What do you eat if you need to drive all night?

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Sunflower seeds, in the shell. Salted. Get a cheek full and work on opening them one-by-one in your mouth as you drive. Never found anything more effective.
I'm a little puzzled with the peanuts in the coke bottle. You soak the peanuts in coke and eat them and drink the coke at the same time.

usaf6186

Veteran Expediter
I'm a little puzzled with the peanuts in the coke bottle. You soak the peanuts in coke and eat them and drink the coke at the same time.

Yes It's a southern thing. Most don't understand. Jerry Lee

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager

Yes It's a southern thing. Most don't understand. Jerry Lee

We did that in SD growing up..man that sounds good!:)

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
I found a box of cheezits fits nicely upon the steering column, no more dropping them from reaching allllll the way over off the seat! Good crunch.
I also stay away from caffiene 99% of the time, getting coffee or 5hour energy only when I really need it. Hubby and I like to switch around midnight, take an hour to eat and talk .

denny2010

Expert Expediter
if i get tired , i stop walk around truck a bit, stretch out and open a bag of pistachio's.....works for me......hope you find something..

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Purgoose: do you drink the Coke first, or drop them in?
I like popcorn or chips. Especially Sun Chips - the package is incredibly loud, lol, and the chips are pretty good, too.

Well when I do it I drop the salted peanuts into the bottle of coke and eat them one at a time along with the drink. I try not to do it anymore with the soda thing and all but it did work. Don't know if it was something to keep me occupied or maybe it was a stimulant. ????:cool:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Getting out and walking will help to clear your head.

Losing weight will help with energy

I like pumpkin seeds in the shell when I am driving.

jansiemoo CHEETZITS??? You crack me up with your ingenuity. Looking forward to seeing you at MATS!

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
I also get out and walk, even do stretches on the steps of the truck- but only at rest areas- no one sees!
Alas, eating a whole box of cheezits because cruching is the thing keeping you awake is not helping the weight loss...

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
=)) thanks, glad to be back!
After a few months, I just figured out this week that I can post using the iPhone app. I've been lurking for a while, I just hate getting the computer out!

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Willy Wonka Runts....every ten miles I pop a couple if theyre on hand. Not very healthy tho....Dunkin Donuts coffee also helps if u find a store.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

RoadDawgg

Expert Expediter
Hard candies. Not for the sugar, but it's like having a cigar, for whatever reason it keeps my brain awake.

I like to eat something with a lot of protein and carbs. But the carbs need to be had a couple three hours before you need them. They make you sleepy up front, but drive the boilers later on.

Of course the past 3 days I've been living on about 1000 calories a day. I needs more food or my body gonna go into starvation mode.

We are famished, Precious, famished we are!

Thanks!
Christopher

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
If you see a guy jump out of a Ford van and start riding a skateboard around the rest area that looks too old to be riding a skateboard...

It's probably me. In boots, shorts, and a bucket hat... gets the blood flowing. :cool:

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
I havent found much of anything to keep me awake. I tried energy drinks worked for a little bit but slowly it quit being so effective. I drink coffee but can only handle maybe a cup. Just not a fan of it. I havent tried 5 hr energy yet

But I bet getting naked and jumping into a snow pile will wake ya up.

guido4475

Not a Member
I once fell asleep with a mouth full of coffee. Of course that is not as bad as a co-pilot I had who fell asleep pouring coffee from his thermos to his cup. Something about pouring hot coffee unto your crotch seem to wake one up!

And I thought ice cubes worked real good!

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Maybe there should be a topic for healthy ways to stay up all night. I've dropped about 15 pounds since I've been off the road and that's mostly due to not eating and drinking what I used to to keep me up all night.

Another reason I had to quit driving was because once I got a decent number of drivers I couldn't be left alone long enough during the day to get enough rest before or after an all nighter. It was getting too dangerous. Adequate rest is really the best thing.

guido4475

Not a Member
In other words, there is no good substitute for sleep.Sleep is the best thing.Even a 15 minute nap will do wonders.

TheRebel

Seasoned Expediter
OVM had one thread on what not to eat if you have to drive all night. If you do have to drive all night, what do you eat? I've got an all nighter tonight. I've got granola bars, carrots, and apples. I like the crunch. I also have sandwich makings. What do you carry to eat on the all nighters?

I "eat" coffee, lots of coffee... preferable Starbucks - it really keeps me awake. Oh, and smokes...