Waitin' for the snow!

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
So that's what they look like. Ours are still in the bags they came in and that's where I plan for them to stay.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
DD,after you put them on ,for real,pull up a trucklength or two,and then retighten.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I don't like having to use them either, but ended up putting them on about 4 times last winter. I have found that the more you do it the easier it gets.

But you won't find a more dangerous place on the highway than a chain up area at night.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

zorry

Veteran Expediter
They make em about 20 mins from the TA in Seymour,In.
They have a vendor a few miles away that will install them.
I highly recommend this option as any parts are minutes away.
If you stop by ahead of time they have a pit at the factory and and will measure you for the right brackets.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The boss has advised that we will be getting insta-chains in October.

Why would he want a product that adds weight but gives very little if any improvement in traction? I believe states that make you chain up will want the entire axle chained which the Insta-Chains only go under the inside tire. These are a dangerous item because they will make a driver think he has the traction of a truck that has chained up but clearly they do not.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I'm not sold on the automatic chains either, mainly because of the cost.
But I would love to flip a switch on the dash and have someone else install my chains (at no cost). :D:D

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The beauty of the auto-chains:
Always there and ready. Most people I've talked to use them mainly to get out of recessed docks or parking areas.
Keeps you out of chain-up areas,which as stated earlier,can be very dangerous places.
Visiable to LEO's doing chain-checks. Also don't take up valuable storage space.
Best part is you flip switch staying clean,dry,warm,and safe.
I decided to spend the money after listening to a guy that lost eight fingertips to frostbite caused by chaining-up.
Has anyone sat in Reno area waiting for the chain requirement to come off before going over Truckee? Would you have gone sooner,maybe gained another load,if you had auto-chains ?

Last edited:

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Why would he want a product that adds weight but gives very little if any improvement in traction? I believe states that make you chain up will want the entire axle chained which the Insta-Chains only go under the inside tire. These are a dangerous item because they will make a driver think he has the traction of a truck that has chained up but clearly they do not.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

I don't believe the weight added is much more than the set of chains we already carry. Further, we run wide singles. No 'inside tire' to worry about.

I've never installed chains.....don't know how, and have no desire to learn. Like jjoerger, mine are in bags, and will remain that way. Matter of fact, so are the set for the duals we used to run. I'll probably save weight switching over. We're under no illusion regarding senses of secuirty. I grew up not far from where you live, and am pretty confident in our winter driving skills. Even with insta-chains or on-spots installed, if we're not comfortable, the truck isn't budging.

Lastly, the boss is a she.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If the auto-chains don't provide the needed level of added traction,why would they be legal in all those states?

MissKat

Expert Expediter
We drove with auto-chains, put on in Boring, OR. They are helpful only if the powder is less than 4 inches, helpful pulling about 4% grades and downhills, and getting out of parking lots. You can drive about 40 mph with them down, full chains we did not run over 35. They make a nice Santa Claus sound going down the road. The sleeping driver just loves it. We ran Portland, OR to Reno daily and back hauling GM. Without the auto chains we had to put chains on and off at least 4 times a day, PITA. If 97 and 58 were closed we had to run 140 or the pass from Susanville to Mount Shasta. NOT FUN.

I did most of the driving on chains, while my hubby installed them when we did not have the auto chains. They gave me confidence as our loads only weighed 8-10,000 lbs, not enough weight to make a difference on hard pack.

When we install manual chains, we drape them over the top of the tires, bungee, I pull up the truck, and Kirk rebungees them tight and puts the chainlock in place. WE spraypainted the key flourescent because once it falls in the snow its history. We had two headlamps also, hanging from the post by the drivers side windshield, and safety vests. We yelled a lot at smart....s that would speed by us in the chain up areas blowing mess all over us while chaining. It is better to stop as soon as possible to install than wait and hope there is room for you at the front of the line. Use a fifth wheel puller (those of you in straights may not have these, but they are the best $10 to spend in the winter) to pull tight the chains to bungee. Have some IceMelt on hand. When those hot tires stop on the cold roadside you can become frozen in place.

I do not think auto chains would be very effective on I70, I80 when the snow is blowing and deep. It is not worth the risk.

Hope you aren't too bored by my comments, but I drove Tractor-trailers in Oregon and then across country for the major carriers and doubles as well as straights. It is safer to park it than to get hit by the speedy demons that think they are super duper ice road drivers in a storm. That goes for the home grown idiots in their excursions and the like thinking they are bad... with 4 wheel drive.

When in doubt, wait it out.
Kat

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Not bored at all, Kat. Sorry to say it, but you've been driving since I was in 4th grade. Pretty sure I'm not alone when I say we value your experience.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not bored at all, Kat. Sorry to say it, but you've been driving since I was in 4th grade. Pretty sure I'm not alone when I say we value your experience.

Hmmmm, 4th grade in 1976. In 1976 I was . . . Oh never mind. :eek:

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
A major T/T carrier once asked me if I knew what the chains hanging off the side of the tractor were for. I answered "to balance the battery box on the other side?"

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Ms. Kate is right on. I pulled triples for years in the northwest where three railers are the call of the night. Matter of fact several times a night. Supposed to drop the third trailer in bad weather but sometimes you think you can get through but spin out half way up the hill. In those situations it's a set of singles then a set of three railers over the singles. Double chaining. Anyway automatics on smaller units work fine and are legal everywhere. Oregon and Washington have them on school busses. But like Ms Kate stated in heavy snow not much is good but parking it.