Vans with boxes

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I had an interesting talk with a fellow expediter who claims he can get four full size skids, 48X48 on the floor, not stacked, in his truck. He has a 10 foot box van that is 90 inches wide on the inside.

He also claims he can get four totes in the box with room to spare which I can to but I can't do four full size skids.

So for those who have box vans, can you get four full size skids in your box?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
LOL!! i am with Highway on this!! 90 inches wide does let you put 96 inches of skids in there...no 4 44x48...yeap....as long as he has a flt floor....most 10 boxes are on srw cutaways...all of them i have seen had wheelwells....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So you had a talk with the president's mathematics adviser huh.

Deville

Not a Member
LOL!! i am with Highway on this!! 90 inches wide does let you put 96 inches of skids in there...no 4 44x48...yeap....as long as he has a flt floor....most 10 boxes are on srw cutaways...all of them i have seen had wheelwells....

Not all of them, You can get a full flat floor with a cut-a-way, the box is higher off the body. I've seen them with lift gates too. The bozes come as short as 8 feet & as long as 20ft. The average is 10-12 ft.

As far as box width goes it varies, my experiance was that I've been able to get 4 standard skids in a ten ft box with room for my hand truck & pallet jack at the tail, just barly enough but i can get the door closed.

They are GREAT trucks, gas or Diesel, They run great & have a very nice ride.

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Re: and not all duawith boxes

deville wrote:

Not all of them, You can get a full flat floor with a cut-a-way, the box is higher off the body. I've seen them with lift gates too. The bozes come as short as 8 feet & as long as 20ft. The average is 10-12 ft.

most all those with a flat floor are those with Dual Rear Wheels as are those with liftgates....i made sure i said SRW or Single Rear Wheel.......and not all drw chassis have a flat floor. the wheelhouses are smaller on those that have them, but some do have them....i sold chevy trucks for yrs...and i really can't remeber ever seeing a srw chassis with a flat floor....and a cut-away with a bow longer then 14 ft most often will be a 12,300 gvw chassis and always be a drw......

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
yes they do...but i am thinkin i need that new 6.0 with the 6 sp and the 3:42 on a 9900 gvw srw...stretch that 2 ft put a 16 1/2 ft box on it and have a 4 ft sleeper and 12 ft for 3 skids and close if not right at 3000 ibs of payload,,,,

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Chef,
The problem with that is the 2 foot stretch and the box weight my not give you 3k after all the other stuff is put into the box, morgan or supreme box.

I would like to get an accurate (meaning actual) weight for a unicell 14 and 16 foot box but it seems that either I forget if there were replies to that question or get the standard line it weighs this much. Amazing that the chassies all weigh the same - 55 gallon tank or not, front seat delete or not - all the same.

The 14' 10k truck with a standard tank (dualies) tops out at 6800lb in the Penske trim.

You can get away with sticking a srw wheel on the rear axle to get some weight off of it but after the driver and all the stuff, I think 2500 is a reasonable number.

I have sent off an email to Penske asking them for an accurate curb weight to see how much the 16' weights (those are actually 15' 5" boxes).

By the way, the goof is coming by in the morning and we are going to go off to a place that has 48x48 totes to see if he is right.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I talked to a commerical truck guy at a GMC dealer in Toledo, he said the 9900 gvw srw chassis scales at 5300....that leaves 4600 lb total..i can't see more then 16-1700 lbs in a areocell for the srw 17 ft "outside" diamension box....(unicell will do any length as long as it is in even feet) I think "Empty" it would scale so that a 28-3000 lb payload should be there...

Now as far as the other guy goes, if 2 48x48 skids fit side by side then he can't read a tape measure....:D

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
cd, ya know penske has a lot of 16' drw flat floor trucks at 10k for sale right now, right?

Yes, they do, nice trucks,
but they are missing cruise and tilt. The tilt I can live without, factory setting of wheel is nice, I'd need to add cruise...that's just me
Oh, I should say those were GMC's I think all the Ford's come with tilt and maybe cruise
4300Lbs payload

Deville

Not a Member
You can get the srw 10ft cube with a flat floor.....I don't think you can get 4 skids in there though. The Box is only slightly wider than the cab.

Penske sells alot of these setups, U-haul also resells the same setup when they are done with it.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
i can't see more then 16-1700 lbs in a areocell for the srw 17 ft "outside" diamension box...:D

How does an Areocell compare weight wise against a FRP box.?

Does anybody make a post and sheet box for a SRW chassis?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Chef,
Regardless what the dealers say, GMC people seem to think the only way to get an accurate weight is to weigh it. There are too many factors involved with the weight.

OK UPDATE

40X48s can fit in but not 48X48. It seems he doesn't know the difference - funny though his 'dispatcher' said that he could fit 48X48 too when we called in this morning.

We tried five different sizes;

48X48 - nope
48X40 - yep
50X40 - yep
53X40 - yep
53X48 - nope

All of them were plastic totes, empty, and were 36" high and the ones which fit were loaded.

guido4475

Not a Member
Chef,
Regardless what the dealers say, GMC people seem to think the only way to get an accurate weight is to weigh it. There are too many factors involved with the weight.

OK UPDATE

40X48s can fit in but not 48X48. It seems he doesn't know the difference - funny though his 'dispatcher' said that he could fit 48X48 too when we called in this morning.

We tried five different sizes;

48X48 - nope
48X40 - yep
50X40 - yep
53X40 - yep
53X48 - nope

All of them were plastic totes, empty, and were 36" high and the ones which fit were loaded.

Instead of physically going someplace to figure this out, wouldnt just using a tape measure been alot easier?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
And what, pass up a free breakfast?

I went through the tape measure thing yesterday. I was tired of hearing I was wrong so off to the local auto parts manufacturer.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
You can get the srw 10ft cube with a flat floor.....I don't think you can get 4 skids in there though. The Box is only slightly wider than the cab.

Penske sells alot of these setups, U-haul also resells the same setup when they are done with it.

I trust Penske's service and maintenance alot more than U Haul's Most of the the U-Haul's goto places that are independently owned so they don't care for them as much. I'm not even sure U-Haul has it's own shops? Also, I think there loading floors are lower, for me this makes a difference since I can backup a Penske cube to the dock and most of the time the plate will lower into it :)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't buy a uHaul for this work or anything beyond the need of a storage truck. They have pretty poor record on maintenance and some of those trucks are so beaten. Beside they have a longer fleet life than other companies.

Penske and ryder I have had great luck with, but I am still bothered by showing up in a yellow truck - never got over that.

15' penske 2007 gmc chassis with 6.0l $7500

transporter

Expert Expediter
4 48 by 48 no
i have 15 ft'er no wheel wells
can do 3 48 by 48
6 48 by 40
5 45 by 45 technically 6 but getting last skid on and off can be a problem so only do 5 45's

greg334

Veteran Expediter
transporter,
do you stagger the 48x48s?

Do you have a sleeper in it or do you have all 15 feet for cargo?