What kind of generator do I need to run a 13000 btu air conditioner?

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I am thinking about buying an edgestar 13000 BTU stand alonr air conditioner; kind of like the one that Chef has in his van. Do any of you guys know if a 2000 watt generator will power such a unit? Do any of you guys have a 2000 watt generator that you are currently using to power your A/C units? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
2000 watts may be pushing it.

According to my records the last A/C unit I had, it took a 3000 generator to keep it going. The start up current was the problem, it was an older model and used 3200 watts on start up.

13,000 btus is a lot, I have a 5500 in the truck ready to install. I tested it a week ago just for the heck of it hanging it out the window and using idle aire's power and it kept the sleeper very cold.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
That's not what a 13,000 unit draws, they draw at least 12 amps, or at 115 vac - 1350 watts.

My 5500 BTU unit draws 8.3 amps.

3000 watt generator produces 26 amps.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I power my 12,000 BTU edgestar witha 2000 watt Honeywell gen. It is 2000 watts constant run, 2200 watt surge. This gen handles it just fine. I think Steady Eddie is using a 2000 watt Honda

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know Chef, for some reason the inverter generators seem to handle it a lot better than the normal old style generator.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
That's not what a 13,000 unit draws, they draw at least 12 amps, or at 115 vac - 1350 watts.

My 5500 BTU unit draws 8.3 amps.

3000 watt generator produces 26 amps.
Is 5500 BTU enough? I would think that wouldn't be sufficient.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't see why not. I have 258 cu/ft in the sleeper and about 115 in the cab.

With the insulation in the sleeper, and the 'curtains' shut, it stays cool for a while in 100 degree temps. The sun is the real issue, I have to add the last layer of heat barrier stuff and moisture barrier and then it should be fine.

The cab on the other hand suffers from heat soak, which means after driving a while, the heat comes from the dash and floor. This is where the problem is with a small unit and sitting up in the front won't be an option if you want to stay cool.

The other thing that comes to mind is humidity, with the 5500 btu unit, it doesn't pull as much water out as the larger one but again, the evaporator is small (80 sq/in) so changing the evaporator around to have more surface area may help that.

skip432

Seasoned Expediter
Increasing the size of the evaporator will increase your suction pressure and in turn raise your saturated refrigerant temperature. This will decrease the amount of moisture removed. The smaller unit like you have will do more for dehumidification than a larger unit as the evaporator coil will stay cold thus removing moisture. (It will not cycle as often)

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
I power my 12,000 BTU edgestar witha 2000 watt Honeywell gen. It is 2000 watts constant run, 2200 watt surge. This gen handles it just fine. I think Steady Eddie is using a 2000 watt Honda

spec sheet says 1.5 gal tank runs for 5 hr at 50% load.

do you have a larger tank?
how long did the unit run on the std tank?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Jack wrote:

spec sheet says 1.5 gal tank runs for 5 hr at 50% load.

do you have a larger tank?
how long did the unit run on the std tank?

6 gallon external tank, total of 7.5 gallons, it has run up to 10 hours and still had gas in the external tank when i shut it off...I never run it without the external tank connected so i can't say how long it will run without it.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
13000btu seems like too much, 5500btu seems like to little, why not get a 8000btu portable?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Increasing the size of the evaporator will increase your suction pressure and in turn raise your saturated refrigerant temperature. This will decrease the amount of moisture removed. The smaller unit like you have will do more for dehumidification than a larger unit as the evaporator coil will stay cold thus removing moisture. (It will not cycle as often)

That's true, I didn't explain it well enough. The surface area is 80 sq/in, my thinking is to increase the surface area, not the volume of the evaporator by using a mount that will also act as a heat sink of sorts. Maybe this will also effect it, what do you think?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I have to figure that one of thosse units cost over 2 grand if not more, considering that if you are a canadian, the Canadian Gov will give you a $1000 rebate...i have less then $1000 in both my Ac unit and Generator/inverter.....and the extended run gas tank....BUT...Thanks for the link to the site Dan, I seen alot of other stuff that can be of use when i set up a new "house bank"....I use Trojan Golf Cart batteries now, but the one the have seems to be a nice and maybe better battery...Again thanks Dan..

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
Previously posted:
Just a potentially helpful fyi on a/c. I bought a new rooftop r/v style a/c, with heat pump, from these guys in Mo. for $525. Weight is 108 lbs.

COLAW RV PARTS & SALVAGE | WE HAVE YOUR PART!

Colaw RV Parts & Salvage
I-44 Exit 22
10389 Cimmaron Rd.
Carthage, MO 64836
Phone: (417) 548-2125
Fax: (417) 548-7219
Toll Free: (877) 548-2125

It runs OK off a 2000 watt 30 amp generator. Weight is 49 lbs.

I am trying to noodle out an acceptable method to mount the gen. on the rear driver's door that is decent looking and secure. Some kind of locking box I think.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The only problem I see with the rear door thing is the hinges may wear out. Grease them a lot.