What do you for personal safety?

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
I received this in an email and thought it a good suggestion for protection. You couldn't carry it with you while walking through truckstop parking lots, but we all avoid walking between trucks anyway, don't we?

Wasp Spray

I have a friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area
who was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob
them when they were counting the collection. She asked the local police
department about using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she
get a can of wasp spray instead. The wasp spray, they told her, can
shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the
pepper spray they have to get too close to you and could overpower you.
The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the
hospital for an antidote. She keeps a can on her desk in the office and
it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray
would. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection. You could
also keep it in your car and it would not be illegal. Thought this was
interesting and might be of use...

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I received this in an email and thought it a good suggestion for protection. You couldn't carry it with you while walking through truckstop parking lots, but we all avoid walking between trucks anyway, don't we?

Wasp Spray

I have a friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area
who was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob
them when they were counting the collection. She asked the local police
department about using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she
get a can of wasp spray instead. The wasp spray, they told her, can
shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the
pepper spray they have to get too close to you and could overpower you.
The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the
hospital for an antidote. She keeps a can on her desk in the office and
it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray
would. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection. You could
also keep it in your car and it would not be illegal. Thought this was
interesting and might be of use...

thanx for the idea...... .. good post

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Actually it is a great idea! Gonna add it to my Walmart list. Coursin no one has ever bothered me in a truck stop yet but ya never know! Might happen and I'll 'WASP'EM' good! :D

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The biggest advantage to wasp spray is that no LEO can say it's actually a weapon, rather than what it is - there's a legitimate need for it.
Also, most cans have a trumpet in front of the nozzle, which reassures me that if I ever need to spray it at an attacker, I won't point it at myself in my panic. :eek:

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
If someone other than a White Anglo-Saxon Protestant tries to attack you, will it still work? How about a Mexican Catholic, or a Black Baptist?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I personally have not had any trouble in a truck stop or a rest area. We usually park near the back or near grass for Molly so often it is a hike to find the building. This sometimes requires searching on my part as I am often asleep when we park. I walk away from the front of the trucks and stay in the main road way. I also carry my keys in a manner that can be used for self defense. If we park in an area that looks a little shady to me I do not leave the truck till daylight.

The Wasp spray is a great idea and I think even in a panic you would have a hard time using it on yourself. I think I will just stick with my keys and stay in a lighted area or walk away from the trucks in the road way up to the building.

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
Since there are no high risk areas in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and I found my pepper spray going to waste, I called the local police department asking how I should properly dispose of the spray canisters.

Much to my relief the Desk Sergeant was an expert on pepper spray having spent many years with the Detroit police department and happened to mention it was effective as protection from wasps.

Sure enough...it worked great...no more wasps in Garden, MI!!

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Obviously, you've never been in Engadine when the Crips and the Bloods are fighting over turf.

wellarmed

Not a Member
I was looking forward to meeting yesteryear someday,now I guess I had better be wearing safety goggles in case I startle her. :D

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The thoughts of getting Bob up as early as I like to get up scares me more then walking in the truck stop! He is not a morning person at all.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
I picked up a can of wasp spray at WalMart yesterday. Thanks so much for this tip. Although I have had security personnel ask if we have lighters, guns, cell phones, pets, I have never, ever had one ask if we have wasp spray!! Ha!

Angil82

Seasoned Expediter
I have never thought about it. I usually park near lighs, and grass I carry a 65 pound pit bull with me wherever I go. He is the biggest baby in the world, but no one else needs to know that.

Obviously, I can't bring him inside with me. So usually, I go in during daylight, and once it gets dark, my bladder is forced to go to bed. No questions asked. lol.

cruzer

Not a Member
I don't know how many people might be familiar with marine supply but you can get a disposable air horn at a marine supply store or WalMart that is very loud and the canister is only about 4 inch long and a little smaller than a broom handle and believe me it will atracked attention,its actually louder than a truck horn. I'm like poorboy and Wellarmed, the wife and I travel with SIG SAUER.:)

JBCarroll

Seasoned Expediter
I carry a 21 inch long breaker bar used for breakin lugnuts loose of course. I have my leatherman tool which in most cases isnt considered a weapon. Sometimes I need a cane so.... And then theres the wasp spray. Lets not forget the pry bar needed incase theres nails stickin in floor from pallets. I know fedex requires a hammer and nails. leather gloves and a roll of quarters needed for laundry.
I've yet to have any problems at truck stops or rest areas. And have often slept with side door slid slightly open.
Everything I've listed is legal, and as you see very usefull.