What Van For You?

apollo

Expert Expediter
I am still considering a Sprinter when I decide to hit the road. I see the fuel savings alone would more than cover the extra few thousand dollars in the first year alone. 22mpg versus 13 or 14 mpg? Add to that the extra revenue ChopChop reports earning because of the extra volume in the Sprinter, then you come out ahead again.

I had considered designing a sleeper area myself. It would have a bed that could slide towards the back of the seats and then fold up in a vertical position behind them. That way you could use the cargo area for 3 pallets if needed. Has anyone considered removing the passenger seat and use it for an area to have a refrigerator with micowave on top of it or utilize that space in some way? :)

I am all for a National Health Care plan!
[font color="blue"]Quit drinking sodas, no fast food, quit smoking, exercise every other day at least 30 minutes, drink 8 glasses of water a day, eat fruit and vegetables and control your caloric intake![/color]

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Highway star wrote

Oh, Dave, when a person reaches a certain age, isn't it great to still have hair to lose?
===========================================
It certainly is. I have to vote on a high top van. Much more cost efficient than Hair Club for Men.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Regarding hair loss, it has been said that good people come out on top.

talkinghorse43

Expert Expediter
Sprinter sold on Ebay a while back that had reached 561k miles. Probably a good one. The condition note said the transmission was slipping at the 2-3 shift and had been since 250k. Probably means they didn't put any significant $ into it to keep it going.

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi
In my opinion Sprinters are destroying the expedite industry.Before the Sprinter came out 2 vans would of been called in to take these bigger loads or one 5 ton.The customer would of paided more to get the freight hauled and wouldn't of questioned it.Yes it's better for the customers but it's bad for us.So if your company has 20 Sprinters and each one of them hauls 20 of these loads per year thats 400 less loads for the regular vans and 5 tons per year.In my opinion it's just another way to cut the rates.

With that said my next van will probably be a Sprinter just instead of hauling bigger loads I'm going for a huge bunk.I don't like the way they look or the price but Ford doesn't make a 7.3l anymore and I don't trust the Duramax.The gasser have too small of a cooling system and don't get good enough mpg's and the engine compartment is so crowded the average mechanic doesn't want to work on them.

I don't like hearing that Dodge is going to change the engine it's a proven fact the an odd number of cyclinders give better proformance.With a 6 cyclinder you are always going to have a dead cyclinder.Plus they didn't get all the bugs worked out of the last motor now they have to start all over again.Why so the thing can run 100 miles an hour instead of 96 miles an hour.How much more fuel is it going to burn.How much more weight is that 1 cyclinder going to add.How much harder is it going to be to get parts.Now they will have to stock parts for both motors.Why mess with something that ain't broken.

FMX WW EXPRESS

Expert Expediter
What mileage does a new gm gasser 6.0 get versus a 7.3 ps. Running light loads at less than 1000 lbs. I have a 2002 E350 ps and am considering adding a new gm 6.0. Thank in advance.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Hey everyone. I know this thread is about 5 months old, but I am asking the same questions about vans right now.

I have a Ford. My last was a Ford. My first tranny got 325k. I retired the beast a little earier than some, at 370k. I had gotten T-boned in traffic one time. The second T-bone happened while at the mechanic shop by a runaway car. LOL. Needless to say, the frame just never seemed right after that. So I finally said goodbye to it.

I would gladly buy a Ford again. Maybe a diesel this time? My top choices would be:

--Ford or GM extended w/ Turtle top. Does anyone know anyone who does these in the south that come with the taller doors?

--Ford or GM cutaway with a box. Does anyone make a lightweight sleeper I could throw on between cab and box? How about one that leaves a longer cab (crew cab) before the box? I could make that into a sleeper.

--Thirdly, I may consider a Sprinter 2500SHC (158").

If anyone has leads on these conversions listed, it would be greatly appreciated. I have Googled till my eyes are blurry. Just haven't found as much as I'd like.

Jeff

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I tried the Sprinter 2500 long wheelbase high roof because of the available space inside for my comfort and for that freight volume. So far I like the Sprinter just fine and I know I've been busier than some vans because of the extra space available for odd sized freight. I can carry 3 skids but I have a folding sleeper that is very comfortable. If I got out of this business tomorrow I'd probably keep my sprinter.
As far as the next van goes, I really can't say yet. I'm not happy with the dealer base. Many Dodge dealers and most Freighliner dealers really don't know how to service them properly. Dodge dealers are seldom open on weekends and most don't understand that commercial vehicles are needed back on the job as soon as possible. The Dodge dealer in Denver told me it would be 7 days before he could even look at my van. Still ... The dealer issue seems to be getting better.
The Sprinter also seems to be built a little less sturdy than the Ford or Chevy. This may be a personal perception and I'm witholding judgement on this issue until time can confirm this. Anyway I'd take a long hard look at the Aerocel before I bought my next van.
As far as the hair loss issue goes, It's not caused by low ceilings but by brain activity. Those of us with active agile minds tend to loose our hair.

ronandpam

Seasoned Expediter
I've had a sprinter for 2 years. The engine does very well and the mileage. The biggest problem for me is that I must go to a dealer for almost everything. Do any other Sprinter owners out there have the same problem?? Ford and Chevy replacement parts, filters, fluid, tires etc. can be obtained practically anywhere, therefore getting things at a competitive price is easy. The Dodge dealers charge whatever they want!!
Fuel is about the only thing I see any savings on.
Once the Sprinters have been out long enough and parts etc are very widespread, cost of operation will plunge. Until then, I would NOT buy another one.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The availability of parts & service for Sprinters, or more accurately, lack of same, is what made up my mind to pass them up. That's an issue that will be resolved when there are more Sprinters on the road, but we can't exactly use a loaner while waiting, so I don't see it as a great choice just yet. And now, I like the Aerocell concept - space enough for cargo and comfort, without excessive weight - a great idea for a vehicle we live in!