Vans and what are they?

simdog20

Seasoned Expediter
Lets get some input on what u like and why? What is the best deal to get started for getting loads, original cost, maintenance, we got cargo vans sprinter cube vans? So many choices but what to do?

Mike.

simdog20

Seasoned Expediter
yeah but all us newbies can use all the advise we can get and who knows some of these old salty expediters might share more info sometimes it like pulling teeth though.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Anything specific you,wanna know about cargo vans? Most cube vans are over 10k gvw so it will require you to use a log book and scale . A normal sprinter 2500,ford 250 or 350,Chevy 2500 and 3500 will be under the 10k mark and don't have to log. For the people who are new to the business it would be best to drive for a fleet owner to get a feel for the business and its perks before buying a van. The best to start out on and can be bought the cheapest is the Chevy or ford. When buying a van get the biggest and longest you can afford like the 3500 or the 350 extended will be the best. But if your interested in the business do a search on these message boards and you will learn a ton !!

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
yeah but all us newbies can use all the advise we can get and who knows some of these old salty expediters might share more info sometimes it like pulling teeth though.

Good question: If u will go to the search section here u can find miles and miles of data on cargo vans, cost, things to take, safety data, , and more info from hundreds of threads specific to ur question,,there are pics on how to set up ur van and so on. No teeth pulling really, lots of good creative ideas in there. Good luck.................:D

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
!st...Yes this should be in the newbie forum..

2nd...As Clinton would say..."I feel your pain"...I remember as a newbie feeling how difficult it was to get usable answers to my questions..The reason for this is "Variables".

As you mentioned in the original post.."There are so many choices" and that was just for vehicle type. Add in options on that vehicle. Genset, Batteries or both, Espar heater or propane camping heater, Sleeper set up or use entire van..etc etc.

This is why, and it is good advice, newbies are told to read old posts..(there really is a wealth of information..but you do have to hunt and sort and pick what applies to you. And also drive for another owner for a while...Nothing teaches as well as experience..ie school of hard knocks.

I have been doing expediting for 6 years...I am in the process of setting up a new van after downgrading from a straight truck. I am back here online getting that info and it is taking time, research and some hard comprimises to get what I want, can afford and be viable for the business.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
"Ban the van":D

Indeed!

To answer your question Vans and what are they:

Vans are the 4 wheel, 4 letter bottom feeders of the expedite world. The large pustule on the proboscis of the expedite industry. Vans are also the vehicle of choice for perverts, hippies, plumbers, burglars, mobile poodle groomers and government surveillance types.

Ban The Van!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Lets get some input on what u like and why? What is the best deal to get started for getting loads, original cost, maintenance, we got cargo vans sprinter cube vans? So many choices but what to do?

Mike.

Mike,
Don't take this wrong but it is a very broad question that starts with you asking "what do I want to get out of this?"

First thing is your situation comes into play, big time. If you can't afford to buy a van, and have a crap load of bills to pay for, then maybe this is not a good thing for you to get into.

I'm of the opinion that if you can't afford that $5000 van to break into the business, you shouldn't be here at all. My opposition to van fleet owners is clear, and I don't give advice to drive for someone else because you may not make much money even though a number of drivers are.

The after all of that, looking at what you want to do has to do with what company fits you, not how you fit the company. You may do very well with FedEx, or on the other hand you may do great with a small mom and pop and it depends on your objective and attitude.

THEN after all of that, it comes down to two questions;

what does that carrier need?

AND

Is it something I can use somewhere else?

These two matter a lot because you have some flexibility in this market, it sucks being trapped by a company's need and can't be used somewhere else. Believe me I know.

So for example just because Sprinters do great with some operators and with some companies (*** not all of them), does it mean that you will make more money with that initial investment of say $25k plus and the higher maintenance costs, or can you make do with an old Penske 12 foot cutaway van that gets 12 mpg?

There is sometimes a trade-off between getting crappy mileage and getting great mileage, the price in this case is the cost to maintain the vehicle and the bigger cost of repairing it if say the transmission breaks.

Will that vehicle be used if you go from Panther to say Mom and Pop expediters unlimited or will it be just something they won't use a lot or worse yet, will it be something that will only get 50 cent offers?

Lots of things to consider before defining what a van is.

By the way to answer your question, it is considered anything under the 10,001 lb gross vehicle weight and there are many many discussions about weight and capacity around here to learn from.

sluggo

Seasoned Expediter
Indeed!

Vans are the 4 wheel, 4 letter bottom feeders of the expedite world. The large pustule on the proboscis of the expedite industry. Vans are also the vehicle of choice for perverts, hippies, plumbers, burglars, mobile poodle groomers and government surveillance types.

Ban The Van!

Sophomoric, idiotic answers like this are precisely why new drivers are reluctant to post anything or ask anything meaningful. When a person doesn't have an Intelligent answer they resort to insults and pathetic attempts to be amusing.
Broad sweeping statements are a convenient misdirection for that vacuum like hollow sound where creativity and comon sense should be. YES, I'm gettting into the business as a van o/o so anything is helpful is much appreciated. Although, after this post, I doubt I will see very many. It's frustrating when I'm trying to give my family something better and because it makes the most sense for me to start out driving my own van and I'm called(see the above quote) names.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
When a person doesn't have an Intelligent answer they resort to insults and pathetic attempts to be amusing.
I do love a good irony. That's quite an accomplishment for someone who has been here since November. That "vacuum like hollow sound where creativity and comon sense should be," was particularly amusing, because of, you know, irony. You should probably be aware that the person who called you all those "(see the above quote) names" is also a van driver.

When someone new enters a community, be it online or in real life, it's generally the best if they kind of sit back and observe, quietly, and see how things are, before they jump in and start ignorantly insulting established and well respected members of the community. This is especially true for those who are looking for food, as you won't get fed much if you bite the hand that feeds you.

Good luck with that whole expediting thing. You're gonna need it.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Indeed!

Ban The Van!

Really I guess that shows you really hate van drivers ??? no need to meet you Lets ban Moot:D

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It is only Monday Sluggo. Lighten up a little bit. If you are looking to better your family, going out on the road probably isn't the answer. My advice would be to stay home and do something locally. That likely would "better your family".

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Sophomoric, idiotic answers like this are precisely why new drivers are reluctant to post anything or ask anything meaningful. When a person doesn't have an Intelligent answer they resort to insults and pathetic attempts to be amusing.

Sophmore? I believe if you check under Moot's avatar you will see that he is a senior now,and many members of this site,myself included think he is very amusing.

BAN THE VAN

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sophmore? I believe if you check under Moot's avatar you will see that he is a senior now,and many members of this site,myself included think he is very amusing.

BAN THE VAN

I would be one of those members. We're way past due for an episode of "On the Road with Moot Kerouac".

garebel

Seasoned Expediter
the best way i have found to get advice on this site is read,read ,read,,then maybe private emails seem to work well,wheather they drive a van,straight truck or tractor dont matter,some are genuine good people who like to help,,,then you have a few others!!

simdog20

Seasoned Expediter
Thats allright i got thick skin. Just tryen to figure out why people chose what they did and the true cost to run there equipment. It is broad and will be different for everyone but heah would give a guy an idea were to start anyway.

Mike.

simdog20

Seasoned Expediter
okay a new question for u now same topic. If u had 40k would u buy a sprinter outright or say but a cargo van for 10k have 10k in bank and own say 20k worth of shares of microsoft? What would u do and why?

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
okay a new question for u now same topic. If u had 40k would u buy a sprinter outright or say but a cargo van for 10k have 10k in bank and own say 20k worth of shares of microsoft? What would u do and why?

If I had 40K I would buy the biggest sprinter 2500 I could find for around $20k or less. Out fit the van with a small but comfortable sleeper, generator, and tv and small personal quarters and leave 100"+ for cargo. Put back $3k in a checking account for repairs or bad weeks. Put the rest in a savings account or a CD and hit the road. :D