Waitin' for the snow!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Interesting ! I have been OTR for just a few years and have only chained up 3 times...and being from Michigan, I thought those 3 times were unnecessary. Conditions really were not "that bad" .

Exactly! Diane and I have been on the road 9 years and have only chained up two or three times and there was no need to do it then either; at least no need that was evident to us.

Once over Donner, they made us chain up when the sun was shining and the road was wet. There was not a flake of snow on the road. It was wet pavement shoulder to shoulder. And it's not like the DOT did not know what was going on. When chains are required on Donner, the DOT has all kinds of people on the ground there. Chains required for wet roads ... what's up with that?

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
Ateam: same experience here. As a new driver I was really worried about chaining. I practiced on a dry lot out in Salt Lake City, even posting pictures here on e/o for critique and advice. When the big event happened, it was a disappointment.

I guess we should revel in our preparedness ! Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Did anyone really say they are not as effective as real chains

OR

Did they say they are as effective up to X inches ?
BTW ,I think my sales pitch was six inches.

Paullud talks of fireman and municipalities complaining of their ineffectiveness. Has he provided links to such testomonials ? Maybe he's just buying the sales pitch from a real chain company.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Paullud talks of fireman and municipalities complaining of their ineffectiveness. Has he provided links to such testomonials ? Maybe he's just buying the sales pitch from a real chain company.

I have tried a few different ways on Google to come up with complaints about automatic chains, and so far I haven't come up with anything.:confused:

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The fact that drivers are sold the idea that they are as good as tire chains but they are only good in relatively shallow snow.

This is how our government works, a bureaucrat that has no experience or special knowledge of a job or device makes laws or approves it. The businesses donate money and then they get special favors and legislation in return, please don't tell me you weren't aware of this before.

As I stated before I have never felt the need to chain up in 4 inches of snow and I don't see any other drivers doing it so as stated they provide little benefit. I do see where they would provide a benefit at docks that are on an incline since the water will run down and freeze where your drive tires would be. As far as the added danger I answered it in the previous question.

Already answered first part. As you get moving faster the centrifical force will start drawing the chain in shorter and give you less traction. The weight of the truck and load will certainly apply force down on the chain to keep it under the tire but there is more weight and momentum pushing the truck forward and off the chain. If you get into a situation where you are braking hard and the wheels start locking up even momentarily with ABS you will no longer have any chain under the tire.

Well the only company I saw advertise how fast the chains deploy claimed it happened in 1.5 seconds, it would take about .5 seconds to realize the problem, and .25 seconds to react which equals 2.25 seconds which if you lost control already is to long. The next obvious issue is that this driver would have to fight the natural instinct of getting the vehicle under control which would be to brake, steer, or let off the throttle so really these would have been the first reactions and then you have to add in even more time for the reaction to engage the chains. The other issue would be that this guy apparently lost control unexpectedly while driving along, if he was going slow enough to engage the chains then all he really needed to do was let off the throttle to get traction back.

Well by what users here have said and what the company says it seems they are only good in a few inches of snow maybe a little more if it is dry powder.

I guess you have never heard of the pile ups in poor visibility then. Use Google to search accidents caused by fog, smoke, poor visibility, etc. there are plenty of them. They are frequently caused by a vehicle moving at a slower rate of speed which causes vehicles behind them to brake and go even slower, pretty soon you have a chain reaction where vehicles in the back almost come to a complete stop. When you have poor visibility and a vehicle that is barely moving being approached by a vehicle that does not see them and on slippery roads it is obvious what will happen.

The proof is in your statements and your reasons for using automatic chains. Everyone seems to acknowledge that they are not as effective as full chains so you know very well that you are using a less effective device which decreases safety and could also put the truck in a situation where the snow is to dense or gets over a few inches deep so the auto chains won't even work. You can't sit there and say the chains give better traction so that is why you use them, you use them because they are easier and don't require you to work.

My point was simply that just having the auto chains does not make you legal as some seem to believe and that they are marketed as being legal and meeting the stringent requirements of chain laws which is very misleading.

I never said anything about your driving skills but it is clear what your concerns are.

I was simply pointing out the truth about why you use auto chains, as stated before they are not better in any way other than you don't have to get out of your truck and you do know they are not as good. I have no problem with you considering my statements to be asinine and would not be insulted by it if you actually showed me how I am wrong. If you simply say this comment is asinine or wrong but have no proof or any counter to it other than because you say so then it is an insult and just proves my point that you have nothing to back up your statement after I gave specific reasons and examples.

I said I researched the possibility of getting them, anytime you research something you can simply search terms like automatic chain problems, complaints, issues, etc. and find websites of people that say a product is junk or people that stand up for it. You have mentioned that you accept the user's opinions here because they have actual experience but I have none so my opinion isn't valid despite the fact mine is based off of a much larger pool of people than the 3 total here. If they work for you that's fine but you know very well you are using a product at the expense of decreasing the safety of yourself and everyone around you so that you don't have to get out of the truck. You have not proven that statement to be wrong and there really is no way to given the facts of the effectiveness of automatic chains vs full chains. Why not try and actually show proof that I am wrong instead of just saying I am wrong?

Well, one thing is for sure, NO PROOF or DOCUMENTATION.

Just a lot of hot air as you continue spout opinion.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Did anyone really say they are not as effective as real chains

OR

Did they say they are as effective up to X inches ?
BTW ,I think my sales pitch was six inches.

Are they capable of doing what full chains can do? The answer is clearly no, therefore they are not as effective. You admit they are only effective in a few inches of wet snow or up to 6 inches in dry powder then turn around and say I'm wrong even though you just finished saying they don't have the same capabilities.

I told you what to search, search automatic tire chain problems. You claimed you researched the product and you are telling me you didn't find complaints, just one more example that shows you stood there and believed what the salesman told you. I wasn't looking to buy chains, I already had them so there was no sales pitch. I was looking at ATD's though and decided to research their claims and look into the regulations and laws.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

zorry

Veteran Expediter
They'll do MORE than regular chains.
They'll get me out of a recessed dock and out of an unplowed fuel island. Things I wouldn't want to chain up to do.
They'll get me thu a chain- check quickly.
They'll get me over Truckee while guys with chains in the bags are waiting for the restriction to be lifted.
Will they get me through a foot of snow ? No. But neither would the bagged chains. I know how to leave them in the bag too.
Out of curiousity I'll google looking for problems. Why not post links of some of the better ones ?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Googled. Found zero problems but read something that's been missed.
How about broken chains causing a breakdown or body damage ?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Well, one thing is for sure, NO PROOF or DOCUMENTATION.

Just a lot of hot air as you continue spout opinion.

There is some opinion but plenty of facts and information from the ATD companies as well. It's pretty clear at this point that you have nothing to back up anything you say or prove what I say is wrong. You haven't even been able to specifically say how I am wrong or counter it in anyway, you just say I'm wrong, my comment is asinine, or hot air.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I have tried a few different ways on Google to come up with complaints about automatic chains, and so far I haven't come up with anything.:confused:

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

Just Google automatic tire chain complaints or problems. The results sometimes bring up the company websites first then there are message boards with disappointed users.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is some opinion but plenty of facts and information from the ATD companies as well. It's pretty clear at this point that you have nothing to back up anything you say or prove what I say is wrong. You haven't even been able to specifically say how I am wrong or counter it in anyway, you just say I'm wrong, my comment is asinine, or hot air.

YAWN.......boring.

Tata.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Well, it has been an interesting thread for sure.

As I mentioned, we used on spots for two years. When they worked, that is, came down into position the way they were supposed to, they are awesome for up to about 4".

Why didn't they work some of the time? Because of sand and grit the states of Oregon and Caliphony put down. If you do not spray off the on spot hubs when you are fueling, 8 out of 10 times they would not release the chains. And you don't know if they actually are down without stopping and looking. The premise is that the chains will swirl in front of the tires and the tires will catch the chains.

We really could not tell a traction difference if we did not look to see that they had come down into working position. However, with full chains you CAN really tell the traction difference because it is virtually guaranteed. But, as ATeam mentioned, they will tear your rubber up if you run on wet pavement rather than snowpack. You will lose at least one set of chains usually on a wet road. The Califoneys think that if you have chains on in the event of black ice (roads that look wet, but are actually skating rinks) it will help you control the vehicle.

In the straight trucks we drove for the Fed, we chained once. It was not worth it. The clearance between the top of the tires and the bottom of the box is too close and if a chain catch is loose, it is loud and WILL tear up the box. Better to park it.

We also drove a w900 from Denver to all points East and West for two years on super singles. PITA to chain, and traction was horrible.

Best of luck to all of you running this winter. Look for my white F250 with my pirate logo and cat paw prints.

Kat

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Not only is Slacktide missing from the T1000 thread but he was excited when I said if you leave a dealer with only one set of auto-chains you are not ready for the real world.

zorry, I was passing on information in the T1000 thread that was concerning a friends truck. Once I met up with them and showed them the thread that was prompting my questions and they signed up I had no dog in the fight. They had never been on EO or any other message board before. If you have never sat with someone that hasn't been on before I highly reccomend it, its a hoot.

As for what you THINK I have said in this thread you may want to read the thread again. This is the first I have posted in this thread. Feel free to refresh my memory and provide a link where I got "excited".

He went MIA when people started asking what vendor or supplier he represented.
You'd think he would comment here. Maybe he's waiting for someone to tell him what to say.

Interesting theory there. I, unlike many here in this thread, have been WORKING. Do you remember what that is? Ya know, turn the key, drive?

BTW, just to keep on topic. I have On Spots on my truck and wouldn't ever be without them on any future truck.

http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/general-expediter-forum/48242-spot-automatic-chains-3.html

post 36

I will add this as well, I do NOT work for any vendors be it truck, refer, auto chain or otherwise. That is more than can be said about one member in the T1000 thread, I'll let you all figure out who he is on your own.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Slack,thanks for the update. I've had three PM's asking who you are,so I thought I'd try to flush you out.
The link to what you posted earlier about on-spots is a must read for anyone that has been interested in this thread.
Your extreme happiness with the Jeff Jones experience seemed suspect to some. I'm happy that he's made you happy. His name comes up often.
Most that I have come across seem to tolerate him because they feel they must deal with him.
I have no horse in this race, having never dealt with him. I just know what I hear.
Is Firsthand just a driver and/or owner ? People seem curious about him also.
As for where you got excited I'll try to find it,possibly Sunday.
I, like you, have been running pretty hard.
Again, thanks for the response. It's good to know you're a real driver and not some phony on here with a hidden agenda.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well my cover has been blown.

I confess, I AM, J.J.

Thats right, I am, J.J.

J.J. is just me.

I'm just mad about J.J.

J.J. maad about meeee.

Oh.................J.J. stands for: ..... just jokin.