What do you eat if you need to drive all night?

Freightdawg

Expert Expediter
OVM had one thread on what not to eat if you have to drive all night. If you do have to drive all night, what do you eat? I've got an all nighter tonight. I've got granola bars, carrots, and apples. I like the crunch. I also have sandwich makings. What do you carry to eat on the all nighters?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
OVM had one thread on what not to eat if you have to drive all night. If you do have to drive all night, what do you eat? I've got an all nighter tonight. I've got granola bars, carrots, and apples. I like the crunch. I also have sandwich makings. What do you carry to eat on the all nighters?

Well I drive almost every night. Besides 5 hr energy if I get really tired I will take a pack of salty peanuts and drop them in a coke bottle and eat them right out of the bottle. Helps to stimulate. Old truckers used to do it. A 20 minute power nap also helps.:D

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Purgoose: do you drink the Coke first, or drop them in?
I like popcorn or chips. Especially Sun Chips - the package is incredibly loud, lol, and the chips are pretty good, too.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
5 hr energy and a red bull, coffee and a heath bar, if I have ti eat food while driving, it junk food..but I at times do the coke and salty peanuts, but not as much as i might...

Freightdawg

Expert Expediter
Coffee and peanut butter crackers, and more coffee.;)

I once fell asleep with a mouth full of coffee. Of course that is not as bad as a co-pilot I had who fell asleep pouring coffee from his thermos to his cup. Something about pouring hot coffee unto your crotch seem to wake one up!

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
I once fell asleep with a mouth full of coffee. Of course that is not as bad as a co-pilot I had who fell asleep pouring coffee from his thermos to his cup. Something about pouring hot coffee unto your crotch seem to wake one up!

:eek:Wake one up, say many foul words, almost wreck truck:eek:

MR.SNAPPY

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pilot Extreme caffeine coffee will get the job done for me..try to limit myself to 2 cups a day..

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
You need the perfect way to keep awake.
Take a bag of potato chips,crumble them up into a powder,then put them in your shorts.Guranteed to keep you awake

bcordell70

Expert Expediter
I drive most nights and I drink a few mountain dews, and maybe a cappuccino, usually the wife and I will have dinner when we stop to switch, so I just do snack stuff through the night like chips and stuff.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
Roasted, unsalted peanuts. One at a time... chew slowly. Diet mountain dew. Diet coke.

Vitamin b complex and thermogenic capsules. Eyes glued wide open. Drive 1000 miles. Sleep 4 hours. Repeat.

fired at you from my Droideka

Desperado

Seasoned Expediter
2 coffee 1 apple fritter but if tired 1 hour nap trued them 15 min things once to bout the time my eyes close time to go lol

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
Trail mix & fruit, green tea.Sleeping 4-6 hours before my shift really helps.We try to split the run so one of us drives till 1-2 am then we switch. Splitting the night shift works great for us. If time allows,we will stop the truck from 1-3am.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
One cup of coffee, cold with a shot of espresso and some snacks.

Outside of that, proper sleep and a good meal before without a lot of carbs but with some fat in it.

I have found that this is really good and takes time to eat Edamame.

You mean soybeans?

You can get them in toasted form with all kinds of stuff on them, from Frank's RedHot Sauce to that funny green horseradish stuff (which isn't the real stuff so I say green stuff instead but good enough) to a sweet BBQ flavor - recommend anything hot. AND I saw them in chip form before, ground up like a potato and then put into a chip.