Watch OUT!!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm pretty sure the only mandatory items are fuses, triangles and fire extinguisher. It's still a good idea to have a small kit though.
I can't remember, and am too lazy to go look right now (plus I need to roll to a pickup), but are replacement bulbs and fuses mandatory for all CMV's, or just the ones hauling HAZMAT?

Last edited by a moderator:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can't remember, and am too lazy to go look right now (plus I need to roll to a pickup), but are replacement bulbs and fuses mandatory for all CMV's, or just the ones hauling HAZMAT?
I'd go with only with Hazmat the only time we are a CMV...

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
What the reasoning is for having one I haven't a clue...I'd go out on a limb and say it is for the driver primarily....you know a skinned knuckle from a stubborn water pump...maybe a cut or sliver from a pallet...real simple stuff...cuzz we are only dumb drivers ya know....

This is one I can answer. They don't want you doing more than your trained to do. Most states are covered by a Good Samaritan law if you render aid to someone in a accident you cannot be held liable unless you go beyond your training.
I am a nationally certified 1st responder. I received the training in 2003 when the course started because of 911. I have kept the certification current because I also volunteer on our local fire dept.
I will give you an example which really happened.
A state Senators daughter ran off the interstate and hit a tree head on. A passing truck driver stopped to render aid. The car was crushed surrounding her body but the driver decided she needed to come out of the car. He pulled her from the wreck. There was no danger of fire at the time. He left her laying in the medium on the grass to fend for herself. She had a broken pelvis bone, broke left shoulder and two broken ribs. She should not have been touched except by emergency personnel. We arrived on the scene and there she was with another hand full of people looking down on her talking on they're phones. Anyway that driver who thought he was helping could have killed her with the injuries she had. Since he left the scene the law working the accident decided to issue a warrant because he, is now involved with the accident. Dont' know what happened after that. We flew her out and she is okay now. Moral of the story, if you don't know what's ailing someone, don't mess with it.

Last edited:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I've seen long form pre-trip inspection forms that had, among the many boxes to be checked, one for spare bulbs, fuses, breakers, ect. FWIW...

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I don't find that funny Highway ;)

I while ago, I helped at an accident and there was a college couple that wanted to help out, they stopped on the other side of the road, crossed over almost got flattened by a bus and ran up to me and another person trying to stop the bleeding of the driver while we waited for EMS. They had their little hiking first aid kit. The girl passed out seeing blood and the guy tried to help by handing me a box of bandaids from the kit.

I showed them my first aid kit which I kept in the pickup and they seemed to be a bit embarrassed.

Seriously, the biltz is on and straight trucks may be a target - easy to inspect and easy to write up. Last year it was brakes this year it is LOGS so for those who want to not do pre-trips and mark them on the log or seal the box and claim everything is kosher, have fun with your violations.

Why are you knocking on people who trying to help....at least they stopped.....many people just cruise on by....I don't find it nice that you were knocking people who wanted to help.....and sorry everybody is not as prepared as you. What I find funny is you were crowing over YOUR first aid kit...that make you better than them??

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
While your looking for Band Aids. You might want to see if OOIDA Land Line magazine is available on line. I only saw the head line and DID NOT read the article. It's about ComData being hacked for customers #'s and monies being taken from Com Data accounts.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yep, I'm a bit better than running across the street, almost getting hit by a bus and then showing up with a bandaid.

Their good intentions almost got them killed, that's the point. The bandaid was rather an uninformed attempt to fix a problem bigger then they thought it could be.

While I may appear to be arrogant about it, there is a reason for my post which is to make some think about what they have in their truck in the way of a first aid kit, not for others but just themselves. Even the most basic things to handle scraps and cuts are absent from trucks.

About those two, they got lectured by the EMS personal on site, then I told them what I thought which got them to thinking. I offer them a bit of advice to go to a training company who teaches field medicine and today they own their own training company in Arizona where they will train anyone survival medicine.

TheRebel

Seasoned Expediter
I'm pretty sure the only mandatory items are fuses, triangles and fire extinguisher. It's still a good idea to have a small kit though.

In Europe it's mandatory for any kind of vehicle... as well as a reflective vest... :(

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Why are you knocking on people who trying to help....at least they stopped.....many people just cruise on by....I don't find it nice that you were knocking people who wanted to help.....and sorry everybody is not as prepared as you. What I find funny is you were crowing over YOUR first aid kit...that make you better than them??

It's not 'knocking' on people to point out that an injured person should not be moved [except in case of imminent threat, such as fire] by untrained persons.
Broken bones can deflate lungs, damage spinal cords, and cause internal bleeding.
FWIW: in 6 yrs, I've never used the first aid kit on anyone except myself. :eek:

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've seen long form pre-trip inspection forms that had, among the many boxes to be checked, one for spare bulbs, fuses, breakers, ect. FWIW...
OK, found it. :)

§ 393.1 - 393.7
Subpart A - General

§ 393.1 Scope of the rules in this part:

(a) The rules in this part establish minimum standards for commercial motor vehicles as defined in § 390.5 of this title. Only motor vehicles (as defined in § 390.5) and combinations of motor vehicles which meet the definition of a commercial motor vehicle are subject to the requirements of this part. All requirements that refer to motor vehicles with a GVWR below 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) are applicable only when the motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles meets the definition of a commercial motor vehicle.

==================================

Here are the regulations concerning fuses and all emergency equipment (including a first aid kit, or rather a lack thereof ;) ). I went ahead and included all of it, just in case people want to double check their fire extinguisher to make sure it's the right kind, and for those who may have liquid-burning flares.

§ 393.95
Subpart H - Emergency equipment

§ 393.95 Emergency equipment on all power units.

Each truck, truck tractor, and bus (except those towed in driveaway-towaway operations) must be equipped as follows:

(a) Fire extinguishers—(1) Minimum ratings. (i) A power unit that is used to transport hazardous materials in a quantity that requires placarding (See §177.823 of this title) must be equipped with a fire extinguisher having an Underwriters' Laboratories rating of 10 B:C or more.

(ii) A power unit that is not used to transport hazardous materials must be equipped with either:

(A) A fire extinguisher having an Underwriters' Laboratories rating of 5 B:C or more; or

(B) Two fire extinguishers, each of which has an Underwriters' Laboratories rating of 4 B:C or more.

(2) Labeling and marking. Each fire extinguisher required by this section must be labeled or marked by the manufacturer with its Underwriters' Laboratories rating.

(3) Visual Indicators. The fire extinguisher must be designed, constructed, and maintained to permit visual determination of whether it is fully charged.

(4) Condition, location, and mounting. The fire extinguisher(s) must be filled and located so that it is readily accessible for use. The extinguisher(s) must be securely mounted to prevent sliding, rolling, or vertical movement relative to the motor vehicle.

(5) Extinguishing agents. The fire extinguisher must use an extinguishing agent that does not need protection from freezing. Extinguishing agents must comply with the toxicity provisions of the Environmental Protection Agency's Significant New Alternatives Policy (SNAP) regulations under 40 CFR Part 82, Subpart G.

(6) Exception. This paragraph (a) does not apply to the driven unit in a driveaway-towaway operation.

(b) Spare fuses. Power units for which fuses are needed to operate any required parts and accessories must have at least one spare fuse for each type/size of fuse needed for those parts and accessories.

(c)-(e) [Reserved]

(f) Warning devices for stopped vehicles. Except as provided in paragraph (g) of this section, one of the following options must be used:

(1) Three bidirectional emergency reflective triangles that conform to the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 125, § 571.125 of this title; or

(2) At least 6 fusees or 3 liquid-burning flares. The vehicle must have as many additional fusees or liquid-burning flares as are necessary to satisfy the requirements of §392.22.

(3) Other warning devices may be used in addition to, but not in lieu of, the required warning devices, provided those warning devices do not decrease the effectiveness of the required warning devices.

(g) Restrictions on the use of flame-producing devices. Liquid-burning flares, fusees, oil lanterns, or any signal produced by a flame shall not be carried on any commercial motor vehicle transporting Division 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 (explosives) hazardous materials; any cargo tank motor vehicle used for the transportation of Division 2.1 (flammable gas) or Class 3 (flammable liquid) hazardous materials whether loaded or empty; or any commercial motor vehicle using compressed gas as a motor fuel.

(h)-(i) [Reserved]

(j) Requirements for fusees and liquid-burning flares. Each fusee shall be capable of burning for 30 minutes, and each liquid-burning flare shall contain enough fuel to burn continuously for at least 60 minutes. Fusees and liquid-burning flares shall conform to the requirements of Underwriters Laboratories, Inc., UL No. 912, Highway Emergency Signals, Fourth Edition, July 30, 1979, (with an amendment dated November 9, 1981). (See §393.7(c) for information on the incorporation by reference and availability of this document.) Each fusee and liquid-burning flare shall be marked with the UL symbol in accordance with the requirements of UL 912.

(k) Requirements for red flags. Red flags shall be not less than 12 inches square, with standards adequate to maintain the flags in an upright position.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter

In another thread you stated you knew everything. I'm very dissappointed in you:rolleyes:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I got pulled into the rest area on Hwy 23 south of Columbus, OH about 4:30 wed am. The DOT man got out and immediatley told me that the reason he pulled me in was because I was a straight truck. I just chuckled and told him that wasn't the first time for that! lol. He laughed and told me that the last guy (t/t) got out of the truck cussing. I got the feeling he was just gauging my reaction with the straight truck comment.

We did an inspection. A couple of minor things that I knew they could cite me for got mysteriously overlooked (never mentioned). We laughed and cut up a little and he talked about how the last guy wasn't in such a good mood after his inspection. He gave me my little yeller sticker and away I went :)