What Truck To Buy??

dean07

Seasoned Expediter
Hi all, i am thinking of getting out of my sprinter and getting into a straight truck, i would like opions from all straight truck owners as to what to buy thats reliable, and fuel effcient and fixer friendly, i more then likely will be buying something about 2 to 3 years old max, all your input will be well apprciated and thanks in advance!!

gojack

Expert Expediter
The never-ending question...

What are you going to do with this truck?
Lease on OR On Your Own?
Local, Regional, Long Haul?
Heavy Haul?
Air frate?
Live-in-it?
Home every nite?

buckeyewildman

Seasoned Expediter
i would definitly reccommend you look into a Hino although some people don,t like them i think they are a very fuel efficient and reliable at least from my experience

Tuckster

Seasoned Expediter
Good thread. Seems most are leary of newer makes and understandably so. I know nothing about Hino. My Kenworth has a cummings 300 which I regard highly. I've heard many many drivers swear by DD. I'd like to hear more about the Mercedes and Hino so everybody please put your 2 cents in.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if you buy a used truck, if you can't have the maintance record's to look at don't buy that truck as you want to see what has been done to the unit, and like at it close to

rdtrpn

Seasoned Expediter
The Hino I drove had no power going up hill. I could be empty doing 55mph on, say a 1% grade and it wouldn't speed up more than a mile or two, EMPTY!! Although when loaded the performance is about the same. I think its just the way they're geared.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Never drove one myself. However, It might just be, the driving versus setting the taterslide, and aiming thing again.

garman351

Expert Expediter
Hi all, i am thinking of getting out of my sprinter and getting into a straight truck, i would like opions from all straight truck owners as to what to buy thats reliable, and fuel effcient and fixer friendly, i more then likely will be buying something about 2 to 3 years old max, all your input will be well apprciated and thanks in advance!!

Dean07:
I would look for the lowest interest rate that is available, = Hino at around 6% compared to Freightliner at around 12% calc that out at $95K big difference

Standard warranty: = Hino 3 year unlimited parts & labor and free towing, compared to Freightliner that you will spend around $4,000 for the same coverage as a Hino.

Fuel Mpg: Our Hino gets just a little over 10 Mph high, average around 9.5 Mpg. It's true they lack the big horse power to climb big hill's (SO-WHAT) to be the first to the top of the hill. But we make it ok and most of the time we carry around 5,000 pound loads so we enjoy the better Mpg than a bigger motor truck, and right now that is awsome for us.

We have 165K trouble free miles on our Hino, except the air conditioner pump just burned out? No big deal our dealer Interstate trucks out of Romulis, Mich. Makes it their priority to get us back on the road ASAP when ever we need anything from them. Dealer support is everything reguardless what you buy and from whom. That good deal don't mean nothing if you cannot get good service & support.

Keep in mind most Companys do not want trucks that are over five years old so be careful on how old a truck is you buy or the interest rate to purchase it and of course miles.

Hino's need a gear change before you buy one they come with a 4.10 gear we had ours changed to a 3.70 gear and buy good big truck seats, and we have been very happy and we will buy another Hino if we can last in this industry with-in the next couple of years.

Garman

garman351

Expert Expediter
$95K for a Hino? Seems like you could get a nicely equipped T370 for that kind of cash.

Last time I remember you purchase options like sleepers, generators and tool boxes etc. Besides the truck & box? You can spend $150K on a Hino if you want it equiped like a pent house suite. (Get-It) Or as low as around $75K it's all part of (WHAT) you want to finance One truck compared to another. My point was comparing interest rates from one truck company to another.

Garman

garman351

Expert Expediter
True.

You'll just spend another 95K keeping it operational. :eek:

Well that was an uneducated and bias answer to slam the Hino. We owned a 2000 Freightliner it was an awsome truck, the new ones are shoddy quality and lousy interest rates and expensive service contracts.

I'll stick with our American made Hino that has been a great vehicle going on two years now with no mechanical problems other than our air conditioner pump just burned-up? We called the dealership and when we stopped there we were out in three hours, and we received a loaner vehicle to go eat lunch and the dealership even paid for our lunch. Try that after fighting with your so-called dealership getting approval just to have the service authorized before they will even work on your truck.

Garman

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't suggest Hino to anyone other than a local o/o. That's one city truck that has a helluva time making it a country mile. My nephew drives one, and hates it! He also says Interstate is inept as far as fixing them, always blaming him doing something to cover up their screw-ups.

Better trucks are out there.

garman351

Expert Expediter
I wouldn't suggest Hino to anyone other than a local o/o. That's one city truck that has a helluva time making it a country mile. My nephew drives one, and hates it! He also says Interstate is inept as far as fixing them, always blaming him doing something to cover up their screw-ups.

Better trucks are out there.

Thats funny our Hino has made many trouble free country miles going on 170K I would question your Nephew's driving habits and if he is just a driver? because most drivers are
never happy with the equipment they drive or who they work for!

Interstate Trucks has treated my drivers and my Company like gold. Any time we need oil changes anything they make it a priority to get us out as quickly as possible. We were ripped off by another Hino dealer down south over a fuel filter problem we were charged for diagnosing the problem etc. And Interstate contacted the service manager and they looked into what happened and we were refunded close to $200 back thanks to Interstate actually carring about it's customers.

We like the better MPg we get with our five speed manual Hino with the 3.91 gear change before we bought our truck, and we had our seats changed to long haul seats. Like most new trucks you need to make a few changes to better suit your needs before you take it home.

Tenneseahawk you make bad claims about a truck you don't actually drive, my experienced team has no problems with the Hino at all other than more power would be nice, but they also like the good Mpg they are getting from 9.5 to just a little over 10 depending on conditions, and most of the time we haul around 5,000lbs so a bigger motor is not needed. You will beat us to the top of the hill (SO-WHAT) Our AMERICAN made Hino with it's three year free warranty and free towing and a interest rate of 6% is far better than anything I had seen for the money even to this date.

I like many other People who actually own them have no problem buying another one down the road.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
No, I don't drive them. But my nephew does, and I trust what he says.

I have no reason to doubt you're happy. But I'm guessing you're in the minority. If someone doubts me, look at the classifieds here and at truckpaper. There's a reason that a 2007 is selling at 65% of its original price after one year. Reminds me of the International 7500s that Alumibunk was trying to pass off as an expediter. Sorry... city truck is a city truck.

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
I own 2 03 freightliners Centuries with cummings 450ISX engines (old Interstate greenmachine tractors), 22 foot boxes. Both have been almost trouble free and they both get 10+ MPG. Your looking for a used truck, I strongly suggest you look at these workhorses.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
right now i would stay with the sprinter
reason the price of fuel
or drive for someone else and let them pay for the fuel

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
going up hill is not the ultimate test of a truck. i was in an 01 fl80 with a 300hp 3126 and a 6 speed. going to albuquerque ALL of the t/t were leaving me behind except for the volvo on the side of the road with a problem at 2am. i also drove a 210hp fl70 that was fine in the flats and again was passed in the pa hills. it is all in what you feel comfortable with. i should also say that both cat engines were rebuilds and the last one was blowing white smoke when i parked it on the shoulder and called a tow truck. three breakdowns in 10 weeks. buy new.