What can we do to make it easier for dispatchers?

guido4475

Not a Member
Read a story in a Magazine from dispatchers point of view, and it brought back some memories of when I used to dispatch as a fill-in back in 89.

What can we do to make it easier for them?

I know it gets frustrating waiting for a load, sometimes days on end,but I feel the more we call and bug them, the less time they have to look for loads.I think 1-2 times a day is more than enough.

And to keep calls to a minimum,business related to a point.

Communication as to every aspect what is going on with a load? The run itself? It all helps.

What do you think? Suggest?

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
My theory on the calling is that dispatch knows where I am and that I'm available for freight. If they are on the phone with me they have lost out on time to find me a load. I don't call.
I do send qualcomm messages or emails when I have a change in status.

guido4475

Not a Member
My theory on the calling is that dispatch knows where I am and that I'm available for freight. If they are on the phone with me they have lost out on time to find me a load. I don't call.
I do send qualcomm messages or emails when I have a change in status.

Yes, The Qualcomm has its many advantages, what you said being one of them.Also lessens the risk of mis-givin load info as well.I love mine, especially with the scanner in it.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Where to start.

1. You're not the only truck. Dispatch has to answer calls from other drivers and customers and another call could come in any second. Convey your information and don't take it personally if the dispatcher has to get off your call quickly.

2. I know that you have to make an informed decision about a load offer, but also understand that loads are covered quickly these days and decisions have to be made fast. If you're with a company with a no forced dispatch policy, then the dispatcher has to have your approval before booking a load and the dispatcher has to move quickly before the load is gone. Keep that in mind if you want to play a game of 20 questions. If you take too long deciding or ask too many questions, the load could be gone by the time the dispatcher gets off the phone with you and tries to book the load.

3. Communication is extremely important. The timeliness of that communication is also very important. Don't tell your dispatcher something important 30 minutes or an hour after it happened. When you arrive at a shipper, depart a shipper, arrive at a consignee, depart the consignee, encounter a traffic jam, etc., your dispatcher needs to know that information right when it happens.

4. Get your paperwork in promptly. Your carrier needs that paperwork to move forward with billing the load so they can get paid. Carriers need to get paid so they can pay you, and you'd be surprised how much payment to a carrier can be delayed by paperwork not being submitted to a customer on time. Some brokers even deduct money if paperwork isn't submitted within 24 hours of the completion of the load.

5. Your dispatcher will still remember you if you don't call every 5 minutes. Time spent talking to you is time not spent looking for freight. Call if anything changes with your status, but checking in every hour really isn't necessary. If you don't run, the company doesn't make money. Trust me. Your dispatchers aren't going to stop looking for a load if you don't check in several times a day.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
If you have to call dispatch,just treat them with respect.They may get short tempered with you,but remember they are in plenty of pressure,as your not the only truck calling in.If your on hold for a long time,you know they are busy,and myself,the longer I'm on hold the shorter my temper gets.When they finally answer,first thing I say is how ya doing,that gives my temper a chance to slow down,and if who ever answers gives me a hard time for calling,I'm able to ignore it.No matter how hard it is ,just be polite,it will go a long way

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
One thing that's frustrating me is when I call one of my companies about relocating is that it's hard to pry information out of them. I'll deliver, and start considering my options, but without a QC, I don't know how many vans are where, right? So I call in and ask, and I'll get a response like, "You can go anywhere you want!" Like I'm an idiot, right?

So I say, "I know I can go anywhere I want, but it would be stupid of me to go where there are several of us stacked up, wouldn't it?"

The way they act, I must be the only driver calling in to find out where my competition is. I don't get it. Until they automate this, I don't see as I have any choice but to call in and ask this.

MR.SNAPPY

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I work with the best dispatchers that I have ever had..They are honest and treat you like a person and not a number..It also helps that I am only dealing with about 7 differant dispatchers than the 50 at my last company.

I feel guilty when I say no to a load.and when sitting empty I know these dispatchers are trying to find me a load at the highest rate they can get.

They also go out of there way to get me home and keep my deadhead down..I would put these dispatchers at Load 1 against anybody..Load 1 has made Expediting fun again and very profitable !!!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have never been a dispatcher and after sitting on an extension listening to the questions they are asked I would not change jobs with them.

The one thing that really blew my mind while listening what the type of questions they were asked:

Where can I get my truck weighed I think the load is heavy.

On a telephone dispatch she was asked over and over how to spell the name of the contacts, street names, and city locations. I was ready to choke the driver and her voice never changed.

Other questions on where they could get their truck worked on.

I felt as if most of the time she was babysitting not dispatching loads.

As business owners or independent drivers I was amazed to the degree the dispatcher would go to help. I have to wonder what their job description looks like.

I feel as if it is best to be pleasant on the phone and professional. Take care of business so we can move on and they can move on. I do not think they care about the details we get our job done they get their job done.

Their job is to dispatch loads and our job is to pick them up and deliver them. I am not real concerned if they are having a bad day because someone in the next cubical is grouchy and they do not care if I am having a bad day fighting traffic we both have a job to get done.

guido4475

Not a Member
I work with the best dispatchers that I have ever had..They are honest and treat you like a person and not a number..It also helps that I am only dealing with about 7 differant dispatchers than the 50 at my last company.

I feel guilty when I say no to a load.and when sitting empty I know these dispatchers are trying to find me a load at the highest rate they can get.

They also go out of there way to get me home and keep my deadhead down..I would put these dispatchers at Load 1 against anybody..Load 1 has made Expediting fun again and very profitable !!!

Isnt that the truth? Load One is one company that others should follow, setting a new standard in expediting.I love them all there.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Different carriers have different policies, procedures and practices with dispatch. The way to make things easier for dispatchers, and for yourself, is to learn how exactly your dispatchers and dispatch system works and adapt to it. And if that particular dispatch environment does not work for you, find a new carrier where it will.

Diane and I have been with our carrier (FedEx Custom Critical) since 2003. We have never once expected to be treated as anything other than a number and available truck. With a fleet size that ranges from 1,200 to 1,500 trucks, and with only a tiny fraction of that number of dispatchers on duty at any one time, it would be unrealistic to expect them all to know us like family or deal with us in anything more than a cold, efficient, transactional way.

That said, many dispatchers have come to know us by name over they years, simply because we have stuck around and they have too. Those who know us by name know us as "good" contractors who can get the job done and who don't raise our voices or lose our professional demeanor when we are upset.

We get on and off the phone quickly, keeping the conversations short because we know they have other things to do. We generally don't call dispatch unless it pertains to a specific load. We don't expect dispathers to keep us moving. That is not their job. Their job is to cover loads.

If we find ourselves laid over too long someplace, we don't call in and beg to be relocated or cry for freight they do not have. We call and tell them we have made the decision to move and ask, "Where can you best use us?" Dispatchers don't like cry babies any more than we do so we try to not be cry babies ourselves.

We listen close when dispatchers compliment us. It is interesting to note exactly what they are saying. It often goes something like, "I never have to worry about a load after it is dispatched to you." Or, "When I put you on a load, I know there won't be any problems."

Notice how they put the compliment in their terms. We are good contractors not because we are good, but because the dispatchers won't have any problems once we are on a load.

Dispatchers don't want any problems and we give them none. That's how to make it easier for dispatchers. That is not to say we don't call when genuine issues develop with a load or a customer. But when we call a dispatcher with those kind of problems, it is to work together with the dispatcher to satisfy a customer and make the load a success.

It is not difficult to look good in the eyes of dispatch. Figure out how the system works. Adjust your expectations accordingly. Give dispatch what they want (while protecting your own business interests, of course). And rely on the fact that the blowhards and idiots who enter and leave the fleet will make you look great while you simply do your job and keep your voice down.

In time, you will become known as one of the "good" contractors who is good because you don't create problems that dispatchers have to solve.

That's my perspective developed in my experience in contracting with only one carrier whose dispatchers themselves are well trained and almost always professional in dealing with us. Our dispatchers are one of our carrier's strengths and one of the reasons we stick around.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Many of you never sat in the chair of a dispatcher and many more who have never actually had to work in the environment that has a lot of pressure. An article is meaningless because there may not be anything that you can relate it too.

THIS is the freight business, not a police or fire or EMS so the pressures on these dispatchers are a lot lot less than those of a police, fire or EMS department. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT to understand so many of you who sat with a dispatcher, don't think that it is all what it appears to be.

I'm hard on dispatchers in this industry, it is an easy job for the most part and much of their own issues come from a lack of knowledge, a lack of willingness to treat it more than a job and a misunderstanding what is more important in the revenue chain. Many of them are hired off the street and never knew what a truck was before they got hired, the company sticks them in a truck for a week and then expects them to actually understand what we go through.

Most of the problems are related to one important thing;

That truck is more important than your dispatcher, so treat it as it is important.

If I want to help a "dispatcher" then I would demand that they learn what I do and don't have an attitude that my time isn't as important as their time.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
I treat dispatchers with nothing but respect. I never raise my voice or get an attitude. But with Panther they take FOR EVERRRRRRRR to solve a problem. When you call in be prepared to wait. And when they do solve the problem alot of times they dont even give you the benefit of the doubt to call you back or send a message on the QC. I have to call back in to receive the info needed. Thats my only complaint.

But what can we do to make it easier for dispatchers? Really nothing I can think of except give them the most info you can give them when a problem happens :confused:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Isnt that the truth? Load One is one company that others should follow, setting a new standard in expediting.I love them all there.

There it is.....:rolleyes:

That right there says it all about dispatchers. John E runs an exceptional system by far from all that I've heard. Team Caffee talking about the weight ticket, good grief some of these guy's.
When I had 12 TT,:cool: a driver called me at 1AM in the morning, "I gotta a flat tire". I won't repeat what I told him but when you got a credit card in your pocket and looking at a truck stop why call anybody?
Dispatching is the hardest job in Trucking, including driving, how they keep their sanity day after day talking to people is beyond me, that's why when I call always try to at least tell them I appreciate them and what they do. I don't always like what I get but by god what goes around comes around.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Dispatching is the hardest job in Trucking, including driving,

You kidding?

It is no where near as hard as the job of driving in a rain storm while trying to figure out where you are or dealing with a dangerous situation like a driver on the wrong side of the freeway coming right at you.

See maybe it is the fact that a dispatcher gets to go home after his/her shift is done, most leave work at work and don't do follow ups or hand offs.

As for Load-1, I don't know if they have the greatest dispatchers as many are claiming, but I do know I have met some at other companies who I would trust without hesitation to help me do my job that produces the revenue for all of us, but they don't work at Load-1. Maybe John would hire them?

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
You kidding?

It is no where near as hard as the job of driving in a rain storm while trying to figure out where you are or dealing with a dangerous situation like a driver on the wrong side of the freeway coming right at you.

See maybe it is the fact that a dispatcher gets to go home after his/her shift is done, most leave work at work and don't do follow ups or hand offs.

As for Load-1, I don't know if they have the greatest dispatchers as many are claiming, but I do know I have met some at other companies who I would trust without hesitation to help me do my job that produces the revenue for all of us, but they don't work at Load-1. Maybe John would hire them?

Feel free to have them contact me, we are always looking for exceptional people!

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
You kidding?

:eek:

Wow, I guess I know how you feel about dispatchers. Yes driving is tuff but TO ME sitting down talking on a telephone all day with most people who are supposed to be in business for themselves but asking silly questions like, My mommy is sick can I go home. Well that's just my opinion and you have yours. I couldn't do it.:rolleyes:

As far as load one, the only good comments I've seen on this site are about them so show me others. I am not leased to load 1. Least not right now.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
One thing that's frustrating me is when I call one of my companies about relocating is that it's hard to pry information out of them. I'll deliver, and start considering my options, but without a QC, I don't know how many vans are where, right? So I call in and ask, and I'll get a response like, "You can go anywhere you want!" Like I'm an idiot, right?

So I say, "I know I can go anywhere I want, but it would be stupid of me to go where there are several of us stacked up, wouldn't it?"

I know that this will fall to the center of all the "multi-leasing" debate, but I may be able to help you see the problem. If this is one of three companies you are doing loads for, then they only have about 33% of your effort. This MIGHT explain why it feels as if you are only getting about 33% of THEIR effort.

I'm just sayin'....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You want to help out your dispatchers? Go sit in dispatch a few hours and observe while they do their job. I've done it at two different carriers. You will learn a lot and it won't be the same from carrier to carrier.

Now, that said, many dispatchers need to learn a lot more about what we do and work a lot harder at treating us correctly and fairly. They need to learn to look at the time of the last dispatch. If a unit was on a run from 1700-0500 then don't call/beep/bother that unit until at least 1500 if whatever it is will keep until then as he/she/they are probably sleeping, or at least should be.

Dispatch shouldn't send messages over the QC especially if it's going to continue to beep until the message is read. That can disturb sleep and negatively impact safety to a far greater degree than the "fleet safety message", which many have heard more than once and already know by heart, can ever positively impact safety.

Dispatchers need to be taught enough to understand why jobs are turned down so they can accept refusals without taking it personally or thinking the operator is stupid for their decision. Perhaps it is a stupid decision in some cases but presumably not in the mind of the operator in the particular instance.

I like the idea of working with dispatchers and treating them politely and professionally but along with that they need to know enough about our side of the business to treat us similarly.