Waitin' for the snow!

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Other than putting chains on a 1958 Chevy about 45 years ago I have never chained up a truck but this is how I would do it. Put a block under each inside tire and drive onto it then chain up. Drive off and re-tighten. Pick up wood and go.

Won't work, as they are dual tire sets covering both inner and outer tires.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
I recall my research on chaining up required only one tire on each side on a single axle, am I wrong on this?.

AS far as the auto chains, I like the idea, especially when one might find themselves in the middle of a circle on ramp (or anywhere for that matter), and when you least expect it, the rears break loose on black ice. I vaguely recall a driver's testimony to this effect and the flip of the switch saved 'em.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Paul: If the automatic feature can put the chains on, can't it tighten them too?
Maybe Caffees will respond, as they have [or had] them.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I recall my research on chaining up required only one tire on each side on a single axle, am I wrong on this?.

AS far as the auto chains, I like the idea, especially when one might find themselves in the middle of a circle on ramp (or anywhere for that matter), and when you least expect it, the rears break loose on black ice. I vaguely recall a driver's testimony to this effect and the flip of the switch saved 'em.

The reaction time of the driver combined with the time it takes to engage would add up to seconds, I hope they wouldn't use that obvious lie as a testimony.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Paul: If the automatic feature can put the chains on, can't it tighten them too?
Maybe Caffees will respond, as they have [or had] them.

No there is no way to tighten them, they consist of several lengths of chains that spin on a wheel next to your tires. Just go to this site and there is a video of them being used. http://www.insta-chain.com/ Notice in this video how they are driving very slowly and in very shallow snow and dry pavement.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If faster,or deeper snow,it'd be hard to see how they work.
When you use them speed should not be a large concern.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
The reaction time of the driver combined with the time it takes to engage would add up to seconds, I hope they wouldn't use that obvious lie as a testimony.

Why would you say that's an obvious lie? Again, based on your experience with them? Or is it because you watched their demonstration video?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
If faster,or deeper snow,it'd be hard to see how they work.
When you use them speed should not be a large concern.

That's exactly my point, they are good for moving around in parking lots that were recently plowed or if there was only a few inches of snow fall. If you are on a public road you have a duty as a responsible citizen and professional driver to be moving at a reasonable speed to prevent accidents. If everyone else is moving at 30mph and you are only able to move at 15mph, that can become a big problem.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If traffic is moving safely at 30 mph,I'll be moving at 30 mph.
If you're filming,you better slow down to be able to see what is happening.
At 30 mph it'd just be a blurr.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The Caffee's,and others,have used them in the last year or two.
I'm out of this until we hear how they really work.
Not how we hope they'll work.
Not how we think they'll work.

Let's hear how they really work.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you are on a public road you have a duty as a responsible citizen and professional driver to be moving at a reasonable speed to prevent accidents. If everyone else is moving at 30mph and you are only able to move at 15mph, that can become a big problem.

Thats exactly what I will tell the CHIP officer when he asks me why I was doing 70 when its posted 55 for trucks.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Did I ever mention that we have automatic chains on our truck ( I know I have ). Well, I got to tell ya, when I slow down like I am pulling over to a chain up area, when I get to 20 or 25mph and push the button, the chains deploy a lot faster than any truck that has to continue to a dead stop to have its chains mounted. I swear its true. Yeppers.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I was thinking a few seconds to react and activate is better than looking for a spot and spending 20-30 minutes hanging iron.
But ,I hear you have heated seats,so if you stop to help a friend chain up you can get comfortable pretty quick.

Does your wife like those seats ?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Thats exactly what I will tell the CHIP officer when he asks me why I was doing 70 when its posted 55 for trucks.

We are talking about winter driving which is why I said that others would be doing 30mph, it has nothing to do with running in regular weather.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Did I ever mention that we have automatic chains on our truck ( I know I have ). Well, I got to tell ya, when I slow down like I am pulling over to a chain up area, when I get to 20 or 25mph and push the button, the chains deploy a lot faster than any truck that has to continue to a dead stop to have its chains mounted. I swear its true. Yeppers.

Well if you consider saving a little time chaining up a great trade off for better traction and safety then that is your choice. I'm sure the families and people driving around you will appreciate your lack of concern. I would add up the time it takes for the limited number of times you actually need to chain up compared to the cost and lost time of once in the ditch.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I've never had automatic chains, but I know they are not as good as conventional chains. I don't know why I know they're not as good...I just know that I know it.

I've never known anyone who had automatic chains either, but I'm sure that if I did know somebody that had them, they would not like them.

Does that sum it up?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I have never had a reefer, but I'm told that if I would have one now and then I would be a lot easier to get along with. I'm also told that they make you hungry.

Last edited: