Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
. . . he might throw a few hints to us little people]:rolleyes:

I didn't know you were part of the family. :rolleyes:

Little-people-big.jpg

Kat123

Seasoned Expediter
I will say The Golden Lugnut always gives everyone something to think about, as JJoerger found a website that is exactly what Lugnut has made on his own obviously to improve his capacity for freight.

I can't figure out why there are people on this forum that always seem to shoot down someone's ideas right away or say you don't give us enough info to answer your question and then there's the standard reply of "Read back 6 mo. to a year for your answer".

Does the trucking and expediting business have that many secrets that new comers have to pay their dues in order to make a go of it?

IMO many people on here maybe really don't know the answer to some of the questions asked and like to make poke fun at, criticize, and just be rude to people. I find it sad, that's why I don't comment or ask questions here....I do visit once in awhile though.

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
Will I’m guessing this is as good as I will get to the question. Thanks jjoerger for your no.

Yes Jack to the load bars. Now you can count yourself at the top of your class. Or can you? Crap, I just made another cheap shot.

The system uses clips that hook into the current horizontal etrac on your cargo box walls which in turn, the clips hold 5 foot sections of etrac vertically. With the clipped in etrac you can then move the load bars up and down vertically as needed. There is an optional screw bar that allows you to transfer pressure placed on the load bars (As Jack deduced) directly to the deck. The screw bars are simple and strong with a flat u-shaped piece that fits the underside of the load bar and the other end has is 3”x4” 1/8” plate with a thin rubber pad. I have found that placing a little up pressure on the screw bars prior to cargo loading works better that trying to adjust the screw bars after the skids are loaded. The vertical pieces of etrac also have small plates weld at the ends so as not dig the wood or scar your deck. The clips do require a knock with a hammer to seat them and also to
remove them.

Have had two occasions where the quintessential fork lift driver has pushed a pallet along the wall and caught the vertical etrac and bent it. I have had no success straitening etrac, so just have to replace if it happens.

Crap, now you want to know where I found the above, right. Nah, you don’t want any more work.

Oh, could I make a cheap shot like… nana nana boo boo stick your head in doo doo. No... Not me, not the way you guys serve up the love.

Really, you guys make it funnier every day we are in trucking.

HEY jjoerger not the same system, but I like the MaxiLoda. Wonder what the system weight rate is?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The system uses clips that hook into the current horizontal etrac on your cargo box walls which in turn, the clips hold 5 foot sections of etrac vertically. With the clipped in etrac you can then move the load bars up and down vertically as needed. There is an optional screw bar that allows you to transfer pressure placed on the load bars (As Jack deduced) directly to the deck. The screw bars are simple and strong with a flat u-shaped piece that fits the underside of the load bar and the other end has is 3”x4” 1/8” plate with a thin rubber pad. I have found that placing a little up pressure on the screw bars prior to cargo loading works better that trying to adjust the screw bars after the skids are loaded. The vertical pieces of etrac also have small plates weld at the ends so as not dig the wood or scar your deck. The clips do require a knock with a hammer to seat them and also to
remove them.

Have had two occasions where the quintessential fork lift driver has pushed a pallet along the wall and caught the vertical etrac and bent it. I have had no success straitening etrac, so just have to replace if it happens.

Thanks for the info. If you'd posted this instead of having your hissy fit the thread wouldn't have degenerated the way it did.

I've thrown a couple of light skids on load bars a couple of times, but haven't done any major decking. What you're doing is interesting. I'd ask about a link or where you got it, but...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Lugnut wrote:

Really, you guys make it funnier every day we are in trucking.

Hey didya hear the one about......?!?!? Just keep up with the 2 drink minimum and we get funnier as the night goes on!! :D:p

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
lol, you got it quick...i fixed it as soon as i posted it....

it must be the 14 hrs 845 miles i drove today!!!! :D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Lugnut

Yes I have done a lot of loads using my shoring bars and plywood decking. I would never even consider a load bar for this.

Because my box is setup to take some weight on the etrack, I ran into a problem where I was in the process of decking a load and the dumba** forklift driver dropped a pallet on the plywood and damaged my shoring bars and etrack. Since then I used extensions that go right to the floor to support the shoring bars - they are designed to take up to 5000 lbs each and can be part of a three layer system. I also use bar sleeves made of aluminum to use my straps because the metal ones were giving me fits in the cold.

Some time ago I mentioned this in a thread with a description how I have it setup. Since then I have gotten better at getting 18 pallets in a 14 foot space.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Personally I will stick with what will fit on my floor. If the customer has more than what will fit on my truck there are two options. 1: leave what wont fit for another truck or 2: call my carrier and order a tractor. Those are the ONLY options. There are good reasons for this stance and are as follows.
~ high center of gravity that comes with decking freight
~ the need to carry and store extra equipment/weight for the random load that may come along
~ taking more risk of a forklift driver causing damage to my truck
~ taking more risk that the freight will get damaged in transit
~ carriers are more and more doing away with the practice of decking
~more skids doesn't mean more money, I don't get paid by the piece I get paid by the mile

Work smarter not harder, if it doesn't fit on the floor it would mean more work.
So is there a "super trucker" badge that comes with fitting more skids, or is it just for bragging rights and for the "look at me look at me" that comes with it? One thing to remember is a pat on the back is only inches away from a kick in the a$$.

Oh and so I'm "allowed" to post in this thread my answer to the question is NO :)

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Personally I will stick with what will fit on my floor. If the customer has more than what will fit on my truck there are two options. 1: leave what wont fit for another truck or 2: call my carrier and order a tractor. Those are the ONLY options. There are good reasons for this stance and are as follows.
~ high center of gravity that comes with decking freight
~ the need to carry and store extra equipment/weight for the random load that may come along
~ taking more risk of a forklift driver causing damage to my truck
~ taking more risk that the freight will get damaged in transit
~ carriers are more and more doing away with the practice of decking
~more skids doesn't mean more money, I don't get paid by the piece I get paid by the mile

Work smarter not harder, if it doesn't fit on the floor it would mean more work.
So is there a "super trucker" badge that comes with fitting more skids, or is it just for bragging rights and for the "look at me look at me" that comes with it? One thing to remember is a pat on the back is only inches away from a kick in the a$$.

Oh and so I'm "allowed" to post in this thread my answer to the question is NO :)

The economy is making people do different things....
Sprinters trying to take more and more straight truck loads, Straight trucks trying to take tractor loads...

some could call it innovation
some would call it stupidity...

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I was thinking about double stacking freight last night and came to some of the conclusions that Slacktide posted.
Plus:
I do not believe my carrier would allow it.
I do not think the walls of my box were designed for this type of loading.
I could just see a fork lift driver putting a skid through my translucent roof. (They tear up my floor and e track enough as it is.)
I can already take 12 skids. 13 if they are 48 x 40.
We have only had our 24 foot box full once. It took four people to close the doors. Total weight was less than 5000 pounds. It was a load of plastic fuel tanks for Jet Ski's.
I don't think any extra money would be worth the additional problems that could occur.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dude, the question is, are you using a pallet stacking system? I can count your response as no.

Ah, let me get this right, I ask a question and I get questions. The question was legitimate, clear and concise. A yes or no shouldn’t be much to ask, don’t you think?

The question was clear and concise until you added two extra paragraphs after the question. Kinda reminds me of the "Best Expediting Company" thread from a few weeks ago. If you really wanted a Yes/No answer you should have posted one of those E.O. poll thingies.

To answer your question, NO. I drive a cargo van and have no need for a pallet stacking system. When I was bedbugging I used vertical E-track and decking often. I do have vertical E-track in my van, but it is on the floor.

My question to you Mr. Lugnut: What is the inside floor length of your box from nose to rear door(s) in feet and inches? If you prefer to answer with a question try something along this line: Alex, what is 250 inches?

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
Greg, one reason I started this thread was to get the opinion from those who are using some sort of method for handling more than their deck capacity of freight as to what they feel is a safe weight per pallet for the method they use. We have set a max limit of 600 lbs. per off the deck pallet. What weight limits have you chosen?

For those who cannot handle the physics of carrying extra pallets off the deck because of thoughts like “high center of gravity that comes with decking freight”; Can those who do carry extra pallets ask the obvious questions. Have you never had freight loaded that utilized the entire capacity of your box, front to rear, and deck to ceiling? Was it tippy, high center of gravity?

A recent run we had that was hand loaded utilizing our total capacity in both weight and space was indeed tippy, high center of gravity. Safely driving the load because it had a high center of gravity was never an issue; we train to not spin out on curves with top heavy loads.

And now folks, to the cheap shot of the day as quoted from Slacktide; “So is there a "super trucker" badge that comes with fitting more skids, or is it just for bragging rights and for the "look at me look at me" that comes with it?” Lugnut says, “Nope, but we can give you a pacifier to go with those milk run loads you get”.
Oh yeah, almost forgot Moot, it’s a 22’ box, but only offer 240” inches to clients.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
"one reason I started this thread was to get the opinion from those who are using some sort of method for handling more than their deck capacity of freight as to what they feel is a safe weight per pallet for the method they use."

Really?

"The question was legitimate, clear and concise. A yes or no shouldn’t be much to ask, don’t you think?"

I though you just wanted yes or no answers.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Don't forget this poster and slacktide got into a tirade in the thread where the drivers were asking for help with their deadbeat owner forcing the moderator to close the thread. Some like to think they have the bully pulpit.

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
"one reason I started this thread was to get the opinion from those who are using some sort of method for handling more than their deck capacity of freight as to what they feel is a safe weight per pallet for the method they use."

Really?

"The question was legitimate, clear and concise. A yes or no shouldn’t be much to ask, don’t you think?"

I though you just wanted yes or no answers.

Yes and yes. zzzzzz.....