Waitin' for the snow!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I've never had automatic chains, but I know they are not as good as conventional chains. I don't know why I know they're not as good...I just know that I know it.

I've never known anyone who had automatic chains either, but I'm sure that if I did know somebody that had them, they would not like them.

Does that sum it up?

If you researched the chains a little you can see they are not as effective. On top of that the company admits they are not as effective, well unless they are trying to make a sale or get a law changed. I guess you missed that part when you looked the product over for consideration.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I was actually not being truthful about the chains. I was just making a funny...hehe.

I actually installed a set of automatic chains on my Cargomax. I went to a great deal of trouble getting everything just right. I even had them set so that each side never activated at the same time as the other. This insured that I always had a chain under one side or the other. I felt that this "alternating" type of deployment would increase traction....and it did!

In the end though, there were two major problems with automatic chains. First problem was the "alternating" deployment caused my steering wheel to jerk violently from side to side. Secondly, I realized that I didn't have room on my dash for the button.

I sold the automatic chains to Moot. I'm sure he does not like them.

Last edited:

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Ive never chained up either, Ive driven in lots of snow and bad weather, if the loads going over some mountain pass with steep grades and such and the snow is deeper then the rim of the tire, im usually stopping. Ive been over the Truckee/Donner many times and stalled sitting in Reno AW SHUCKS...er it sucks....and when I saw the size of the snow removal equipment I was happy to be sitting. Looking out the side glass at snow deeper then the roof of the Condo sleeper made me happy to be sitting.
If I were going to go with one or the other Id choose full chains....never done it yet, but they say this winter might be a winner !!!!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have driven on both in the past 12 years including T/T and we both prefer the automatic chains. They are expensive and they are a convenience to us with a lot of side benefits.

We have the OnSpot chain system: Onspot Chain and you can read about them there. The chains are most often seen on school buses, ambulances and fire trucks. The telling thing for me is the school buses in the mountains use automatic chains.

Why we like them:
Not having to pull into the dangerous chain up and remove chain areas
deploying the chains in icy rest areas, customers locations, and icy truck stops
Not waking the person sleeping to help install or remove the chains
Not having the wet muddy clothing brought into the truck from working outside to get the chains on or off
the ability to quickly remove the chains when we are not on ice or snow to save on the wear and tear of our tires

As for the weight.... We have wide base singles and the weight of carrying those chains is no more than the weight of the Onspot chains.

When the snow is deep it is time to find a place to pull over and wait the snow removal equipment from the safety of a non moving vehicle.

Last year I put on a few 100 miles driving at 25 mph top speed with the chains and they performed flawlessly. We took the chains off during summer and are now putting them back on for winter and hoping we do not have to deploy them.... They are an insurance policy as a way to keep our truck and ourselves safe.

DD that is a great idea to practice putting chains on in the summer as in the winter with snow blowing is not the best place to learn.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If the auto-chains don't provide the needed level of added traction,why would they be legal in all those states?

For the same reason that it is illegal to drive a truck over 55 MPH in some states or regions, and that the HOS rules provide a disincentive to take a nap in the middle of your shift. Legislative and bureaucratic logic sometimes defies reason. What the lawmakers and rulemakers believe about tire chains may or may not correspond to what most users of tire chains believe.

I'm not saying that automatic tire chains provide less traction. I'm saying that making that case based on government reasoning is weak.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
For the same reason that it is illegal to drive a truck over 55 MPH in some states or regions, and that the HOS rules provide a disincentive to take a nap in the middle of your shift. Legislative and bureaucratic logic sometimes defies reason. What the lawmakers and rulemakers believe about tire chains may or may not correspond to what most users of tire chains believe.

I'm not saying that automatic tire chains provide less traction. I'm saying that making that case based on government reasoning is weak.

Phil,I'll agree. I should be able to get away with it when I'm debating a guy who feels the chains are dangerous because,from watching a video, he doesn't think they'd be any good. LOL.
BTW,does ATeam use automatic chains ?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Phil,I'll agree. I should be able to get away with it when I'm debating a guy who feels the chains are dangerous because,from watching a video, he doesn't think they'd be any good. LOL.
BTW,does ATeam use automatic chains ?

I did more than watch a video, I said I researched the idea of getting them but found to many issues. They don't even qualify in all states to be run without regular tire chains, so to be legal you need tire chains and automatic chains.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The interesting thing is that in 65+ posts,we've heard from two actual users.
Both highly seasoned,responsible teams.
They both agree they have their limitations. 4 inches of powder is what MissKat felt comfortable with. Interesting that she'd run 40 mph on her auto-chains but usually only 35 on real chains.
The Caffees were very supportive of their use. Again with limitations.
Interesting is the fact the only real detractor has never used them.
I guess I won't trade mine in for real chains. I'll use them this year and have an opinion based on firsthand experience.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I did more than watch a video, I said I researched the idea of getting them but found to many issues. They don't even qualify in all states to be run without regular tire chains, so to be legal you need tire chains and automatic chains.

Which states are you talking about ?

ihamner

Expert Expediter
We love our automatic chains (On Spot). We removed them for the summer and have just had them put back on.

When we drove our D Unit we used them a number of times. One time stands out in my mind. It was when a sudden snow storm hit the Dallas area. The road crews in that area are not really equipped to handle icy roads and trucks were sliding over to the side of the road and accidents were everywhere. We moved along slowly (about 30 MPH) with our chains deployed and we got right through the mess with no problems. I heard a trucker on the CB tell another trucker to look at that Fed Ex truck coming through with those On-Spots - that was a great investment! Another time we were heading over Donner Pass and, suddenly the chain up signs went up. The CA cops glanced under our truck, saw the On-Spots and motioned us on over the mountain.

This is a safety issue for us and are thrilled to have our On-Spots. By the way, the On-Spot company is amazing with making sure everything is exactly as it should be even measuring by inches to get it right.

We don't expect to barrel through a gigantic snow storm but the icy, dangerous winter storms where we can keep moving safely make the automatic chains worth the money.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Which states are you talking about ?

Are you kidding? You don't even know what legal limitations they have but yet you are telling me I must be wrong. That tells me you haven't done any research and just listened to the sales pitch when they said they are legal. Just because something is legal to use doesn't mean it meets all the regulations. In another statement you say my opinion isn't as valid because I haven't used them but the people that do use them know and say they aren't as good, really contradicting yourself. When you start looking for short cuts in the name of safety because you are to lazy, weak, or old to do the job maybe it is time to leave the industry and not risk the safety of others.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I have never had a reefer, but I'm told that if I would have one now and then I would be a lot easier to get along with. I'm also told that they make you hungry.

Not to worry, ALL the Walmart stores stock Twinkies.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I did the research. I do not know of any states where I need chains. You said I do,so verify YOUR statement.

As stated by a previous poster,I am much safer having them ready at the flip of a switch than you will be with chains in a sidebox.

I do not cut corners on safety.
I am not lazy,but getting older and wiser,I enjoy the comforts of modern,labor-saving technology.

You can have your beliefs,but the more you talk......

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I did the research. I do not know of any states where I need chains.

As I stated in another thread, the only state that I know of where you need to carry chains is WA, as they require a backup set.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Are you kidding? You don't even know what legal limitations they have but yet you are telling me I must be wrong. That tells me you haven't done any research and just listened to the sales pitch when they said they are legal. Just because something is legal to use doesn't mean it meets all the regulations. In another statement you say my opinion isn't as valid because I haven't used them but the people that do use them know and say they aren't as good, really contradicting yourself. When you start looking for short cuts in the name of safety because you are to lazy, weak, or old to do the job maybe it is time to leave the industry and not risk the safety of others.

Curious.

Why would ONSPOT lie about this.
Somebody better tell them paullud says they are not legal in every state.
He knows.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Minimum Chain Requirement

All vehicles over 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW) shall carry a minimum of two (2) extra chains for use in the event that road conditions require the use of more chains or in the event that chains in use are broken or otherwise made useless,
WAC 204-24-050 (2) (f).

Seems the State of Washington doesnt think very much about regular chains either.
The law is for ALL kinds of chains.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Curious.

Why would ONSPOT lie about this.
Somebody better tell them paullud says they are not legal in every state.
He knows.

I know it was true at one time and believe it still is that the state of Washington requires you to carry a spare set of tire chains. So, in that state, OnSpot chains may be legal but you can still be cited for not having spare chains if you do not have spare chains. In that state, OnSpot chains alone are not enough.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ahhh, Phil, you should of read my last posting 2 minutes b4 yours.
But, We are 100% correct, AGAIN.