Westmicher's New XLT 10 Project Begins!

Monty

Expert Expediter
Nice! Keep it coming ...... btw, that chassis is gonna be 2 years old before it hits the road! ;)

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I picture you now getting delayed at the shipper as you have to push your way through the crowd of gawkers.

eb

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Today we installed the roof with aircraft tape, and will trim it off Monday with trim rails running the long edges of the top. We also formed cool "kick outs" for the front of the wheel openings to help guide the airflow past the rear wheels. We will be forming "kick ins" at the rear edges of the rear wheels as well.

E350 Box Interior Roof On.jpgE350 Pass Plate Kick.jpgE350 Pass Plate Kick 2.jpgE350 Driver Plate Kick.jpg

Yes, it is taking longer than we originally planned but we are very pleased with the results anyway.

Oatmeal

Active Expediter
Hi, very nice work.

I'm curious about the tires. You wrote that they were MTX2's and 10% larger.

I couldn't find that tire listed on Michelin's website, did you perhaps mean LTX M/S-2 ? Also what size exactly are you using? Any tire clearance issues on the front?

Also, there were a few questions earlier on about economy "chips". Are you familiar with Mike @ 5 Star Tuning? He is the only one able to provide a tuner with up to 3 separate tunes for the 2 valve 5.4L. He offers an "87 octane- economy" tune among others.

Thanks,
Oatmeal.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I'm curious about the tires. You wrote that they were MTX2's and 10% larger.

I couldn't find that tire listed on Michelin's website, did you perhaps mean LTX M/S-2 ? Also what size exactly are you using? Any tire clearance issues on the front?

Also, there were a few questions earlier on about economy "chips". Are you familiar with Mike @ 5 Star Tuning? He is the only one able to provide a tuner with up to 3 separate tunes for the 2 valve 5.4L. He offers an "87 octane- economy" tune among others.

Thanks,
Oatmeal.

OK, I took pictures of the tires so you can read what they are. And although I've had no clearance problems at all, you have to take into account at least two important facts:

1. I only have 450 unloaded miles on the truck.

2. Because of the design of our truck, virtually all of the load weight will be carried on the rear tires, so your truck will probably carry more of your loads on the front tires.

As far as the chips, I haven't looked into anything else yet, but will be this spring.

Thanks!LTX MS2.jpgE350 Tire Size.jpg

Last edited:

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Any new recent pictures of the complete finished product? Just wondering....And curious...and envious..

I can show more details. Unfortunately progress in slow this winter. It's too cold in the barn and the Sprinter it's replacing is still running well so the urgency to get out in the cold isn't very high!

Here's the access door for the porti-potty (which my co-driver demands!)
E350 PP.jpgE350 PP2.jpgE350 PP3.jpg

Oatmeal

Active Expediter
Thanks for that. I have 265/75's on mine and have no rubbing issues at all. That size turned the 3.73 into 3.48 or 3.58 depending if one started with 225's or 245's. I think it helped my MPGs but its hard to tell because I'm running all- terrains and those really don't promote fuel efficiency.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Has this project been over or under budget from what you expected?

(It's been great following your success!!)

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Wondering about relationship with welder.
Relative ? You saved his life ? Got polaroids ?
My weld shop would handle a project like that. $70 per hour. It adds up fast.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Has this project been over or under budget from what you expected?

I've gone a little over, both in time AND money spent. However, some of that was learning and more of it is that I am a freaking perfectionist. But I want the company I work for (soon, not today's) to be super proud of my truck and my service both. And I have to live with it for 3 or more years (unless I HAVE to have a Transit Cab/Chassis XLT 10, which is possible). I'd like to show it off a bit too, at least at shows.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Wondering about relationship with welder.
Relative ? You saved his life ? Got polaroids ?
My weld shop would handle a project like that. $70 per hour. It adds up fast.

He is a good friend. I'm paying quite a bit less than his normal shop rate of $68 an hour. Keep in mind ALL he is doing is welding. I do the engineering, cutting, grinding, running/fetching, etc. That being said, there has been plenty of welding!