What companies are hiring company drivers right now?

jot1959

Rookie Expediter
Driver
What companies are hiring company drivers right now in West Michigan? I am in the Grand Rapids area and want to drive like yesterday. I use to have a CDL A a long time ago and not interested in going back to that again, I want to expedite. I need to know what companies are hiring right now, here or near here and will let me take my dog with me. Thanks and happy driving.

Reactions: vandriver2

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Welcome, Jot.
If you want to expedite, the first thing you need to do is learn what it is, because it isn't like OTR trucking. Carriers don't hire drivers, for starters, they contract with independent owner/operators, who are self employed. Some O/O may 'hire' drivers, though said drivers are also independent contractors, and also self employed. Some will allow pets, some don't. You can check the classified ads here for Drivers Wanted, and contact any that might be what you're looking for to ask what they require.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just had a look at the OP's posts in the "Status" section. Steep learning curve here, just so's you know.
First-- we're NOT employees. Not at least in the usual sense of the word anyway. Call it either "Independent Contractor" or "1099 Contractor" (the 1099 form takes the place of the W-2).
Second--- the idea of having non-stop work is just a dream. You may work a lot--- but you'll also have a certain amount of fallow time waiting for the next call. The big straights and TTs have less standing time than we in the vans do, but everybody gets to sit in a truck stop waiting for the next job. It goes with the territory.
Expedited is a whole different life than driving OTR for Schneider, as a fer-instance--- it takes a different way of thinking and a realization that you really ARE your own boss to a large degree.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The single most difficult adjustment in expediting that people coming from general trucking is the sitting. Frankly, most cannot make the adjustment and end up going back to general trucking. Part of it is the inability to get out of the employee mindset, part of it is the inability to fill down time, some of which can be for a day or three, with something other than stirring there and wondering why you aren't in a load. The nature of expediting is being in the right place at the right time in order to be there for emergency freight.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I just had a look at the OP's posts in the "Status" section. Steep learning curve here, just so's you know.
First-- we're NOT employees. Not at least in the usual sense of the word anyway. Call it either "Independent Contractor" or "1099 Contractor" (the 1099 form takes the place of the W-2).
Second--- the idea of having non-stop work is just a dream. You may work a lot--- but you'll also have a certain amount of fallow time waiting for the next call. The big straights and TTs have less standing time than we in the vans do, but everybody gets to sit in a truck stop waiting for the next job. It goes with the territory.
Expedited is a whole different life than driving OTR for Schneider, as a fer-instance--- it takes a different way of thinking and a realization that you really ARE your own boss to a large degree.

Lovely reply, Mj, except for the part about "everybody gets to sit in a truckstop", because we can definitely find better 'hoods to hang out in, lol. ;)
I did neglect to mention the 'layover' time, and coming from OTR in an 18 wheeler, I should know better: it's a huge adjustment. It really helps if you have [or find] ways to keep yourself occupied [if not entertained] during those days.

jot1959

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Well I am just what my little emoticon is, confused. I use to drive 18 wheelers way back but, now just am interested in doing expediting. I took cheri1122 advice and looked up drivers wanted but not so sure where to look. I will need to drive someone else's vehicle until I am able to purchase my own. I need more info on how to do this and where to find contractors who need a driver. If any more help could come my way, I would appreciate it. I am doing research and actually calling some companies to see if they know of anyone needing contract drivers to drive for them. No luck so far only finding anything. I see so many jobs listed but apparently may not be looking in the right direction. Thanks ahead of time for anymore help. I do know what expediting is, I have things to do in down time, so not worried about that. Just want a job on the road.

Reactions: vandriver2

jot1959

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Thanks for all the help. After spending all day yesterday figuring out how to navigate this website, I finally was able to get on the classified ads area and OMG, the vast array of jobs are amazing. Thanks to all who helped me get there. It was worth figuring it out.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have my first interview tomorrow. Yay! I am so excited. Please keep fingers crossed for me. Will post the outcome when interview over. So excited! Yes!
Be sure to get everything in writing if it seem like it's something you would like to do.

Reactions: Lawrence

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have my first interview tomorrow. Yay! I am so excited. Please keep fingers crossed for me. Will post the outcome when interview over. So excited! Yes!
as has been said get everything in writing and to ur liking don't want to see a newbie get screwed [it happens ]
and good luck.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How did the interview go?

Inquiring minds want to know.
9248_10152068546833777_1300702167_n.jpg

torohla

Rookie Expediter
Well I am just what my little emoticon is, confused. I use to drive 18 wheelers way back but, now just am interested in doing expediting. I took cheri1122 advice and looked up drivers wanted but not so sure where to look. I will need to drive someone else's vehicle until I am able to purchase my own. I need more info on how to do this and where to find contractors who need a driver. If any more help could come my way, I would appreciate it. I am doing research and actually calling some companies to see if they know of anyone needing contract drivers to drive for them. No luck so far only finding anything. I see so many jobs listed but apparently may not be looking in the right direction. Thanks ahead of time for anymore help. I do know what expediting is, I have things to do in down time, so not worried about that. Just want a job on the road.
Look up Try Hours...they run a somewhat dedicated out of W. MICHIGAN