....

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You guys have me feeling all warm and fuzzy inside. No payments, 2005 van, all the miles I want at rates you're discussing and above...and no he stopped hiring for now :p

Now to convince the wife to let me work more than 3 days a week....

More than 3 days a week?? I'd quit!

schwanman

Expert Expediter
No matter how the company pays it equals about the same at end of the year. If not. We would all be working for one company. Your true number is at the end of the year. Then you can compare year to year. Your on the right track with expenses. That's where you make the most money. Dead head is the big killer.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No matter how the company pays it equals about the same at end of the year. If not. We would all be working for one company. Your true number is at the end of the year. Then you can compare year to year. Your on the right track with expenses. That's where you make the most money. Dead head is the big killer.

Deadhead for free is the big killer.

Reactions: ntimevan and xiggi

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Deadhead for free is the big killer.

My last company was 50% unpaid deadhead. They had their own customers which paid well, but no paid deadhead and they didn't do back hauls very often. I lasted 4 months there after switching to a diesel sprinter, and that's staying too long!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Whenever dispatch told.me it pays x a loaded mile i always replied with, I can't drive only.loaded miles.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am Not in this business to sit ..

I am in this business to make $$ ..
I am Happy ..myself .. to run 3000 plus paid miles per week for .86 ..

I will Not sit days waiting for 700 to 1000 miles a week for $ 1.00 per Loaded mile ... this thinking equals to Bankruptcy in my mind ... but everyone sees it differently and thats fine for them ... but Not Me ....
Been out here 13 years and just finished my best month Ever ... November ... 25 days in service .. 15,900 paid miles ... Momma very happy ... so Happy Wife = Happy Life ...

Now break it down
Base rate is .80 and variable FSC currently set at .06 for that .86 you quoted :)

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Base rate...too complicated...we get whatever we can out of every load and I get proof of what was charged

Had enough of a carrier collecting more than I make off a run

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Isn't the carrier entitled to a profit?
Sure...but should they make a dollar a mile while I make 70 cents and pay fuel maintenance insurance tolls vehicle cost plates etc?

After seeing the inside rates, it's pretty disgusting IMO

I'm good with giving away 30% for them to handle all the paperwork and phone calls but take any more, I'll just go independent and make 100%

I'll shut up now before the carriers start hunting me down

Last edited: