Was 9 Pallets - Now hauling 15

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Keep the personal comments out of it...stick to the facts without personal commentary and all is ok...a "heated" debate can be exhilerating....LOL...:D

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
"For those who cannot handle the physics of carrying extra pallets off the deck because of thoughts like “high center of gravity that comes with decking freight”; Can those who do carry extra pallets ask the obvious questions. Have you never had freight loaded that utilized the entire capacity of your box, front to rear, and deck to ceiling? Was it tippy, high center of gravity?"

Indeed I have hauled to capacity regarding weight (13,000) and floor space/vertically. Was it decked skids....no. Was it tippy, not so much as to make it unsafe.

"Safely driving the load because it had a high center of gravity was never an issue; we train to not spin out on curves with top heavy loads."

Top heavy loads can be handled safely providing proper care is taken while transporting. The more one has done it the easier it becomes. There is always the unexpected that can and will eventually show up, ie: heavy cross winds, some fool about to miss their exit and cutting you off, wildlife appearing in front of you to name a few.
IMO there is a higher probability that decked loads will shift causing damage to the freight and or equipment. Therefor I will not deck. And am supported by my carrier in this by their discouragement/not allowing us to do so due to increased liability.

"And now folks, to the cheap shot of the day as quoted from Slacktide; “So is there a "super trucker" badge that comes with fitting more skids, or is it just for bragging rights and for the "look at me look at me" that comes with it?” Lugnut says, “Nope, but we can give you a pacifier to go with those milk run loads you get”."

Milk run loads? Who said anything about milk? Are you thirsty? or wanting cerial? No I will pass on the offer of the pacifier. In reading your posts in just this thread alone you seem to need it more. Now had you offered a ladle for gravey loads I may have taken you up on that. :D

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Don't forget this poster and slacktide got into a tirade in the thread where the drivers were asking for help with their deadbeat owner forcing the moderator to close the thread. Some like to think they have the bully pulpit.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

MissKat, I believe you are a bit mistaken about lugnut and I getting into a tirade forcing the thread to get shut down. You may want to revisit the Fedex C.C thread that you are refering to. I commented only twice in that thread and neither ,IMO, can be concidered a "tirade". There was lengthy discussion between lugnut and another member that was the impetus of the thread being closed down by Jack.

As for me being a bully or using EO as a bully pulpit, especially in that particular thread or any other. I would enjoy seeing or hearing how you have come to that conclusion. Please feel free to PM me if you would rather.

I have partaken in a number of discussions here on EO providing knowledge I have gained along the way or giving my opinion on a given subject. I have also kept conversations from PM's just that Private and not brought any of those to the public forum.

I look forward to hearing from you, be it here or via pm. :D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
...one reason I started this thread was to get the opinion from those who are using some sort of method for handling more than their deck capacity of freight as to what they feel is a safe weight per pallet for the method they use.
As it is quite impossible to gleen any kind of opinion whatsoever from a YES/NO answer to the question posed, the above stated reason appears disingenuous at best. It would appear that the thread was started to compile a list of YES/NO drivers who do and do not use some kind of decking system, so that at some later date and time one could then solicit opinions of their system either publicly or privately. The reason people answered the question, and the accompanying comments, with questions or comments of their own is because that's how threaded message boards where people can reply to forum postings actually work. So you shouldn't be shocked, surprised or mad because things worked out that way.

Ah, let me get this right, I ask a question and I get questions. The question was legitimate, clear and concise. A yes or no shouldn’t be much to ask, don’t you think?
No, it's not much to ask at all, if you were asking it in a poll which requires a YES/NO answer with no comments required, except in this case you opened that door with comments of your own along with the question. Of course, raw anonymous answers in a poll won't give you that list to follow up on. You'd still need people to post replies under the poll in order to obtain much in the way of opinion.

For those who cannot handle the physics of carrying extra pallets off the deck because of thoughts like “high center of gravity that comes with decking freight”....

...we train to not spin out on curves with top heavy loads.
Considering the physics involved in a high center of gravity is not conducive to, and would tend to even prevent spinning out on curves (gravity, friction, angular momentum, inertia), and is more conducive to tipping over on curves, I'm curious... how would one train to not spin out on curves with top heavy loads? It's a legitimate question.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm curious... how would one train to not spin out on curves with top heavy loads? It's a legitimate question.
Load up that Krautmobile and practice the Spinout On Curves Reaction Drill.

I remember practicing the Spinout On Curves Reaction Drill with my late friend Jack. We rented a Sprinter and in stalled a decking system using clips that hooked into the horizontal E-track on walls, which in turn, the clips hold 5 foot sections of E-track vertically. With the clipped in E-track we could then move the load bars up and down vertically as needed.

We loaded the Sprinter with boxes of lampshades, installed the decking and then loaded 8500 pounds of lead blankets, the kind you get from the X-ray technician so your sperm doesn't get barbequed when getting X-rayed. We never made it to the first curve. The walls of the Sprinter bowed in, the decking failed, and the lampshades got crushed. Worthless German junk!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The system uses clips that hook into the current horizontal etrac on your cargo box walls which in turn, the clips hold 5 foot sections of etrac vertically. With the clipped in etrac you can then move the load bars up and down vertically as needed.

Lugnut, do you have any pictures, a brand name or a link to this system? Seems to me it would be a whole lot simpler to just install vertical E-track in strategic points along the walls.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh yeah, almost forgot Moot, it’s a 22’ box, but only offer 240” inches to clients.

The reason I asked about the floor length is the odd number of pallets you mention in this post. With approximately 2 extra feet to play with, you should be able to park the pallet jack in a pallet and still be able to close the door(s).

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When I first came to FedEX I double Decked a 53ft Hyundia Trailer that had a lift gate to get a load on. 22 sheets of plywood it was done and load on.
Needless to say we did get paid way more for the load and we saved the customer money. On another truck.
Everyone was happy. some times it good.
That load paid 3.50 a mile all miles.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Plus:
I do not believe my carrier would allow it.

Sure they do, your carrier was the one who insisted that it was possible and I do it the first load I decked. I understand it is still practiced.

I do not think the walls of my box were designed for this type of loading.

This is why I use stands that sit on the floor under the shoring bar, they support a lot of the weight on the shoring bars and decking.

I could just see a fork lift driver putting a skid through my translucent roof. (They tear up my floor and e track enough as it is.)

Well if they tear up the floor, hold them to paying for it, but you are there when they load the truck, tell them not to mess it up.

I don't think any extra money would be worth the additional problems that could occur.

I don't know... I got twice the rate to haul the last load I had decked - $3.50 a mile, all miles.

Greg, one reason I started this thread was to get the opinion from those who are using some sort of method for handling more than their deck capacity of freight as to what they feel is a safe weight per pallet for the method they use. We have set a max limit of 600 lbs. per off the deck pallet. What weight limits have you chosen?

My shoring bars are rated for 2500, the etrack is rated for 1000 lbs of vertical weight per anchor point so I try to keep about 500 per pallet with three shoring bars underneath them - about 300lbs per anchor point. The stands add an additional 500 per pallet (rated at 4000lbs) with three being used every two shoring bars - so there is a total of 800 lbs per pallet I can put up there.

I also make sure that the light pallets are on the top and the heavy ones on the bottom, but if there are all the same weight, I make sure I use more straps on the top with them tied down to the shoring bars, not just the walls.

For those who cannot handle the physics of carrying extra pallets off the deck because of thoughts like “high center of gravity that comes with decking freight”; Can those who do carry extra pallets ask the obvious questions. Have you never had freight loaded that utilized the entire capacity of your box, front to rear, and deck to ceiling? Was it tippy, high center of gravity?

Well I don't get where everyone thinks the center of gravity shifts a lot, it really doesn't. It is like driving with stacked pallets and nothing more. If one would actually calculate the CG point, maybe there would be 8 inches of difference, if that. If you keep your tanks full and have other "accessories" on the frame, then it wouldn't be as much of a shift. The problem may be people expect it to handle like a car or an empty truck, it won't.

A recent run we had that was hand loaded utilizing our total capacity in both weight and space was indeed tippy, high center of gravity. Safely driving the load because it had a high center of gravity was never an issue; we train to not spin out on curves with top heavy loads.

Agreed.

And now folks, to the cheap shot of the day as quoted from Slacktide; “So is there a "super trucker" badge that comes with fitting more skids, or is it just for bragging rights and for the "look at me look at me" that comes with it?” Lugnut says, “Nope, but we can give you a pacifier to go with those milk run loads you get”.
Oh yeah, almost forgot Moot, it’s a 22’ box, but only offer 240” inches to clients.

I don't know about all of that, but it seems if I had 22 feet of space, I would be make lots of money ... on the other hand many who are company drivers don't see what's always going on or how they can make money in other ways by thinking outside the box.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
This has been going on for years and been posted on about the same amount of times. Where do people think all those van loads disappear from in laredo?:eek:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I remember posting on this years ago and some were bent on it not being "true expedite". Mainly because it wasn't "exclusive use". The load gets an exclusive pallet next to another exclusive shipment that pays a expedite rate.
I then declared it a "exclusive load". :D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I remember posting on this years ago and some were bent on it not being "true expedite". Mainly because it wasn't "exclusive use". The load gets an exclusive pallet next to another exclusive shipment that pays a expedite rate.
I then declared it a "exclusive load". :D

Exclusive use...one load/one truck would suck to be locked into...especially these days of somewhat depressed rates...those doubles and triples sure have a way of bumping up the average rate....

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
Turtle, turtle, turtle…

Choice A; How can you say I’m disingenuous? I’m trying to live up to every cheap shot I make, I’m crushed you feel I have failed in doing so.

Choice B; How can you say I’m disingenuous? Original thread question; Cargo hauling question; are any of you with straight trucks using a pallet stacking system? Also a follow up question Mister President if I may; “an opinion from those who are using some sort of method for handling more than their deck capacity of freight as to what they feel is a safe weight per pallet for the method they use.”

Thanks Greg for your answer to the weight per pallet question.

Are we having fun yet?
===========================================
Moot, we carry an interesting amount of gear that takes up most of the front 2 feet out of the 22’ box, thus the pallet jack is usually hanging out in the tenth spot on the deck.

No pictures, no links. Though I’ll see what I can put together for you.
That’s it for today. Busy week coming, thanks for the fun!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The weight per pallet on decking depends on the rating of your shoring devices.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Choice A; How can you say I’m disingenuous? I’m trying to live up to every cheap shot I make, I’m crushed you feel I have failed in doing so.
I didn't way you were. I was very careful about that in my wording, as I don't really know your intentions or motives. I said the stated reason (which you stated, true enough, and thus you) appears disingenuous, which leaves room for doubt.

As for Choice B, it's a little late to be rewriting current history considering what was stated in Post #3.

Are we having fun yet?
Always. :D

No pictures, no links. Though I’ll see what I can put together for you.
That would be awesome. Can't have too many pictures to look at when trying to come up with ideas.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
The reason I asked about the floor length is the odd number of pallets you mention in this post. With approximately 2 extra feet to play with, you should be able to park the pallet jack in a pallet and still be able to close the door(s).

Duh.......never thunk of that.

Sorry folks it's raining today and i'm stuck inside.

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
Here is a pic of part of the etrac, bars and clips. Let the fun begin.

As a person once said “a picture is worth a thousand words”. Another person said try holding up a picture of the word “help” when you’re drowning. One word can make a difference.

Attachments

• Stack photo.jpg
    Stack photo.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 24