Waitin' for the snow!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
If the auto-chains don't provide the needed level of added traction,why would they be legal in all those states?

Have you not seen the stupidity of government before? Some lying sales rep walked in for a meeting and showed how the system works and some foolish person that has never done the job and has no knowledge of how tire chains work gave it his stamp of approval. This may or may not have also resulted in a bribe/campaign donation as is customary when getting a product approved.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I don't believe the weight added is much more than the set of chains we already carry. Further, we run wide singles. No 'inside tire' to worry about.

I would say the weight added is about equal to chains but it is considerable for something that provides little benefit and adds danger.

I've never installed chains.....don't know how, and have no desire to learn. Like jjoerger, mine are in bags, and will remain that way. Matter of fact, so are the set for the duals we used to run. I'll probably save weight switching over. We're under no illusion regarding senses of secuirty. I grew up not far from where you live, and am pretty confident in our winter driving skills. Even with insta-chains or on-spots installed, if we're not comfortable, the truck isn't budging.

Lastly, the boss is a she.

My chains are still in the bags as well and are likely to remain there unless I need them to get out of something. I would put the chains on if required by law and it was safe but if there is much risk I will be parked, there are just to many drivers that don't know when to slow down.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I doubt these auto-chain makers have a big-enough lobby group to influence policy.
They also tell you they only provide so much help.
In the bigger storms I'm gonna re-route or sit it out. In the easier chain required situations you'll see a lot sitting it out and the confident drivers driving single file at a reasonable speed. We all just want to safely make it over the hill.
An old timer told me he had auto-chains so he could make it to the truckstop to park.
If people are likely to close the highway by spinning out, my freight and I need to be parked safely.
I worry more about poor visibility than I do traction. If I can't see,I'm not guessing.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I doubt these auto-chain makers have a big-enough lobby group to influence policy.
They also tell you they only provide so much help.
In the bigger storms I'm gonna re-route or sit it out. In the easier chain required situations you'll see a lot sitting it out and the confident drivers driving single file at a reasonable speed. We all just want to safely make it over the hill.
An old timer told me he had auto-chains so he could make it to the truckstop to park.
If people are likely to close the highway by spinning out, my freight and I need to be parked safely.
I worry more about poor visibility than I do traction. If I can't see,I'm not guessing.

It is only small time state reps that they need to be influenced so no lobby group is needed, just a few bucks from a company will get the votes needed. I can see where the auto chains could get you out of a parking lot that hasn't been plowed but I see no value when moving faster than 5-10mph. Poor visibility is the biggest issue since being able to stop only has value if you know that you need to stop.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Pallud. You state that you believe the auto-chains give " very little,if any,improvement in traction."
Do you have any first hand experience with them ?
If just an assumption,on what do you base your assumption ?

Last edited:

MissKat

Expert Expediter
I was 23 when I got my FL Chauffeurs license. 110 lbs, 1963 longnose KW, three stick, Cummins. Then cabovers. And wreckers. Then kids. Mount Eagle was awful. West Virginia mostly two lane. Everyone smoked Camels, Lucky Strikes, Marlboro and Kools.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Miss Kat: agree with the others that your perspective and experience is greatly valued here.
Also that it's safer to sit out the hazardous roads, if possible. I trust my driving skills, but it's the idiots I may not be able to avoid running into [or who will run into me] that scare me much more than road conditions.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Pallud. You state that you believe the auto-chains give " very little,if any,improvement in traction."
Do you have any first hand experience with them ?
If just an assumption,on what do you base your assumption ?

I have not used them before because I saw how they operated and are advertised. When you chain a tire you tighten the chains down to make them one unit with the tire. This is done in part to keep the chain from slinging around and damaging the truck but it is also done to prevent the chain from sliding out from under the tire. It also allows you to offset the chain on the next tire so that you can maintain continuous contact with the road and improve traction. Neither of these can be done with automatic chains which greatly reduces traction. This will cause braking and traction issues which will cause sporadic control issues and create trouble instead of prevent it.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Before I notify these manufacturers that put them on school buses,fire trucks,and ambulances around the world,of the hazard they are creating,I'll put a shoutout to anyone that may have first hand experience.

HEY,ANYONE EVER USE AUTO-CHAINS ?

If so,what were your real world experiences ?

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
I have not used them before because I saw how they operated and are advertised. When you chain a tire you tighten the chains down to make them one unit with the tire. This is done in part to keep the chain from slinging around and damaging the truck but it is also done to prevent the chain from sliding out from under the tire. It also allows you to offset the chain on the next tire so that you can maintain continuous contact with the road and improve traction. Neither of these can be done with automatic chains which greatly reduces traction. This will cause braking and traction issues which will cause sporadic control issues and create trouble instead of prevent it.

So in other words, no.

"add danger"? Please prove what you mean.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Let's remember,they are "traction aids."
Not chains. Not marketed to wreckers and snow-plows.
By the time you really need chains on the highway,they're going to close the highway anyway.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
So in other words, no.

"add danger"? Please prove what you mean.

No, I have not used them but zorry asked what I based my assumption on so I answered it.

The added danger comes from the idea that they put forward that automatic chains are equivalent to tire chains. Danger also comes from the fact that you will have to deal with constant changes in control beyond normal winter driving.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Let's remember,they are "traction aids."
Not chains. Not marketed to wreckers and snow-plows.
By the time you really need chains on the highway,they're going to close the highway anyway.

They are marketed as being equivalent to tire chains to drivers and to the states that then decided to change a law that now says they are qualified for chain laws. If you know they aren't as good as chains why are you questioning my statement they provide little to no benefit. Even with tire chains on you still have gained limited ability.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Added safety comes when I can flip a switch as conditions change and the chain- carrying guy is trying to get to a safe area to pull-off and install chains.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm more concerned about the lack of driving experience of all these new drivers the schools are turning out

zorry

Veteran Expediter
They are marketed as being equivalent to tire chains to drivers and to the states that then decided to change a law that now says they are qualified for chain laws. If you know they aren't as good as chains why are you questioning my statement they provide little to no benefit. Even with tire chains on you still have gained limited ability.

There is a big difference between "not being chains" to " providing little to no benefit."

If there was no benefit the Ca dot wouuld not allow me to use them. They do not want the highway shut down.

They must provide enough help to get us over the highways safely.

If you have an extreme need for traction,like a wrecker or plow, then use chains. We do not have that extreme need. We just need some added help.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Added safety comes when I can flip a switch as conditions change and the chain- carrying guy is trying to get to a safe area to pull-off and install chains.

I'm sure it is safer to be inside a truck rather than standing on the side of the interstate, let me know what kind of chains the guy that pulls you out of the ditch uses.:D J/K I am simply expressing my opinion on them and how I see them operate, obviously we are all entitled to use what works for us. Whether you use automatic chains or tire chains I'm sure we can agree pulling over is the best bet when it gets that bad.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I was 23 when I got my FL Chauffeurs license. 110 lbs, 1963 longnose KW, three stick, Cummins. Then cabovers. And wreckers. Then kids. Mount Eagle was awful. West Virginia mostly two lane. Everyone smoked Camels, Lucky Strikes, Marlboro and Kools.

And you look so young!!:cool:

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
Other than putting chains on a 1958 Chevy about 45 years ago I have never chained up a truck but this is how I would do it. Put a block under each inside tire and drive onto it then chain up. Drive off and re-tighten. Pick up wood and go.

Last edited: