Vans and what are they?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
To take all of your 40k and buy a Sprinter, and then have zero in the bank? That's the classic mistake that far too many getting into this business have made, and all of them paid dearly for it. No matter what, you want a minimum of five thousand in the bank when you start, and that's after you've completely outfitted the van for both hauling freight and for living in it. You can do that if you take your 40k and buy a 30k Sprinter, put five grand in the bank, and use the other five grand to outfit the van and for the first few weeks of operating and living expenses. The worse mistake people make when getting into this business is getting into it without enough money in reserve.

I paid $5000 cash for a cargo van, put another $5000 into if for maintenance to get it ready for the road, and for outfitting it. Drove the van for a while and saved up and put about 75% down on a Sprinter, then had it paid off in a year or so. By then I (sorta) knew what I was doing, how I wanted to outfit the van, and knew where my money was going.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
okay a new question for u now same topic. If u had 40k would u buy a sprinter outright or say but a cargo van for 10k have 10k in bank and own say 20k worth of shares of microsoft? What would u do and why?

If I were just starting out I would put 20k in a good CD or money market account. Spend 7-10k on a GMC or Chevy 3500 long wheel base van with a V8, and put the rest in my checking account to cover expenses while learning.
I would not recommend buying a new Sprinter right off the bat. They are too expensive to use for learning this business. And a lot of people don't last 6 months out here.

sluggo

Seasoned Expediter
It is only Monday Sluggo. Lighten up a little bit. If you are looking to better your family, going out on the road probably isn't the answer. My advice would be to stay home and do something locally. That likely would "better your family".

Perhaps you're right and I should lighten up. But, here is the situation regarding my family's needs. I am a disabled vet and the income is not nearly enough to right the ship. Because of my very checkered employment history(my own doing) it's impossible to get hired anywhere. Driving a van that I own is the best solution I see after 2 years of research while struggling at the same time. My wife is more than fine with it and all the number crunching, being heavy on worst case scenarios, more than doubling my income is a very real outcome. I've been looking at this site for over a year and finally joined in November. Moots comments touched a nerve and I responded poorly. I will attempt to get that right with him. I also appreciate irony and good humor. Knowing what I know now it was pretty funny. What I don't get is you telling me this isn't a good idea knowing nothing about what it would take to better my financial situation. Not trying to be combative at all. It just seemed a little dismissive. My apologies to all who were offended by my tantrum. It had a lot more to do with a number of things rather than just what Moot said. I like this site and forum and you all will find my postings more responsible in the future. Reading his post again, knowing he is a van driver, makes it that much more ironical and funny.

Last edited:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This too shall pass. Moot is a forgiving Deity.

I drove a van for over 8 years and was never really pleased with the money I made. I wouldn't have wanted to support a family on it. There are van folks here who are considered successful that will tell you that having an additional source of income helps in them considering themselves successful. So, if your spouse has a good job you could be a decent source of additional income.

guido4475

Not a Member
Anything specific you,wanna know about cargo vans? Most cube vans are over 10k gvw so it will require you to use a log book and scale . A normal sprinter 2500,ford 250 or 350,Chevy 2500 and 3500 will be under the 10k mark and don't have to log. For the people who are new to the business it would be best to drive for a fleet owner to get a feel for the business and its perks before buying a van. The best to start out on and can be bought the cheapest is the Chevy or ford. When buying a van get the biggest and longest you can afford like the 3500 or the 350 extended will be the best. But if your interested in the business do a search on these message boards and you will learn a ton !!

Bingo. Right on the money advice.Try Ryder used trucks for a decent used van with a warranty.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sluggo, throttle back on the caffeine. Pace yourself.

Sophomoric, idiotic answers like this are precisely why new drivers are reluctant to post anything or ask anything meaningful. When a person doesn't have an Intelligent answer they resort to insults and pathetic attempts to be amusing.
I'll give you the "sophomoric" (although I am a senior as DD noted), "idiotic" and "pathetic attempts to be amusing". But "insults"? How did I insult you? If you are a pervert and don't wish to be lumped in with plumbers and hippies, I apologize.

Broad sweeping statements are a convenient misdirection for that vacuum like hollow sound where creativity and comon sense should be.
You lost me after the third word so I will just deal with "Broad sweeping statements". I thought I was being very specific with my response and description; Vans are the 4 wheel, 4 letter bottom feeders of the expedite world. It was Simdog's question that was broad. I don't believe any experienced vanner would disagree with that statement.

YES, I'm gettting into the business as a van o/o so anything is helpful is much appreciated. Although, after this post, I doubt I will see very many.
The Newbies Forum has a FAQ section full of information. I suggest you, Simdog and other newbies spend a few hours reading through it enabling you to ask more specific questions. Also ebsprintin and Jack Berry have gathered up some van specific threads that can be found in the Truck Forum.

It's frustrating when I'm trying to give my family something better and because it makes the most sense for me to start out driving my own van and I'm called(see the above quote) names.
Before you dive into the expediting thing take some time for personal soul searching and reflection. Ask yourself are you really doing this for the betterment of your family or are you doing it for yourself? The allure of the road is powerful and addictive.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What I don't get is you telling me this isn't a good idea knowing nothing about what it would take to better my financial situation.
Well now we know. Normally I would recommend any job that paid an hourly wage, had some stability and benefits. I know I could not support a family on what I make running a cargo van.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Funny thing is, Moot's reply was not to the OP, but to Dave, as noted in Moot's reply when he quoted Dave. So it's Dave who is to blame. Yeah, Dave! Let's get him! Hey, wait, where's my pitchfork? Didn't anybody bring a shovel, either? Alright, who took the torch? Good grief. How am I supposed to get a decent angry mob together without the torch? Sheesh, people, look alive, use the stuff between yer ears!

I need a nap.

Last edited:

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I have grossed 40k so far this year. I own my own cargo van paid for in cash. My monthly fixed operating expenses are under 300 bucks. With that being said, I have managed to save around 15-16k of that money in the bank after repairs, food, fuel, and other expenses related to this business. I have gotten a lot of hotel rooms and I have spent over 2k in money driving home to California 5 times this year. That is about what you can expect to earn off of your van if you are good with money, have low overhead, a van that is paid for, and stay out between 6-9 weeks at a time. I spend between 6-9 weeks on the road and I have gotten loaded out of california 5 out of five times i've been home.

So, the numbers are 40k gross, you will have like 15-16k net in the bank if you are good with money. It's not really a lot of money considering all of the long nights that I had to fight sleep to drive 1000 mile loads. But it is a good job for someone who has a shoddy worj history or needs extra income. I would not attempt to support a wife and kids on this money. Also, if you add in 600 a month rent and 300 a month utility bills, you can take 10k right out of the money that i've saved and call it 6k net after 40k gross. I only worked 8 months and took approximately 9 weeks off this year, so it was more like 6 months of work. If you work the entire year, you can double that amount and maybe save 30k if you are in the right situation. Those are the numbers for me in my current situation.

I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do. Also, starting in April is a good idea for you as things will begin to pick up a bit more at that time. If you need any advice or info, please send me a PM and i'll be glad to answer any of your questions.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, its all Dave's fault! The only person lower than a van owner is a fleet owner. Flog the fleet owner.

sluggo

Seasoned Expediter
Indeed!

To answer your question Vans and what are they:

Vans are the 4 wheel, 4 letter bottom feeders of the expedite world. The large pustule on the proboscis of the expedite industry. Vans are also the vehicle of choice for perverts, hippies, plumbers, burglars, mobile poodle groomers and government surveillance types.
Ban The Van!

Sir, please accept my sincerest apology for the unwarranted tone in my earlier post. I also enjoy good ole sarcasm, irony, and even a really funny punch in the face. You may find this hard to believe, but I'm probably more like you than not. I hope you catch the tone of humility in this post because THAT I did intend. In the future, I hope we can enjoy friendly jousting without the self righteousness(that was more for me).

Humbly at your service, Steve M.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You will do good sluggo, you live in Michigan. If I lived in Michigan or Ohio, i'd have gotten home at minimum every other weekend, and would have really never had to deadhead home empty cept for over a holiday or something of that nature. You will be able to get home quite often and then be able to wait at home for a load to get you back in the game. If you are say stuck in Cincinatti over the weekend and live in Detroit, it would be cheaper for you to drop 30 bucks to drive home and wait for a load. I do not have that option because my current base of operations is in California. No matter where I am in the country i'm usually around 2000k miles from home. I am gonna move to Michigan next year though so I can get back into the bowels of the midwest! lol.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I accept your apology but there was really no need to apologize. You are certainly not the first person to misunderstand or be offended by one of my posts. I often confuse and insult myself with my posts.

Now that I am aware of your employment situation please disregard my words concerning what I perceived as your reasons for getting into expediting. If this is the only viable way to provide for your family then go for it. Good luck!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You will do good sluggo, you live in Michigan. If I lived in Michigan or Ohio, i'd have gotten home at minimum every other weekend, and would have really never had to deadhead home empty cept for over a holiday or something of that nature.
The problem with living in Michigan or Ohio is that everybody lives in Michigan or Ohio. When you do get home you may have to wait several days to get loaded out. Especially after a holiday.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The problem with living in Michigan or Ohio is that everybody lives in Michigan or Ohio. When you do get home you may have to wait several days to get loaded out. Especially after a holiday.
I have to wait a few days to get out of California too. I never had a problem getting loaded in Detroit with Bolt Express. Even if it was just a short run to get me back out into the game. But sitting at home waiting for a load is better than sitting in a parking lot waiting for one. Also, if you are with the right carrier, they will wait and bid on long loads for you instead of bidding on some 100 mile rinky dink load on a friday afternoon. It's all about what you know and who you know in this business!

simdog20

Seasoned Expediter
greg never said i could not buy. never said could not buy a straight truck or a sprinter. U assume i could not pay the 5000 for a van. no u dont know the situation but from your experiences how would u start out and why? not go back and read for years posts is a good idea. but looking for real life how would u start and why. how much would u save up what would u buy how would u start?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sluggo, I sent you a private message (pm). To access it you must be signed in and then click on the User CP tap in the red area, upper left corner of the main page or click on the blue Private Message tab on the right side under Member Area.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
I have to wait a few days to get out of California too. I never had a problem getting loaded in Detroit with Bolt Express. Even if it was just a short run to get me back out into the game. But sitting at home waiting for a load is better than sitting in a parking lot waiting for one. Also, if you are with the right carrier, they will wait and bid on long loads for you instead of bidding on some 100 mile rinky dink load on a friday afternoon. It's all about what you know and who you know in this business!

like Panther:mad:
Out of the load offers sent in the past 2 months around 80% were short ones under 200 miles. Starting to get old. I like the 300-500 mile runs. Wish I could get one everyday and a big long 1000 mile run for the weekend but that will never happen.