What is a TSA certified driver?

transporter

Expert Expediter
tsa is qualification for delivering freight to airports. it would alow you to drive up to a passenger/cargo plane and your freight loaded on plane.

Reactions: 96to22

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
the company you would for request a background check you fill out a form and than they give it to tsa
and they check you out , if everything is ok they give you a letter saying your alright and you carry the letter in your note book with all your forms that you carry to do your job with

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Ummmm... OK ... what's the big whoop.

The TSA certification has to do with the chain of custody of freight that goes on a plane. It makes sure that you understand what to look for, what paper work is needed to be filled out and what you as a driver/holder of the freight needs to do to ensure the safety of the general public and to maintain the integrity of the chain of custody.

I take the online class, I take a test, and I am qualified.

I have to do this every year, it is not a TWIC card, it is not a FAST card and there is no background checks.

No forms, nothing. The carrier is responsible to hold the records that I am qualified.

The REALLY sad thing is our great and BIG government has several layers of security which I was under the impression was going to be one or two, not eleven.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
It's free. The company should offer it for free because it is something they are dealing with to remain qualified to haul that freight.

If you ever dropped off at any place like Delta Freight, you will understand what it is all about.

breeze

Seasoned Expediter
Is this tsa something new .IVE picked up all over at Ohare and JFK AND never new nuttin about tsa.

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
The answer is - There is no such classification as “Certified TSA driver” Any driver delivering to airports with cargo that maybe tendered to a passenger aircraft is required to have passed an STA and have had proper training by their IAC. Every driver that has one or more of the following, CDL Hazmat endorsement, TWIC or FAST has had an STA done, but is not IAC trained. Only an IACSC can issue your training certification. So, if you hear “Certified TSA driver” you need to have a STA done and IAC Training.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That was maybe the most acronymynous post ever written, Lugnut. I'm confused about STA & IAC - unscramble, please.:eek:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
unscramble, please.:eek:

TSA: Terrorizing Stupid Americans.

FAST: Fleece All Straight Trucks.

TWIC: Terrorists Working In Cognito.

BTV: Ban The Van.

CDRP: Charge Drivers Ridiculous Prices.

EORB: Either O R Because.

TWIX: A chocolate bar made by Mars, Inc., consisting of a biscuit finger, topped with caramel and coated in milk chocolate.

WOFC: Way Outa F'ing Control.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Greg is right i did mine online as well only i asked for the certificate to carry with me but in fact the carrier is responsible to hold the records at their office to ensure that they can present your records to whom ever mat need to see them. The driver doesn't need to carry the records period.

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
Greg is right i did mine online as well only i asked for the certificate to carry with me but in fact the carrier is responsible to hold the records at their office to ensure that they can present your records to whom ever mat need to see them. The driver doesn't need to carry the records period.

Greg is right? You could not have taken your online testing if your company was NOT an approved IAC. Your Security Coordinator would approve you for testing only after your satisfactory STA or its acceptable equivalent. All IAC’s may choose the method of testing in which they are required to have you complete as a direct employee. Some IAC’s choose to outsource the testing as your company did, others choose in house testing. You, as a direct employee carry no TSA certifying documents since as I said before, there is no such classification as “Certified TSA driver”….Period

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Lugnut,
Thanks for the accurate and corrected info, I simplified it and ran through it fast messing it up.

It shouldn't be an issue but I guess it is.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
greg is right? You could not have taken your online testing if your company was not an approved iac. Your security coordinator would approve you for testing only after your satisfactory sta or its acceptable equivalent. All iac’s may choose the method of testing in which they are required to have you complete as a direct employee. Some iac’s choose to outsource the testing as your company did, others choose in house testing. You, as a direct employee carry no tsa certifying documents since as i said before, there is no such classification as “certified tsa driver”….period

wrong i have such a paper period

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
wrong i have such a paper period

There is no such classification as “Certified TSA driver”….Period. TSA does not certify drivers Scuba Doo. Any paper you have calling you a “Certified TSA driver” did not come from the TSA and you should be careful not to state otherwise.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
It is called a Security Threat Assessment.

TSA will not deal with a motor carrier, per se. This is about Indirect Air Carriers. The carrier or driver is listed as an agent of said IAC, therefore, the TSA wants to know about you. It may have changed slightly in the last year or so. When it started, you needed to have it in order to drop at PASSENGER airlines only. It was not needed for cargo only. That may have changed. If you are a small carrier and want to get TSA certified, contact a customer that books air shipments, such as a freight forwarder. It costs about $30 per driver. Some will pay it for you, because you are representing them. But it is now an annual thing to keep up.

You take a 10 question test that you understand stuff such as the term "IED", and certain kids of activity to be suspicious of.