We Bail Em' Out....

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
And THIS is what they do!! Not that they weren't doing this before but obviously they have no fear of ending up in the unemployment line.

Might also explain some of the attitudes we encounter when we attempt to deliver at some of these union places!

hdxpedx

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Looks like the same 2 hand's who made me wait while they finished reading the newspaper at 2am before receiving my frt.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Looks like the same 2 hand's who made me wait while they finished reading the newspaper at 2am before receiving my frt.

The list of these kind of things goes on and on while the American public wonders why the cost of their products is through the roof.

I know people that worked at GM and slept until they were needed. Some working 3rd shift and not needing any sleep at home because they got all they needed while on the job.

Adding insult to injury, once they retire, we get to finance that adventure as well.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
My last visit to this plant leads me to believe we should have let the company go and let every one of the UAW workers lose their jobs.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Chrysler Kokomo workers can buy all the dope they want inside the plant itself.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If you believe this kind of thing goes on only at union places, it's because it's what you choose to believe - the truth is, it happens at a lot of nonunion places too.
The employees deserve to be fired, and no doubt management will see to it, as soon as they return from their 2 hour [and 3 martini] lunch break.
And they won't even see the hypocrisy, either.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
If you believe this kind of thing goes on only at union places, it's because it's what you choose to believe - the truth is, it happens at a lot of nonunion places too.

The problem Cheri is simple - in a UAW shop, most if not all the time the employees are not fired. This used to be the practice and recently still seems to be. Unless the employee has attempted to kill someone at work, the chances are they won't be fired.

In a non-UAW shop, they are fired.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Speaking of hypocrisy: how many of you would, if finding a shortcut that shaves 50 miles from a 500 mile load, inform the carrier that you actually drove [and should be paid for] just 450? :confused: [I wouldn't either!]

Greg: that's anecdotal, unless you have something to verify....

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Of course union and non-union shops have these problems BUT the difference is that the tax payer dollar isn't used to keep these turds in their jobs. Greg is correct, it's next to impossible for the company to fire these workers because of the union.

How long will any you keep your jobs or contracts if you fail a drug test? That's right, zero. Now to add insult to injury, not only will you lose your means of income, whatever job you can find after that..........will still find you contributing your tax dollars to problem children like these.

So THAT is the difference and the reason I posted the link.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Speaking of hypocrisy: how many of you would, if finding a shortcut that shaves 50 miles from a 500 mile load, inform the carrier that you actually drove [and should be paid for] just 450? :confused: [I wouldn't either!]

Greg: that's anecdotal, unless you have something to verify....

In this case, we have to remember that the routes given to us by our companies are merely "suggestions". They certainly aren't going to pay us more if we go out of their route. Happened to us just last week. They've become very good at routing us "over the river and through the woods" and we decided we weren't going to drive their route through the mountains.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
From the Detroit News ...

Chrysler Group LLC has identified and suspended 15 employees caught drinking and using drugs during their lunch break before returning to work to build Jeep Grand Cherokees at the Jefferson North plant.

The lunchtime habits of a small group of workers, which included trips to a party store and then to a public park, were captured on video by WJBK-TV (Channel 2). WJBK was tipped off by concerned co-workers.

Chrysler executives used the video to identify the workers, who were suspended without pay. The decision to fire or reinstate the employees will come by Monday, said spokeswoman Jodi Tinson.
Chrysler management wants the matter dealt with as swiftly as possible, Tinson said.

"We will not tolerate this kind of behavior," she said.

Video of drugs, alcohol leads to Chrysler workers' suspensions

IF it wasn't for the fact that this was on Fox, and the station has a habit of driving the issues into the ground, I think it would have been "you all have been very bad boys" and that would be the end of it.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Doesn't the UAW Health Trust Fund own 51% of Chrysler?. What are the chances these buffoons will be fired. Set down for a week maybe. :rolleyes:

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
Your lumping all the employees together again, most people in the factories are hard working and dont do drugs. The plant I worked at brought in undercover police and 30 people got fired and never got the jobs back. Your making this seem like its all employees in the plant, thats like saying because one truck driver drives druck all truck drivers drive drunk.

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Oilerman points out an important thought: The affinity for painting everyone with a rather broad brush. For example: I'm a Democrat; therefore, I MUST agree with everything our President does, or says. Not true! Or, Panther sucks, so all expediters must suck.

Last edited:

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Your lumping all the employees together again, most people in the factories are hard working and dont do drugs. The plant I worked at brought in undercover police and 30 people got fired and never got the jobs back. Your making this seem like its all employees in the plant, thats like saying because one truck driver drives druck all truck drivers drive drunk.

I read back through the comments in the thread and I don't see where anyone did that. I spent my share of time in factories so I agree with you that most are hard working and don't do drugs. However, I worked in non-union shops and there was a process that one had to go through if they failed the drug test, with termination waiting for repeat offenders. Had management of these companies been presented with the above video, the people would have been fired on the spot.

I will also add this, wouldn't there be company rules in place about drinking/drugs during the work day or will they get a pass on this issue because they have to punch out for their lunch, therefore deeming this as "their own time"?

We haven't addressed the safety issue in all of this. Hypothetically, if one of these workers is a little "off" his reaction time with machinery because of his lunchtime antics and someone gets hurt.....who pays the tab, the union that saved his job or the company?