What's Free in Trucking?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
A comment was made in another thread that "nothing is free in trucking." That's not quite true, is it? Some things are free, like the following:

- Free shower with 50 gallon fuel purchase.
- Free meals at truck stops on certain holidays or appreciation events.
- Free hotel at certain company training or celebration events.
- Free one-night stay for truckers at a hotel in Vegas.
- Free DOT inspections from Landstar (if you pass the inspection)
- Free apples and water handed to you at TA on occasion.
- Free parking at most truck stops.
- Free log books provided by carrier.
- Free food at carrier training events.
- Free goodies (some quite nice) from carriers recognizing years of service.
- Free goodies (some quite nice) from carriers recognizing safety milestones.
- Free promotional items given out at truck shows (pens, window scrapers, etc.).
- Free (at FedEx Custom Critical) trip for Four Star contest winners.
- Free admission to the Expedite Expo.
- Free admission to the ExpeditersOnline workshops.
- Free subscription to ExpediteNOW magazine.

What else comes to mind?

Monty

Expert Expediter
Nothing is free, ever .. except maybe advise and it's worth what you pay for it. At no additional cost is the best you can do.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Shower isn't free, since you had to buy 50 gallons of fuel, if you don't buy the fuel then it's 12 bucks up for that free shower

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Free air for your tires? ( its a stretch but I did not want to be left out here )

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

mugurpe

Seasoned Expediter
I've gotten some free come-alongs that I found in a hotel parking lot that someone apparently forgot to secure before they left... And they saved themselves a ticket for having unsecured equipment on the back of their truck....

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Tall tales, wildly improbable yarns, and supreme political expertise with your coffee/food at the counter of any truckstop restaurant.
And jokes that Groucho Marx would have groaned at. ;)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Free stuff you can actually use includes ice & water at truckstops [in your own container], use of the microwave at same, and showers on the Ohio Turnpike.
And faxes, if you grab the Pilot magazine and clip the coupon that is in there every month.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
Free stuff you can actually use includes ice & water at truckstops [in your own container], use of the microwave at same, and showers on the Ohio Turnpike.
And faxes, if you grab the Pilot magazine and clip the coupon that is in there every month.

Totally forgot about that free fax coupon

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That pretty much sums up the free stuff with the addition of the use of urinals, toilets and mostly free parking. I'd include window wash and the squeegee thing at the Flying/Pilot except they use way too much soap in the wash, so I use my own wash and squeegee thing. If it wasn't for the showers and coffee I would completely avoid the Flying/Pilot.