Wal-Mart, and Prescriptions on the Road

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
I'm dying to know who everyone uses for a nationwide pharmacy.

My darling bride takes a few regular prescriptions. For whatever reason, the dolts at Wally World cannot seem to get their pharmacies to work in concert with each other. Also a little tired of being treated like we live under a bridge ("We see that you had a scrip filled in Sacramento last month, but you live in Michigan. Now you're in South Carolina. Why is that?" I dunno, maybe we're travelling state-to-state peddling individual tubes of low-grade topical steroidal ointment.

I've thought about Walgreen's, but wonder about nearby truck parking, and also wonder if their nationwide network is any better.

I've also thought about making sure we are home exactly every 90 days to make sure we have ample supplies for the next 90. I just don't like to be tied down, schedule-wise, on anything but a run.

I'd love to hear what others who are similarly situated do.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We use Wal-Mart and deal with it. It IS a pain. For mine I am on the 90 day thing, they come in the mail. I plan truck work, doctor visits etc around that. We TRY to have Mrs. Layoutshooters on the same time. Works out MOST of the time.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
I use the mail order gig for my Januvia. I got my first one filled at Rite Aid and then transferred to Medco so it was filled well before the original ran out. This way I stay 20 pills ahead of the game.

I have neighbors who are RV Retirees, they use Walgreen's, and say they have never had a problem with their out of state refills. Maybe try them?

I have found WalMart pharmacy aggravating even locally.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use Walgreens and have no problems. You can run into parking issues, but when that happens I just wait until I get to one where I can park. Doesn't happen often. I wanted to use WalMart, but they said I had to gives 24 hours notice on refills and that just won't work.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Walmart is a pain because of their system of having to import your script from the last store it was filled....when you have 3 or 4 different scripts they end up all over the country especially if not filled in sync....the store only imports the file needed and leaves the rest behind....what really helps is to tell them what store it was last filled in and they don't have to search the system...

Other then that...there is no problem...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use the mail order gig for my Januvia. I got my first one filled at Rite Aid and then transferred to Medco so it was filled well before the original ran out. This way I stay 20 pills ahead of the game.

I have neighbors who are RV Retirees, they use Walgreen's, and say they have never had a problem with their out of state refills. Maybe try them?

I have found WalMart pharmacy aggravating even locally.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

My goodness...my wife gets hers from Canada...half the price...

charlies1gal

Seasoned Expediter
I too use Walgreens Pharmacy & have no problems. As far as parking, 9 times out of 10 there are shopping centers either next door or across the street, but we can usually get our straight truck behind the Walgreens itself with no problem & their Nationwide Computer\ phone system is Great!!!!!!! I've used them for years!!:)

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I dont have any prescriptions to fill but I have found most Walgreens stores to have a large enough lot that I can get the ST in it. I wouldnt worry about parking.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I use Walgreens and have no problems. You can run into parking issues, but when that happens I just wait until I get to one where I can park. Doesn't happen often. I wanted to use WalMart, but they said I had to gives 24 hours notice on refills and that just won't work.
I started to switch to WG for their interstate connectivity until I found out their price. They don`t match WM 4$ list and my script was going to cost $77. Whoops, back to Wally World. With a 90 day supply its not too hard to get refills when at home. Occasionally it is necessary to have WM call the home pharmacy. Just takes a little longer.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well there are a few things about walmart that people need to understand.

First each store deals with the local drug distribution centers themselves, the reason for the transfers of scripts.

Second in dealing with the local drug distribution centers, they also negotiate the pricing and stocking of off list drugs, like certain statins and BP meds. These are the drugs that are not on their $10 list.

Third, Sams club is the same way.

This doesn't happen with CVS or Walgreens because they are run by the company more or less.

I learned this because I had to get my statin paying the same price as I do here and I paid out of pocket (it was cheaper than my co-pay). Well I stopped in the local Denver sams club and went round and round with the pharmacist who wanted me to pay $130 for 90 pills - she showed me the process and what she would pay, which was a bit more than $130. I had mine filled here and they sent it next day to a denver FedEx/kinkos and I picked it up there all for $15.

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
i use wal mart.... sometimes its a pain sometimes not....
guess sometimes have to put up with a few glinche's when being a roadie and all ...

i take blood pressure meds.. is about it.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Thanks, peeps.

We have some decisions to make. If I or the Missus never talks to a Pharmacy clerk again, that would be lovely.

I appreciate everyone's responses.

Again, EO works for me.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
We've used Sam's Clubs all over the country. Give them the empty container from the last refill, it has all the information they need. You still get Walmart prices and we've never had a problem.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I use WalMart as Plan B - Costco is cheaper, [it pays to check prices between the major retailers] and you don't need a membership to use the pharmacy. :)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
We've used Sam's Clubs all over the country. Give them the empty container from the last refill, it has all the information they need. You still get Walmart prices and we've never had a problem.

Yup..you don't need a membership to use Sam's Club pharmacy either...

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Yup..you don't need a membership to use Sam's Club pharmacy either...

I don't use meds, but I wonder... How do you do that without a membership? They don't let you in at the door without a Sam's card.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App