Waitin' for the snow!

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Washington as well as Oregon require 1 extra set to be used as a drag chain. Those that don't know what that is it's for chaining the outside rear tire on the trailer. If you run doubles or triples in Oregon they want a drag for both trailers.
Why? It helps keep the trailer straight while braking expecially down hill. Trust me it works. I think Washington now requires chains for each drive axle.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I know it was true at one time and believe it still is that the state of Washington requires you to carry a spare set of tire chains. So, in that state, OnSpot chains may be legal but you can still be cited for not having spare chains if you do not have spare chains. In that state, OnSpot chains alone are not enough.

So, would a 2nd set of OnSpot discs, in a tool box, full fill Phils philosophy?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Wow dude...I'm sitting at a Walmart now. That is like awesome dude.

Thinkin I'll grab some popcorn too :D

I just got back from a local Wally World with ordering new glasses. Thought I would save some money. $550 later, I did not save any money.:rolleyes:

Well they added a set in Wa. It used to be 1 extra, now it's two extra chains.

But I might ad nothing required under 10K.

Last edited:

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We are talking about winter driving which is why I said that others would be doing 30mph, it has nothing to do with running in regular weather.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Oh, so you are saying some vehicles traveling at 70 vs others at 55 is safer than vehicles traveling 30 and 15.
I cant wait for this response.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
So, would a 2nd set of OnSpot discs, in a tool box, full fill Phils philosophy?

It is not my philosophy. The WA DOT would be the one to answer your question. My GUESS would be yes, a second set of OnSpot disks would fulfill the requirement since the OnSpots themselves are legal as the first set, but that is only a guess.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is not my philosophy. The WA DOT would be the one to answer your question. My GUESS would be yes, a second set of OnSpot disks would fulfill the requirement since the OnSpots themselves are legal as the first set, but that is only a guess.

On the legal side yes WSDOT would be best to get the answer from.

I guess if what you write isnt your philosophy, my bad.

Oh, FYI:
[h=2]phi·los·o·phy[/h] 
noun, plural phi·los·o·phies
the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Washington as well as Oregon require 1 extra set to be used as a drag chain. Those that don't know what that is it's for chaining the outside rear tire on the trailer. If you run doubles or triples in Oregon they want a drag for both trailers.
Why? It helps keep the trailer straight while braking expecially down hill. Trust me it works. I think Washington now requires chains for each drive axle.

It gets tricky. Most expediters use lift axles. That is not a DRIVE axle as it is not driven by anything. I could see troopers expecting a drag chain on a lift, but haven't proven it one way or another.
I alluded to this last week when I said one pair of on-spots is not enough to satisfy all states. I knew spares were required.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
It gets tricky. Most expediters use lift axles. That is not a DRIVE axle as it is not driven by anything. I could see troopers expecting a drag chain on a lift, but haven't proven it one way or another.
I alluded to this last week when I said one pair of on-spots is not enough to satisfy all states. I knew spares were required.

That's not tricky at all. Washington truckers use drop axles on all vehicles grossing 90# or more. Drive axle is a drive axle period, drop axle doesn't have anything to do with chains. Not all expediters are straight trucks there are TT so don't know what your deal is with the lift gate. Straight truck with one drive gets three chains. One extra to replace a broken one. Simple as that.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
That's not tricky at all. Washington truckers use drop axles on all vehicles grossing 90# or more. Drive axle is a drive axle period, drop axle doesn't have anything to do with chains. Not all expediters are straight trucks there are TT so don't know what your deal is with the lift gate. Straight truck with one drive gets three chains. One extra to replace a broken one. Simple as that.

When I referred to lift, it was lift axle,not lift gate.
Wouldn't a straight get two on the drive axle,and two spares ?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
When I referred to lift, it was lift axle,not lift gate.
Wouldn't a straight get two on the drive axle,and two spares ?

It would be two chains yes and a spare. Wa wants an extra incase a link breaks. A lot of guys carry chain repair kits with them. If your in the Mountains daily a repair kit comes in handy. Wa, Or, Ca Dot boys don't play and they will fine w/o batting an eye. If you crash and block a pass and it's your fault they can pull your Wa permit or Tag. Places like White pass which is only 5,000' is only two lanes. If you crash and block it your toast. It's the main hwy from Yakima to south of Olympia I-5.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
It would be TWO chains and TWO spares.
I talked to a Walmart tractor driver with Super-Singles. They carry SIX chains for the tractor.

petercar

Active Expediter
They make em about 20 mins from the TA in Seymour,In.
They have a vendor a few miles away that will install them.
I highly recommend this option as any parts are minutes away.
If you stop by ahead of time they have a pit at the factory and and will measure you for the right brackets.

thanks for the heads up

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
This a great discussion about chains....BUT...has anyone used Autosocks...has anyone else heard of them?

They installed chains on one axle of tractor in 20 minutes, removed them and slipped on Autosocks on the same axle in .59 seconds...removing them is even easier than installing them.

in some cases the Autosock out preformed the chains and can be reused and machine washed!

Check em out people!...it's hard to believe they work so well.

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
This a great discussion about chains....BUT...has anyone used Autosocks...has anyone else heard of them?

They installed chains on one axle of tractor in 20 minutes, removed them and slipped on Autosocks on the same axle in .59 seconds...removing them is even easier than installing them.

in some cases the Autosock out preformed the chains and can be reused and machine washed!

Check em out people!...it's hard to believe they work so well.

They are not approved for all the states with chain laws, yet. They seem to get great reviews and have the advantage of being attached to the tire. The biggest complaint seems to be that they do not last long enough.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I know you guys are talkin about chains but what im doing to prepare for the snow or actually salt is spraying frame rails and other metal on the truck with A product called FLUID FILM A rust and corrosion inhibitor this stuff is hard to find here in the south but I understand you yankees can find it pretty easy. I have been using it around the house for stuff that stays out all year and it works great I apply it once A year also use it on the back up generator that sits outside. I think it will probably work good on the apu ac condenser.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I know you guys are talkin about chains but what im doing to prepare for the snow or actually salt is spraying frame rails and other metal on the truck with A product called FLUID FILM A rust and corrosion inhibitor this stuff is hard to find here in the south but I understand you yankees can find it pretty easy. I have been using it around the house for stuff that stays out all year and it works great I apply it once A year also use it on the back up generator that sits outside. I think it will probably work good on the apu ac condenser.
Where do find it. I would like to use some on the Cargomax.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Around here Napa is the only place that carries it it's also online I'm told it's in most auto parts stores up north you should google FLUID FILM so you know what the can looks like.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Just looked at their website. In one place they talk about how well is stays on the metal. Another place they talk about how easy it is to remove. Which is it from your experience? Would I need to recoat after a pressure wash?