Vans park with the big trucks at the FJ

oceanlover62

Seasoned Expediter
All expedite van drivers were asked to move by the manager to the bobtail section with the big trucks,along the scale at the Flying J in Evansdale,Iowa. Apparently our lil ol vans was taking up too much space for the people who spend their money at the restaurant. Since we all left the parking spaces have been bare.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
the KC, MO J has had this policy for a few yrs. During the day it doesn't seem to be a problem but at night they will ask you to move IF their is room back withy the Bobtails....they say that its more about their employees walking from the back lot at night

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
This J has been like this for awhile now..I was asked to move last year...it is a small lot to begin with...I go across the street to MacD's or up to the RoadRanger when there...There is no reason for us to be at that J....other then old habits..

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I ask for their name and write it down. Most of the time they ask me why and I tell them that when they tell me where to park, they take responsibility for any and all damage that happens to my vehicle - exactly what my lawyer told me to tell them.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I ask for their name and write it down. Most of the time they ask me why and I tell them that when they tell me where to park, they take responsibility for any and all damage that happens to my vehicle - exactly what my lawyer told me to tell them.

I don't think i'd make a difference really...you are still on private property and "somewhere" there are signs that they take NO responsibilty..

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"Why do you want to know my name?"

"Because when you tell me where to park, then you assume responsibility for any and all damage to my vehicle."

"Ok, then. In that case, you can park anywhere you want to, as long as it's not on this property. Have a nice day."

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So now you people are asked to park out back, fine, fine. Lately it seems that the truckstops are only interested in their bottom line I can give them that, however truckstops were they not dreamt up to provide truckers a safe, secure place to park?
The Flying J is getting tough, but, IMHO if they are going to begrudge us a safe, secure place to park, I'll take my business elsewhere. It's as easy as that. When we pull into a WalMart, and there are NO TRUCK signs everywhere, I go in and ask to speak to the manager, show him our truck, tell them we are they to do shopping, and inquire if it's ok to park there? Nine times out of 10 we get the go ahead. The dollar still carrys some weight. use it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
yep some signs say no trucks and some say no semis...of which I am neither...I've but once been asked to move at a Walmart in all my time...Why are people so attracted to the J's anyhow? Some will DH 70 miles to a J.. It would be cheaper to just buy a shower with that DH...

JBCarroll

Seasoned Expediter
Its been my experience at all truck stops even Flying J that if you park far enough out and not in the resturant parking that the staff will leave you alone. I've never been ask to leave at any Wal-Marts of K-Marts yet either
Stay away from the doors so their 4 wheeler customers can get close and their all happy.
To many folks seem to think they need to be parked right next to the resturants / bathrooms. Park farther out and get some exersize.

fortwayne

Not a Member
All the major TS are getting the same way and that is - four wheel customers first, inventory second, take a smoke break third, take a lunch break fourth, take out the trash fifth and oh then finally servicing the truck driver customer.

I try not to buy ANTYHING from any of them. I get my fuel and that is it. I take my showers and use the rest room and I am done doing business with them.

If I can find a Wal-Mart or rest area I prefer that arrangement better if its just for a short 'sleep over.'

If I could figure out a way to run the truck on solar, wind or electric I would do that and all the major TS could be nothing more than a big rest room stop.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I use the J for the shower coupons. They are the only one with a van friendly option. By buying fuel 15 gallons at a time I get an effective 36 cents per gallon discount on my gasoline. That's 33 cents per gallon for the shower and 3 cents a gallon for the drink. I won't dh long distances for one but use them whenever possible. The money talks too loudly not to.

guido4475

Not a Member
Its been my experience at all truck stops even Flying J that if you park far enough out and not in the resturant parking that the staff will leave you alone. I've never been ask to leave at any Wal-Marts of K-Marts yet either
Stay away from the doors so their 4 wheeler customers can get close and their all happy.
To many folks seem to think they need to be parked right next to the resturants / bathrooms. Park farther out and get some exersize.

That what gets me, the van guys that have to park right in front of the windows at the J and just sit there on the computer or reading the newspaper.Why? Lack of courtesy? Bad food? Diarhea? Lazy? No wonder we are asked to leave.I mean, c'mon, how much easier can this get?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That what gets me, the van guys that have to park right in front of the windows at the J and just sit there on the computer or reading the newspaper.Why? Lack of courtesy? Bad food? Diarhea? Lazy? No wonder we are asked to leave.I mean, c'mon, how much easier can this get?

Yes I've seen vans park almost right on the front door? Duh?
No wonder we are getting picked on more often....some are pushing the limit. Just because you are a customer is only woth so much, not unlimited rights.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
At many places, if you're not close to the building, the wifi won't work.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I use the J for the shower coupons. They are the only one with a van friendly option. By buying fuel 15 gallons at a time I get an effective 36 cents per gallon discount on my gasoline. That's 33 cents per gallon for the shower and 3 cents a gallon for the drink. I won't dh long distances for one but use them whenever possible. The money talks too loudly not to.
Doesn't TA have a similar program?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
At many places, if you're not close to the building, the wifi won't work.

Fine, that is a valid reason, But some even put up their shades and sleep in front...

This is a point you also should complain to the manager about...they'd sell more subscriptions if they'd turn up the signal..

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Park where they tell you to park even if it means taking the space for big trucks. Put a sign in your window that says, "If you don't like where I parked: Tell the store manager." It is going to be complaints from the big trucks that will bring about any change in policy.

As for Walmart they are getting less truck friendly as they become more yuppie.

eb

guido4475

Not a Member
Fine, that is a valid reason, But some even put up their shades and sleep in front...

This is a point you also should complain to the manager about...they'd sell more subscriptions if they'd turn up the signal..

Park out front? Anybody that does that better pray to God I dont see that.I'll walk by and smack the side of the van and make them jump out of their sleep.Am I being a Peckerhead? **** right, but no more of one that parking in front of the building.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Doesn't TA have a similar program?

Unless it's changed you have to spend $10 in the store or restaurant in addition to the fuel to get the shower and the shower expires in 3 days. At the J you don't have to spend anything above the fuel and have 7 days till it expires. T/A isn't van friendly with their programs.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't blame Walmart in the least..some of them big trucks are really tearing up the lots and breaking up the curbing...and then some slobs leaving their garbage around...