What is the strangest load that you did as an expediter?

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
Half time stage for espn ,from cn to superdome in New Orleans, for first game held there after Katrina.Seems someone forgot it when they loaded the rest of the equipment?

BEARTRUCKER

Seasoned Expediter
Several things.
5,000# frozen cookie dough for a school fundraiser - shoulda seen those office ladies faces when they found out that it was "no touch", they called in the troops to unload it. Principal was NOT happy with the shipper "I PAID FOR INSIDE DELIVERY!". Was cool to us as we where caught in the middle.
Also hauled 4 barrels of liquid yeast to St. Louis - thought it was to micor brewery (samples!) - nope to a pharmacololgy place next to the breweries.
And the winner is - 2,500# frozen lamb spleens from CO to WI. Never did find out what they used them for...

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
A small explosive with the impact of half the power of an M-80...from lockhead atlanta to california ..it weighed 25 lbs most being the container it was in. had to run all explosive routs through california.. yee haa .. and a box of rivetts 2lbs .Was suppose 2 get 2 boxs but they wern't ready ..rode on the dash. Gosh darn those were the good ole days

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
Oh ...my favorite ..2 pallets 1800lbs of 07 calenders to be delivered to the offices Lear Jet offices in down town Arlington across the potomic river .The plus ..I could see the capitol and Washintom monument from their 15 th floor offices..down side it was no touch delivery on a loading dock with a misplaced skid plate ..sat for 2 hrs negotiating price for in store deliv .. waiting for dock forman to locate plate and hauling 2 pallets through service elevator ..into tight haul ways and had carring all boxes from hall to inside offices ... ..cost for for all said above 375.00 additional ....the look on my face when office manager said they were shippd 5 months 2 soon .......priceless Golly gee where have all the good times gone

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Radioactive powdered cheese. It may not have been radioactive but it glowed a bright orange. I have hauled that stuff on two different occasions.

The powder sifted through the pallets and into the E-track on the floor. My van still stinks after 3 years. I can smell it every time I take my shoes off and get ready for bed.

I also hauled a small box about the size a coffee mug would come in. The box contained a baggy with 50 little rubber O-rings for a CN diesel locomotive. St. Paul to Winnipeg.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Hey Doggie Daddy, welcome to the world of aviation! We to had the pleasure of hauling smaller jet engines in our DR-unit when we were leased on with FECC. These typically were engines for Learjets. Without knowing the engine size and model you had onboard, its hard to say which amount that you were told was correct. Do you remember what engine it was?

I can tell you that depending on the type, size, and number of jet engines we have had on the deck during a run we have had no less than 5.5 million onboard. The smaller engines for commuter jets can run between three and six million. A brand new JT-9 jet engine runs about twenty million depending on what it has on it. Pratt Whitney Turbo-prop engines range between 1.5- 2 million. This information is availible online for anyone to view.

My wife's brother is a pilot for a large development firm in Indiana. The corporate Gulfstream G-5 jet he pilots for them cost 100 million. The firm owns three.

I about fell out when I started learning the cost of different aircraft and their components.

Last edited:

sevenerb

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I delivered several small jet engines in my cv. they originated from Phoenix, Little Rock, and the Grand Canyon.

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
Radioactive powdered cheese. It may not have been radioactive but it glowed a bright orange. I have hauled that stuff on two different occasions.

The powder sifted through the pallets and into the E-track on the floor. My van still stinks after 3 years. I can smell it every time I take my shoes off and get ready for bed.

Too darn funny...

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
300# of chicken eggs, fertilized and incubated to 12 days, from Amish country PA to an industrial plant in Ontario. Turned out they make machines for processing medical products which are cultivated in eggs, and they need them to calibrate the machines and make sure they are properly adjusted before being delivered. I thought they were having an omelet party or something.

9000# frozen cookie dough for a school fund raiser. Non-adjacent delivery lift gate load, with a slight hill upgrade in the sidewalk from the parking lot where we had to deliver.

1 computer PC unit (no monitor, keyboard or any other attachments, just the PC itself) for a distance of 2 blocks. When I closed the door on the truck I could turn around and see the place I was delivering. Got paid $700 for that, which covered what would have been a deadhead out of Miami and turned it into a paid trip out.

A robotic arm and related parts for either the Space Shuttle or (I think) the Space Station. Couldn't describe the job without the use of the word "cluster," but that's a different story.

High School yearbooks (replacement order). The original batch had been in a delivery truck which crashed into a canal, and the company had to reprint the whole order and rush it before the last day of school.

1 CD-Rom disk, dual driver protected, from Indianapolis to Pittsburgh. Had to be secured in the back for insurance and temp control reasons.

Still waiting for one of those "drive into the desert, meet and follow the jeep into the side of the mountain..." type of loads, though.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
We just hauled 4 pallets of foam, color nude, that is used in making bras. The inspector at the border of FL gave me such a confused look when he asked me what was in my box and I told him foam. lol After looking at my BOL he kind of chuckled and wished me a good night. :D

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This morning I delivered a pallet with 6 sheets of 5/8" plywood, 2 boxes and a cardboard tube. The consignee was a power plant in Hastings, NE. It took 2 hours to figure out who it was going to. A power plant employee opened the boxes looking for a clue as to who the recipient was.

The large box contained rags. Not shop rags, just various pieces of different type and colored cloth. The small box contained two rolls of duct tape, two 6 inch adjustable wrenches, a miniature paint roller and paint tray. All items were new and still in the original packaging. The tube contained a roll of stiff brown paper.

The freight eventually got delivered to a construction company building an addition to the power plant.

On the way through town I passed a new Menards store, a WalMart and a Tractor supply. Why shop when you can expedite!

Attachments

• freight 003.jpg
    freight 003.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 25

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
And I stand corrected. Personally, I had never heard of them. But they were "The Who". And I guess they still are?

Who?

Why, "The Who".

Time for another Mountain Dew!

Reckon "The Who, do the Dew?

Alright, I'm going to bed.

As in Burton Cummings?

marty6731

Expert Expediter
Well this is an easy one for me. I had to p/u at a hospital in youngstown, ohio and just bring back to the cleveland ohio airport. I got to the shipping clerk and he and I went to the lab for the p/u. When we got to the lab the shipping clerk said to the lab tech, " HEY THE GUY IS HERE TO P/U THE HEADS " yep human heads. YIKESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The large box contains rags. The small box contains two rolls of duct tape, two 6 inch adjustable wrenches, a miniature paint roller and paint tray. All items are new and still in the original packaging. The tube contains a roll of stiff brown paper.

> TAKE ALL BUT RAGS

Taken.

> GO NORTH

You are standing in front of a door.

> OPEN

Open what?

> OPEN DOOR

The door reluctantly opens to reveal a rickety staircase descending into darkness.

> GO DOWN

You descend down the staircase. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Your sword is glowing with a faint blue glow.

> WHAT'S A GRUE?

The grue is a sinister, lurking presence in the dark places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Your sword is glowing with a faint blue glow.

> TURN ON LAMP

You don't have a lamp.

> INVENTORY

You are carrying:
A pair of candles
A matchbook
A torch
A painting
Two rolls of duct tape
Two 6 inch adjustable wrenches
A miniature paint roller and paint tray.

A tube of stiff brown paper.

> LIGHT CANDLES WITH TORCH

The heat from the torch is so intense that the candles are vaporized.

> LIGHT MATCH

One of the matches starts to burn.

> BURN PAPER WITH MATCH

Can't burn paper in the tube.

> REMOVE PAPER

Paper removed.

>
BURN PAPER WITH MATCH

The paper catches fire. Unfortunately, you were holding it at the time. You have dropped your sword.
It is pitch black. You have been eaten by a grue.

flattop40

Expert Expediter
Just watched a Panther straight truck unload an expiditer van onto the bed of a flat bed wrecker. Don't know who the van leased too but I am sure they did expiditing because of the reflectex on the windows.

Chalk one up for ban the van.

But wait.... in a round about way we are creating loads for the straights lmao