What kind of generator do I need to run a 13000 btu air conditioner?

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
The only problem I see with the rear door thing is the hinges may wear out. Grease them a lot.

I thought about mounting a caster or two on the box that would ride upon the bumper when the door was closed, thereby transferring some or all the weight and vibration from the door to the bumper.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
A lot of the issues come from when the door opens.

I saw one that the owner had four plates made out of aluminum shaped to the contour of the body, mounted the plate both on the inside and outside of the body just beyond the door. He used large steel hinges welded plate and to the frame that the generator and fuel tank mounted to. The hinges could be removed with a 1/2 wrench. When the door was shut, the frame was secured to the receiver without putting any weight on the door. The unit swung out to almost the side of the van and out of the way of any forklift.

guido4475

Not a Member
The couple I met here in Tulsa has a new Sprinter, he built the sleeper himself, bulkhead, 5,000 btu window a/c unit, espar heater.He is using a husky brand 1,850 watt generator to power it.Loud, but it works.The a/c unit is mounted through the bulkhead,with a bucket hanging below it to catch the water runoff.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I saw that before, but there wasn't enough cooling for the condenser and the owner burned up two A/C units before he put it outside. So I wonder if being in heat like I'm in today (100 degrees with high humidity) how long that would last in a closed space of say 400 cu/ft?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've got it down to 7 minutes..to put window AC in...that includes the gen tossed out and locked down and climbing back in and hitting the start button....not too shabby...

tbcabs

Seasoned Expediter
I have a 13000 btu a/c and I use a 3500 watt generator. It allows me to run other things besides the a/c.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I found out today that while my 12,000 btu ac unit only has a 9 amp draw while running, it ha a 16.7 amp draw compresssor draw.....the NEW honda 2000i would not handle it.....and i was ready to buy a new one....

guido4475

Not a Member
I really want to get a Honda EU3000.My freind has one, who is parked nesxt to me, and it is so nice and quiet.I think they are around 1,900.00 But I have run a Wen Power 3,500 watt from PepBoys auto parts stores, and it has surprised me to no end.I still have it, with 14,000 hours on it, and it still runs.It has a Honda clone engine on it.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Guido, make sure you look close, there are also 2 different honda 3000 portable gen / inverters.....the one i seen today wass $2900...it had all the bells and whisles including a remote electic start....more then i need and more then i care to spend, but it would power everything in the van while sitting and not use the house bank of batteries....

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I have the honda 2000i running a 5000 btu window shacker built into the side door....the generator is in a metal box that I welded up it is attached to the rear door .I have the external tank on top feedin the gen. It is all 100% self contained all I do is open the door and pull the cord and I'm done.... w/ the external tan k I can run 35-40 hrs between fill ups .it cools my van just nicely...approx. $1350 into the whole thing...

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Yah chef that's why I built mine...cost me about $ 50 to build and a day or so to fab er up....I have the gen it locked up inside w/ a cable and the box locks on the outside w/ a padlock..why do u have such a big a/c for ur van?? I use a 5000 does just fine cooling it and the gen idles as it runs it...those hondas are the way to go

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
My AC unit is a stand up and it sits on the floor, the price wa right and i really didn't want to cut a hole in the van or put it in the back door glass opening...so i bought this on a recommendation from Steady Eddie..it works ike a champ...when the generator is working.....:rolleyes:

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
the 2000I powers the a/c just fine @ an idle....i have the 12volt wired and switched into my external batterys also ..so while im parked and running the gen its charging my batterys .....