What Van For You?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
The traditional Chevrolet/GMC cargo van, or the ever more popular Sprinter. Those are the choices for an expediter contemplating the purchase of a van to lease on to any one of the national expedite carriers.

Price is always a factor when we purchase any type of vehicle, but other factors often trump the price if we deem them important, either for comfort, ease in job performance, or return of investment. For the purpose of comparison, I've e-shopped for three different 2006 cargo vans. I list them by barebones MSRP followed by the MSRP, including the minimum options that I would choose for myself.

Sprinter - Model 2500, 158" wheelbase, high top: $35,005 / $38,234

Chevrolet - Model 3500, ext. wheel base V-8 gas: $26,779 / $29,224

Ford - Model E-350, extended wheel base V-8 gas: $27,515 / $30,000
(Ford options estimated because that portion of the Ford site not functional)

Armed with this generic price information, what are the reasons you chose, or would choose, to buy a particular brand or style of cargo van? Each of these vans has a comparable weight capacity. The sprinter has greater volume capacity. Is this the reason it has become an increasingly more popular choice, even with the $8,000 premium that gives many of use pause to invest the extra money.

For those of you that operate a Sprinter, would you replace it with another Sprinter? Why, or why not?

For those of you with a Ford or Chevy/GMC, would you replace it with another Ford or Chevy/GMC? Why, or why not?

There are modifications to the Ford and Chevrolet such as the addition of a "turtle top", a box on a cutaway or the aerocel type modifications that I have not considered, but perhaps an owner of such would volunteer their rationale for buying such a vehicle in lieu of a traditional van.

Personally, I will be relpacing my Chevrolet in the coming year and I'm inclined to replace it in kind; however, I have an open mind and like many other folks, I value our members' opinions an look forward to yours.

Terry

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I use the Ford vans because of the durability, and looks. I Like the 5.4 engine in a 1-ton extended frame. Never drove or owned a GM van. My thoughts are that the Ford vans work why change.

Ford and GM are owned by US corporations this is also a factor in my van choices.

I would only consider the Sprinter if I had a local small package route. The volume would be important.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
If I was going to buy another van? GMC - of course Diesel (aka Duramax). I will consider a Ford but the 6.0 is scary, HPOP? Weird.

Sprinter, out of my price range now, I can get a fully loaded GMC for two thirds of the price of a sprinter (not exactly but with my discounts etc..) and the difference in lost revenue is small and the fuel cost are not a consideration.

My first choice for configuration would be an aerocell SRW, but I would go with a turtle top or something like that other wise – got to stand up.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The Aerocell is by far the most interesting choice to me. It offers more interior volume than a Sprinter so you can build out the interior with more creature comforts if you choose to. It also can hold 2 40x48 skids side by side because it's wider than the others. I believe you can put up to a 14' body on a 1 ton chassis in either Ford or GM trim. They offer up to a 17' body but that requires a 4500 chassis I think.

The Aerocell SRW is also a very interesting vehicle. That is the one dieseldoctor has done such amazing things with. I don't know the overall dimensions but it is similar to the Sprinter I believe and you for sure can stand up in it. It is also available either Ford or GM.

I think about vans at least once a week when I want to stop to eat somewhere or I want to do something else that isn't truck friendly for parking. If I were to do one it would be an Aerocell 17' on a 4500 chassis. I don't know if I'd go with Ford or GM and would probably go with deisel power. I'd have to run a log book but it will only be a year or two until all vans are forced to log anyway.

I'd go with the 17' regular Aerocell model and set it up with a raisable bed system like dieseldoctor has in his SRW. I'd get somewhere like Bentz or ICT to put one of their lower counter systems with the sink along one wall and their upper cabinet system that holds tv/microwave/dvd above it. On the opposite side I'd get a Sprintergen mounted as well as 2 or 3 heavy duty deep cycle batteries. I'd have a couple of closet type lockers as well as a couple of drawer systems on that side as well. A Coleman roof a/c and a pair of fantastic vents on the roof and an Espar would take care of comfort in any climate. Satellite radio, a large shelf of books and plenty of Dr. Pepper and it would be pretty well set to go.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

MSinger

Expert Expediter
It's kind of hard to compare apples to apples on these since the Sprinter comes standard with a diesel engine. Add the $5500-5800 diesel option to the Ford or GM's and you are right in the same ball park. I would have to go with the high roof Sprinter in that case.
If 15 mpg vs 22 mpg is not a concern than by all means go with the traditional gassers. Terry, I know you have had excellent service from your current GM gasser but is that the exception or the rule?
I would be real leary of the Ford 6.0 diesel as well. The 7.3's were tried and true for the most part other than the usual tranny problems but the 6.0's have had many other issues. Just my 2 cents.

iheartfaye

Expert Expediter
Hi Gang,

I would probably stay with a Chevy Van like I have now. I bought a used 1997 Express 1-ton Extended with 104k miles on it and have been very impressed so far. If for nothing than peace of mind, it is great to pay cash ($4400) for something that is very reliable and has a great payload capacity.

As far as a Sprinter and turtle tops....this is crazy but I have a simple answer to what I think about that! McDonald's drive-thru. hahaha. The thought of having to expend energy by leaving my truck and having to walk in to get my quarter pounder...holy cow.

My biggest peeve with the Chevy is the lack of left leg room for the driver. It seems impossible for me to stretch out my left leg and I am not very tall. The parking brake prevents me from being comfortable. The Ford vans I have driven have a sunken area at the door allowing you to hang your leg down. I can't remember being able to stretch out completely in the Ford but I do remember it being way more comfortable on the long hauls.

Brian

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
i drive a 2005 hightop 158 in sprinter, will i buy another one?? yes...22 mpg i have taken 3 skids at a 33 cent premium...75000 miles and only problem has been replacing the light bulb total time is under a minute..price was 32500.00 with most of the luxuries offered even lumbar seats, with michigan sales tax closer to 35000.00 out the door. you can put a 68 in sleeper conversion in it and still haul the standard 2 skids...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm on my 2nd Chevrolet long wheelbase gasser. I've been very satisfied with both.
In the past buying a van was easier. Ford or Chevy? Gas or diesel? Now there is the Sprinter and Areocell bodies. The possibility of the Feds requiring log books for vans could influence one's choice. Will you need room for a sleeper that meets D.O.T. specifications? Will customers demand a larger "B" size vehicle?
Will an alternative fuel engine work for expediting? The decisions will not be easy.
I just read that in 2007 the Sprinters in-line 5 cylinder diesel will be replaced by a V-6 diesel. Also a 4 cylinder gas engine will be an option. More choices!
I almost forgot that the DuraMax is now available in GM/Chev van. Dhalltoyo is keeping us informed there.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If you are sold on the chevy, I would stick with something that has worked for you. I don't have any vans but I as well like the Aero concept. You get the durability that you are use to, and alittle more room for living. Not sure how they price compare??? but comfort has a value.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ChopChop

Expert Expediter
Terry, I sure would like to keep in touch with you and see what you do. I have an '05 Sprinter 6mo old 50,000 miles on it. In my old business (construction) I have owned 22 new Fords and 27 new Cheverlots over a period of 17 years. With all the numbers and all the spread sheets on my CPM about the only absolute I found was they all broke down at the worst time at the most expensive place. The only true difference in running all these vehichles was the unknown the $3500.00 rear end goes out or the transmission goes early, or you smoke a motor. Bottom line is that I would rather have the "good Ford" or the '"good Chev" problem is ya can't walk on the lot and pick "the good one out " only time and miles will tell. That being said I went with the Sprinter. I can document 1.75 loads per month that I have run that a cargo van will not haul. In my case the translation is 658 extra miles or $769.00. The loads range from 1 - 36"x36"x126" 175lb.box to 4 - 38" x38"x60" skids at 350 lb. each to 3 - 48"x 42" x48" skids at 775lb. each. I know for sure I have moved in front of cargo vans in each of these loads. What I do not know is how long I would have sat in a cargo van to get the next load out? In theory I brought in an extra $769.00 a month........ But had I been in a cargo van that moved an hour later... I made nothing extra. I console myself with the knoledge that I can stand up in the morning to put my pants on. I get a lot out of your posts on the site and hope to meet you some day. PS If you decide on the Sprinter call Dodge customer service first. Tell them you have a Sprinter, that the speedo reads 3MPH fast, the brakes make noise/chatter, the cargo lights fall apart every 3-4 months, and it smokes like heck after you idle for 6 hrs. or so, and every now and then when you hit the road you have no power so you stop shut down for 30 seconds restart and the problem goes away. (does not set a code so there is no problem) all other conditions are "normal". I am of course being "flip" I am going to add a van can't decide which way to go, sure would like to find a "good Sprinter"

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
LDB, you say that vans will be logging in a year or two. Is this from a source or an opinion? I've heard nothing. It's my opinion that if it were going to happen it would have with the recent changes. I will be buying a van(or something) by the end of the year. If we are going to have to log that would most likely make me want to move up to a C or D.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Vans logging are my opinion. I see it as inevitable with the time frame being the only unknown.

OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
-----

vango

Expert Expediter
What sleeper companies are best to use in outfitting a van, and or a sprinter? Found Midway,Phoenix in Knoxville,and Bentz.Are there others?How has craftmanship and quality worked out?They seem to be about 8/10k for a nice package.Also,what would be the mpg be on the 2007 Sprinter v6 engine?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
MSinger is correct in his statement as follows:

It's kind of hard to compare apples to apples on these since the Sprinter comes standard with a diesel engine. Add the $5500-5800 diesel option to the Ford or GM's and you are right in the same ball park.

I was not looking to promote the Ford / Chev gassers as better than the Sprinter because they are cheaper to purchase. I was pointing out the prices to establish a starting point to analyze the life cycle cost of owning and operating each of the vehicles. I consider my van to be nothing more than a tool to accomplish the job at hand. I bought my present Chevrolet because I determined that it would be cheaper to operate than either of the two Ford diesels I previously owned; my decision proved to be the correct choice.

I bought my Chev two weeks before the unveiling of the Sprinter in the USA. I was at that event and after over an hour inspecting the Sprinter and talking with the German Engineers and the Marketing Manager from Greer, SC, I regretted having bought the Chevrolet. Subsequently, I talked with several owners of the early Mercedes and Freightliner badged Sprinters, and I was pleased to have bought the Chev when I did. That first batch of Sprinters were unreliable, overly expensive to maintain and prohibitively expensive to repair.

Times have changed, the Sprinters have improved and I'd like to evaluate the desireability of owning either one of the available vans to get the job done. The purpose of my post was the expectation that some of the members would share their rationale for making their van buying choices

klippencott

Expert Expediter
I have the low roof Sprinter, I can stand up and walk around in it. I can also go through McDonalds with no problem. I'm not sure what people use the high-roof Sprinters for, seems like wasted space to me.

After owning Fords and Chevys this Sprinter is my favorite. I really like the MPG. I've gotten as high as 30 mpg out of mine but usually it runs around 25 mpg. I was closer to 22 mpg when it was new but as it started getting some miles on it the MPGs went up.

I have 118" wheel base and can haul 2 skids and 3850 pounds in it. It also tows well. I pulled my boat and a flat bed load with a farm tractor. The Sprinter never missed a beat.

I vote for the Sprinter!!!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If it isn't getting too personal could you tell us your height and how much room you have between your head and the roof of your Sprinter? That would give an idea of just how tall a person could stand up in the low roof model. If the interior height was enough for the driver I'd think that would be the way to go. As you say, you can go through drive throughs and with less frontal area get better mpg. I don't know how often you might miss out on an over height load though. Perhaps someone running a high roof Sprinter can tell us how often the height pays off.

OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
-----

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
for a sprinter conversion midway specialties has the best prices for the sprinter i believe...i saw one that a husband and wife had converted. lots of cupboards, bed with storage, tv fridge even a 2500 power converter, roof fan, microwave, they paid 3000.0 including insulation and carpet...even had the privacy curtain that swings around the front window...they had it done in the beginning of 2005 so prices may have changed, and i believe thats who greigers have do there custom sprinters ph# 574-264-2530 oh i am 5ft 10in and can walk thru my sprinter standing up

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The low roof Sprinter has an inside height of 64" and is not available in the 158" model. The high roof has an inside height of 73" and comes in 140" and 158" wheelbases. This could change with 2007 model.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
64" seems like it would be tight. If you add insulation and something on the floor it might drop to 60" to 62" mark.
I would be dragging my head and losing hair.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Sprinter has been around for a while now and I've yet to meet, or hear of, someone that has reached 500k and is happy. Or, even just reached 500k. My experience is that the higher the miles, the more unhappy Sprinter owners seem to be. There also seems to be the feeling that that engine will not achive high miles. My 845k Powerstroke as an example. Would love to hear stories contrary to my experience.

Oh, Dave, when a person reaches a certain age, isn't it great to still have hair to lose?