Watch Out Panther Fleet Drivers

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So your telling us Panther told you that they were panthers favorite fleet owners?

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I trusted them they are panther's favorites

It seems to me you're not hearing what everyone is saying. You have to accept the responsibility of not working with a contract. No one forced you to work without it. It's doesn't matter if the owner was a favorite of whoever - YOU are responsible to make sure you have a working agreement. That way you have something to go back on. Most small claim courts will honor them liberally.

Try and LEARN from this. Don't blame anyone.
:confused:

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I trusted them they are panther's favorites

Wait is there a posted Panther Favorites list somewhere? I have been here for several years and i haven't seen one. Face it if any of this is true it is your fault not Panthers you didn't go to work for Panther. You went to work for the (lmao) Favorite one. As far as any legal remedy for you from Panther it doesn't exist each favorite and non favorite owners are not Panther employees so there isn't much they can do about it. You worked for another owner and you had problems getting paid huh. Well i have heard those stories from drivers and when you talk to them after a few mins they start talking about the advances that they got and now there isn't any pay and they blame the owner. I am not a fleet owner i own just my own truck and it is people like you that can slam someone while you remain nameless. In this case you slammed Panther and yes i did notice you had no problem naming them but not the person that you claim screwed you.
Solve your problem step up and buy your own van drive for yourself and see how long it takes you to fire yourself

wimpy007

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
US Army
Possibley a fleet owner or even EO could offer a SAMPLE of what a driver contract should look like. Maybe this would help some driver. Just a thought.:)

fortwayne

Not a Member
When I hear of people going to work for a fleet owner without a contract it makes me wonder a few different things.

First, you would think the fleet owner would want one as well, a contract would of course protect him as well.........but,

it also makes me wonder if a person (the driver) would go to work, say at a McDonalds' without filling out tax forms, an application, and gosh darn it wouldn't you at least make sure you punch in on the time clock to make sure you get paid?

The same holds true for a contract in this business.

It is bad that there are some fleet owners out there that will take advantage of a absent minded 'warm' body.....and its a shame some of those fleet owners bounce from carrier to carrier.

But, its a shame one can not admit his own ignorance, learn from it and move on, making **** sure that what happened in the past will not happen to him again.

transporter

Expert Expediter
mamaduck you show nothing but immaturity by calling fleet owner panther favorites. and blaming panther. you should have not started with this fleet owner until you had contract.
Making excuses she was on vacation, or panther has so called favorite fleet owners shows you are not a profesional.
when a fleet owner comes to your house and reclaims his truck it is not called theft. Its called cutting his losses.
it is time for you to grow-up or get out of expediting. most everybody here on eo have made mistakes myself included and have learned from it but you havent learned anything yet you just blame others

Reactions: 1 person

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I bet you won't drive for anyone else without a lease. It's better to have lease in place, that way you know where you both stand if you part ways down the road. It's nothing personal it's just smart business.

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
:eek:After reading this it really pi$$es me off to hear this..after four long hard years of working my tail off ..I thought I was their favorite..and come to find out someone else is and its not Scuba or Bruno....this is bad..really bad..or maybe I am still the favorite one and you were driving for me..but I dont thinks so..who knows I been to busy to keep up with things..:D

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
For anyone and everyone who reads this thread, you MUST have a written contract with anyone you drive for. Also, it is unfair to identify this with Panther. There are bad owners everywhere and it can just as easily happen with company X/Y/Z/1/2/3. That is why you must have a written contract.

But LDB..its so much easier to blame Panther than to take responsibility for your own actions...pass tha blame on to someone else and try to gain pity for you mistakes.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
:eek:After reading this it really pi$$es me off to hear this..after four long hard years of working my tail off ..I thought I was their favorite..and come to find out someone else is and its not Scuba or Bruno....this is bad..really bad..or maybe I am still the favorite one and you were driving for me..but I dont thinks so..who knows I been to busy to keep up with things..:D

Now that is funny. Thats what Fleet Managers are for. Chris posting on here only makes Panther look bad. Why even respond to to such claims.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I agree Dave, Chris and Panther can not and should not get involved. It is a situation between a sub-contractor and fleet owner. All Panther can do is just sit there and listen and should without getting into trouble. Their legal counsel should be asked what procedures should be followed in THIS TYPE OF SITUATION and EVERYONE should be instructed to heed that advice from managers to dispatchers.

I'm glad I see the word Contract being used, all my ranting is finally paying off.

NOW here is my advice, get some legal advice, and some tax advice. IF you can write off the losses, and try to recoup the loss later on in court or if the owner settles up with you, then great.

BUT next time, I would get a contract FIRST and have someone (read --> lawyer) go over it with YOU and explain it to you. DO NOT run without a CONTRACT, DO NOT assume that you are just a driver, you are a business person and as such need to treat this as a business.

--> ALWAYS HAVE AN WAY OUT <-- if you are stuck more than 14 days without a vehicle, find someone else. If you are stuck with a poor company who loads you once a week, fnd someone else.

IF the owner plays the Secret Contract game (they won't give it to you to read first) --> walk away

IF they don't have one --> walk away

Write everything down when you talk to any owner. Repeat some of the key things, pay rate, who pays for fuel and so on, and keep it when you read the contract.

When you work, KEEP all receipts, ask for duplicates if you need to --> CYA!!

I think that the FMCSA rules about lease contracts apply, a lawyer can determine that but I have heard that one lawyer used376.12 - Written lease requirements as a way to tell the owner that they must provide a lease for review.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Having a contract applies to both fleet owners AND carriers. NEVER lease to a carrier that does NOT have a contract. I don't know if there is any, just keep it in mind. NO CONTRACT NO WORK!!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Panther even went so far as to go over this very subject in orientation. They told us up front they do not tend to get directly involved in owner driver disputes. They did say if an owner gets repeated complaints they have gone as far as to remove them from the fleet. They also said if it seems appropriate they will help the driver find a different ride.

Greg I am not sure how much your ranting has to do with the word contract being used in this discussion. Most people with any common sense would get a contract without reading posts on here but as humans most of us do want to trust by nature.

I do have to say when an owner comes and recovers their van from your driveway and uses the term rent makes me wonder how much actual paid driving someone did with the van in their possesion.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Xiggi,
In the past I have been told I was full of sh*t when I brought the subject up, been told that owners don't need contracts and been told that drivers shouldn't need one - all either in posts or PMs and even emails. I have not heard too many (count them on one hand) be consistent about contracts nor care to post to remind people to have one. Yes ranting for a while, a long while and now it is being repeated where it wasn't so I am convinced I had a little to do with it.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
You think by now Mamaduck knows she should have had a Contract examined by a competent Attorney?.