Westmicher's New XLT 10 Project Begins!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry, we were out running hard making a little cash to pay the bills! The frame extension is steel, made to the same size/specs as the original frame. The wheels are American Racing AR-23 style 16" x 7" x 8 bolt 6.5" dia. bolt circle. It was very difficult to find a 7" wide wheel with the proper bolt holes/spacing, especially with enough weight rating. As long as it looks, there are many motorhomes with a lot more hanging off behind the axle!!! Of course, you won't find us loading 6,000 lbs right on the tail either, it has to be loaded properly!

sitting at almost 5,000 lbs now....forget about the 6,000 lb payload....
when finished you should be closer to a 4,000 lb payload....

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Our new truck has arrived! We've changed the wheels, tires, and exhaust to start. The new super-areo box is next. Our goals are no more than 6,000 lbs. empty with a 10,000 lb. GVW. Room for 4 skids plus a small kitchen area and a built in generator box in the side. She weighs 4,510 lbs. as she sits here.

This was our very first quote withour goals listed. The reference to "6,000 lbs on the tail" was addressing concerns expressed that the bed was too long . . . extending too far past the rear wheels. So 4,000 lbs cargo has always been the goal, which seems like it will be easy to achieve.

That being said, while the GVW IS 10,000 lbs listed on the door jamb by Ford, the chassis is actually a 12,500 lbs. GVW chassis simply downrated by Ford. As such it could still carry 6,500 lbs of cargo safely, assuming the truck weighs a maximum of 6,000 lbs. Only the 10,000 lb GVW rating on the door would keep us to 4,000 lbs. maximum cargo.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
This was our very first quote withour goals listed. The reference to "6,000 lbs on the tail" was addressing concerns expressed that the bed was too long . . . extending too far past the rear wheels. So 4,000 lbs cargo has always been the goal, which seems like it will be easy to achieve.

That being said, while the GVW IS 10,000 lbs listed on the door jamb by Ford, the chassis is actually a 12,500 lbs. GVW chassis simply downrated by Ford. As such it could still carry 6,500 lbs of cargo safely, assuming the truck weighs a maximum of 6,000 lbs. Only the 10,000 lb GVW rating on the door would keep us to 4,000 lbs. maximum cargo.

Thanks..that clarifies a lot.....Good luck....:)

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
After another day of work, the entire box is framed is, minus filling in the angles at the rear. The cargo lashing rails are going on Monday.
E350 Rear Door Frame 2.jpgE350 Rear Door Frame.jpgE350 Box Front Three Quarters.jpgE350 Box Front Three Quarters 2.jpg

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
We are done with the box frame, and concentrating on details now before we skin her. I'll describe many of those details in the next few posts. Here is the completed frame for now . . .
E350 Box Frame Done.jpgE350 Back Door Frame.jpgE350 Back Door Frame 2.jpgE350 Back Door Frame 3.jpg
Before you ask, I decided to raise the cargo rails 3" higher to allow for a "Power Deck" cargo transfer system. Even though the GVW is 10,000 lbs, the truck can safely carry 12,500 lbs. IF WE WERE TO CARRY MORE THAN 10,000 lbs, making sure the load could be easily balanced is super important, especially keeping in mind that she will carry 4 skids. We don't want to be pushing & pulling on the parking brake & park pins with that much weight & distance.

Last edited:

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
The only steel we added was at the rear of the truck, to extend the truck frame & now for a combination step, fork lift stop, and anti-submarine bar (the later mandated by the feds to prevent a car from sliding under the truck & getting to our fuel tank. It also serves as a skid bar when we come to crazy mis-aligned curb cuts & such.
E350 Hitch Step Back.jpgE350 Hitch Step.jpg

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
The Ford gas tank has an auxillary fuel port, which we are hooking up to our on-board generator. This will allow the generator to use gas right out of the tank, down to 1/4 full. NO MORE CARRYING GAS CANS!!!E350 Gas Tank.jpg

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
The cab came from Ford mounted on rubber mounts, with 8 rubber mounts for the box. We added length to the frame and added 8 more rubber mounts to handle the entire box properly. The box is now completely rubber mounted, unlike most box truck which have solid u-bolt mounts.
E350 Rubber Mount.jpg

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
The front view shows how we kept the wind resistance to a minimum, by staying as close as we could to the cab profile. A slick fairing is in the works now. We even gave bottom of the box a return angle that mimics the cab angle to help manage the wind under and around the bottom of the box.
E350 Front View.jpgE350 Box Side Rails.jpg

guido4475

Not a Member
The cab came from Ford mounted on rubber mounts, with 8 rubber mounts for the box. We added length to the frame and added 8 more rubber mounts to handle the entire box properly. The box is now completely rubber mounted, unlike most box truck which have solid u-bolt mounts.
View attachment 5583

Do you think polyurethane mounts would be a better choice for stronger and more stable body roll control?

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Do you think polyurethane mounts would be a better choice for stronger and more stable body roll control?

With a total of 16 mounts and the rear axle width @ 80", I feel comfortable with the limited movement these rubber mounts will allow. However, the entire body can be removed easily just by removing the floor plywood to access the mounts, so we can change them if we have to. I think they will be fine.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I should mention that she weighs 5,480 now, so with the addition of the skin, door, and power deck, we may exceed or 6,000 lb. empty goal by 100+ lbs. which I can live with.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
We are done with the box frame, and concentrating on details now before we skin her. I'll describe many of those details in the next few posts. Here is the completed frame for now . . .
View attachment 5576View attachment 5577View attachment 5578View attachment 5579
Before you ask, I decided to raise the cargo rails 3" higher to allow for a "Power Deck" cargo transfer system. Even though the GVW is 10,000 lbs, the truck can safely carry 12,500 lbs. IF WE WERE TO CARRY MORE THAN 10,000 lbs, making sure the load could be easily balanced is super important, especially keeping in mind that she will carry 4 skids. We don't want to be pushing & pulling on the parking brake & park pins with that much weight & distance.

I don't know if I can explain this in print but I will try.
When looking at the back of the box frame, I'm wondering if the top of the frame should have a stabilizer plate across the top from side to side. The reason for this when manufacturers build trailers or box trucks they strengthen the top to prevent side to side movement which eventually weakens welds. This would be most noted exiting the road onto a driveway (truckstop etc) and transitioning from hwy to driveway causing the frame to twist.
That's just an observation and it's a great looking rig. I can see a lot of planning involved. Keep it up.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I don't know if I can explain this in print but I will try.
When looking at the back of the box frame, I'm wondering if the top of the frame should have a stabilizer plate across the top from side to side. The reason for this when manufacturers build trailers or box trucks they strengthen the top to prevent side to side movement which eventually weakens welds. This would be most noted exiting the road onto a driveway (truckstop etc) and transitioning from hwy to driveway causing the frame to twist.
That's just an observation and it's a great looking rig. I can see a lot of planning involved. Keep it up.

That's probably a good idea. The chassis itself is very, very strong but I can see that the top rear frame could be strengthened more for insurance, especially at this point when its easier to do. I'll run it by the welder guy.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
The floor is made of 2" x 3" aluminum shape, welded with crossbraces at each mounting point. The bottom pans are on most of the frame, the only exception had to be made near the axle because of a up-bump in the frame to allow axle travel. Although there will be no insulation ubove the axle, all of the rest of the floor will have 3" of extruded insulation, bonded to the bottom pan. !" aluminum tabs have been added where needed to facilitate FIRM mounting of the plywood floor. You can see where the access holes are for the frame mounting holes, and the bottom pan before insulation in this picture.
E350 Box Frame Floor Detail.jpg

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
The box is mounted very solidly to the cab, and the entire box/cab assembly is rubber mounted to the frame. A partial bunkhead will go here during the final trim of the interior.
E350 Cab Back.jpg

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Looking good so far.

About the rear bracing,couldn't you have a piece welded all the way across the top.From corner to corner and then have it drop so far down.3 or 4 inches is all I'm thinking.That way it doesn't cut the height down much. Not knocking anything just wondering and thinking ahead. I do go to extremes sometime.