Weekly (right-wing) Wing-Nut Roundup

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Churches provide food. shelter, and aid to the poor in return for being tax exempt - that's the deal.
Where do you come up with this stuff? No. That's not the deal. There is no requirement for a tax-exempt church to provide food, shelter or anything else to anybody to be tax exempt. The deal is they are tax exempt in exchange for them staying out of government and the government staying out of religion.

In effect, they are subsidized by the government, which is taxpayers.
Interesting twist, but no. There's a vast difference between not paying taxes and in being subsidized by taxpayers. If you are extremely short-sighted, and have an anti-religion agenda, you will claim that by not paying income and property taxes, that's money they government isn't getting, but should be, and therefore the government is subsidizing religion. It's the same claim made by the MPAA that every single illegally downloaded copy of a movie directly equates to real money that would have otherwise been spent at a movie theater or on a DVD. Both arguments are equally ridiculous. If you think churches should be paying taxes, then that's a notion you should really think long and hard on, as it's a can of worms you really don't want to open. If churches aren't tax exempt, then they are entitled to have a real, valid and legitimate say in how the government is run. Is that a limb you really want to go out on?

Using that to impose their beliefs upon those who have little choice but to be a captive audience is immoral, IMO.
Is it the imposition of the beliefs you object to, or is it the content of those beliefs? The reason I ask is, no charity, even that in the form of taxpayer funded welfare, comes without the imposition of beliefs in one form or another.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Where do you come up with this stuff? No. That's not the deal. There is no requirement for a tax-exempt church to provide food, shelter or anything else to anybody to be tax exempt. The deal is they are tax exempt in exchange for them staying out of government and the government staying out of religion.

The deal is implicit: churches, like non profits, do good. The government wishes to encourage do gooding, so they reward it. [Like the tax credits for marriage, and home mortgages] That's fine, it's a quid pro quo deal.

Interesting twist, but no. There's a vast difference between not paying taxes and in being subsidized by taxpayers. If you are extremely short-sighted, and have an anti-religion agenda, you will claim that by not paying income and property taxes, that's money they government isn't getting, but should be, and therefore the government is subsidizing religion. It's the same claim made by the MPAA that every single illegally downloaded copy of a movie directly equates to real money that would have otherwise been spent at a movie theater or on a DVD. Both arguments are equally ridiculous. If you think churches should be paying taxes, then that's a notion you should really think long and hard on, as it's a can of worms you really don't want to open. If churches aren't tax exempt, then they are entitled to have a real, valid and legitimate say in how the government is run. Is that a limb you really want to go out on?

I don't think churches should be paying taxes - but neither do I think they should be forcing their views upon captive audiences.

Is it the imposition of the beliefs you object to, or is it the content of those beliefs? The reason I ask is, no charity, even that in the form of taxpayer funded welfare, comes without the imposition of beliefs in one form or another.

It's the imposition upon the unwilling. I realize it's difficult to refrain from doing so, especially when it's an inherent part of those beliefs [to 'witness', or evangelize], but shoving it down people's throats when they have no [real] choice but to listen is still, IMO, immoral.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's the imposition upon the unwilling. I realize it's difficult to refrain from doing so, especially when it's an inherent part of those beliefs [to 'witness', or evangelize], but shoving it down people's throats when they have no [real] choice but to listen is still, IMO, immoral.
I think you're overly aggrandizing what actually takes place.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is a big difference between sharing and imposing. ISIS imposes their beliefs. Christian churches share their beliefs.

Reactions: Turtle

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Some will look for any opportunity to slam religion even when it's not warranted.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Many times in here, some folks shove their opinions at others many times, just stick around for a few weeks and you will see that happen...

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Some will look for any opportunity to slam religion even when it's not warranted.
Just as there are some who will look for any opportunity to slam adherents of a particular religion ... even when it's not warranted.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Many times in here, some folks shove their opinions at others many times, just stick around for a few weeks and you will see that happen...
Not really surprising that such a thing would happen in here.

Got something to say about politics, the state of the world, what's happening today, just need to express your opinion? Liberal? Conservative? You're welcomed here! Just keep it civil!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Meaning what exactly ... that the physical buildings ("offices") weren't owned by the state ?
Most, if not all, of the satellite offices are located in government buildings, but the office space itself used for the transactions is not owned by the state, but rather is owned by the city or the county. For example, the satellite office in Russellville, AL (20 miles south of Florence, Tuscumbia, Muscle Shoals) is located in the basement of the county courthouse, and was open one day a week.

Much of this outrageously fake outrage is much massive ado about nothing. Most of the transactions the office handled, like drivers license renewals, have now been moved to online anyway. Russellville, population 9,830, is the county seat of Franklin County, population 31,704, so that county is now without the driver's license center that it previously had for 4 days a month. People will have to go up to Sheffield (just south of Florence) or the 30 miles (for some) down to Hamilton, AL for certain drivers license related transactions that are only handled by the ALEA.

A few of the services offered by the satellite offices were only available at those satellite offices or the main district offices, like written and road driving tests, and the issuing of the STAR IDs (state ID for voter registration, among other things). But license renewals and most of the other services have always been available at the Probate Judge's Office five days a week from 8-5. Those services are still available at the Probate office. In addition, the Probate office in every county is now also issuing the STAR IDs. So instead of having to go all the way down to the basement to get your STAR ID, you can now just stay on the first floor and do it. The Voter Registrar's office in every county, as always, issues STAR IDs.

In my county in Kentucky, if I want to renew my license (or obtain a state-issued photo ID) I can just to down to the Circuit Court Clerk's office and they take my picture and issue me a new license (or ID card), which is exactly the same as going to the Probate office in Alabama. If I have to take the written or road test, I can only go there on Tuesday or Wednesday, because that's when the State Police will be there to give the examination (or I can go up to Benton in Marshall County on Thursday or Friday). If the State Police Traveling All Stars were to cease their tour, I'd have to go to Paducah for a written or road test, but the renewals remains the same.

To get fingerprinted for the CDL HAZMAT background check, I have to go to one of only 8 locations in the state for that (Louisville, Erlanger, Madisonville, Lexington, Paducah, Bowling Green, London, Paintsville).

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just as there are some who will look for any opportunity to slam adherents of a particular religion ... even when it's not warranted.
Yeah, there is some of that christianophobia going around. Right?

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, there is some of that christianophobia going around. Right?
I could call a cat "a dog" ... instead of a cat ... however, no matter what I called it, it's makeup and nature would still be the same thing.

IOW: The label can be wrong ... but the thing in question will still be whatever it actually is, no matter what one chooses to call it.

Get my drift ?

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Some more of that Christian Phobia stuff,,right here in Tennessee, now I gotta carry my old 6 shooter, darn it, and get some updated hollow-points,,,well I am off to the ammo store..

Tennessee Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey responded to the mass shooting at an Oregon community college in a Facebook post Friday saying that “fellow Christians” should consider getting a handgun carry permit to protect themselves.

In his Facebook posting, Ramsey, who is also speaker of the Tennessee senate, said the recent spate of mass shootings around the nation is “truly troubling.”

The Blountville Republican said, "whether the perpetrators are motivated by aggressive secularism, jihadist extremism or racial supremacy, their targets remain the same: Christians and defenders of the West."

"I would encourage my fellow Christians who are serious about their faith to think about getting a handgun carry permit," Ramsey wrote. "I have always believed that it is better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it. Our enemies are armed. We must do likewise."

Home on the range , anyone?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I could call a cat "a dog" ... instead of a cat ... however, no matter what I called it, it's makeup and nature would still be the same thing.

IOW: The label can be wrong ... but the thing in question will still be whatever it actually is, no matter what one chooses to call it.

Get my drift ?

From your keyboard to Bruce Jenner's eyeballs.

Reactions: muttly