Van or Sprinter

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I'm still having folks call, wondering where they can get a straight answer. Answer is, I don't know anymore.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
OVM wrote:

Too bad me and you didn't meet 20 years ago....we coulda built that better mouse trap together....

Hey you 2 are alive and kickin and both seem to be doin well, so......people are always workin at that better mouse trap, while i don't pretend to know each of your situations, Why not hookup and and get it goin!!? :D

Oh and yea, the customer calls he just wants a truck there when he needs it, if it ain't you it will be someone else.............

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM wrote:

Hey you 2 are alive and kickin and both seem to be doin well, so......people are always workin at that better mouse trap, while i don't pretend to know each of your situations, Why not hookup and and get it goin!!? :D

Oh and yea, the customer calls he just wants a truck there when he needs it, if it ain't you it will be someone else.............

CHEFDennis.... i could say now your COOKIN.. but...the Col is winding down his operation and so am I....We've been to the promised land...now to go beyond...;)

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Hey chef, i'm tired. Done cooked way too many eggs. Time to enjoy eating what I cooked.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
OVM wrote:

We've been to the promised land...now to go beyond...

Col wrote:

Hey chef, i'm tired. Done cooked way too many eggs. Time to enjoy eating what I cooked.

Can't begrudge neither of you that! but soething tells me and I have seen it more then a few ties, successful people rarely stay "retired", the "motivated" get restless and always get the bug to "dabble" in something! Maybe your dabbling could be the " better mouse trap! Why think about the good you could do for mankind! Well at least for the expediting business!!:D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can't speak for the Col..but this ole dog ain't up for the hunt...but it is interesting watching the others that follow...When your not under pressure to make money the loads just come...IF I needed them..I'd prolly be whining too...

nope I wouldn't...I'd be trying to find somthin to fill in the gaps...

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
I am saddened whenever a grizzled veteran hangs up his spikes. The accumulated wisdom, intuitive skills and experience are not easily transferred to the youngsters. Despite Herculean efforts by a great teacher, something is always lost in the translation. Sometimes, semantics get in the way. Sometimes, it's folks operating with blinders on... resulting in tunnel vision. The great gift of experince is bought at a dear price. Too bad it can't be had like manna from Heaven.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
aristotle wrote:

I am saddened whenever a grizzled veteran hangs up his spikes. The accumulated wisdom, intuitive skills and experience are not easily transferred to the youngsters. Despite Herculean efforts by a great teacher, something is always lost in the translation. Sometimes, semantics get in the way. Sometimes, it's folks operating with blinders on... resulting in tunnel vision. The great gift of experince is bought at a dear price. Too bad it can't be had like manna from Heaven.

I can absolutely agree with that! Experience and wisdom are always paid for with a high price, and even when freely shared, most just don't partake, thats ashame.

As for the manna from haven, He certainly did provide for us all, but he also gave each of us the free will to make the pertennent decisions that he hoped would honor us and him. Those with the successful experience here have certainly used his gift to honor him as well as themselves when they share it!

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
My friend, you have NO idea what it is like to try to get "outa" box shaped ideas into a round hole. It is truly madening.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Col wrote:

you have NO idea what it is like to try to get "outa" box shaped ideas into a round hole. It is truly madening.

LOL, while I am certain you are right, my mentality and demeanor would try to force the issue with a "Bigger Hammer!!!"":D And we all know just how that works!!!:rolleyes:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Col wrote:

LOL, while I am certain you are right, my mentality and demeanor would try to force the issue with a "Bigger Hammer!!!"":D And we all know just how that works!!!:rolleyes:

hahaha...gotta love a guy who can admit to his flaws in public...not like some of us "perfect people".....:rolleyes:

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Ya I know OVM. Been there done that. But, hard to get that Ranger outa my system. All in all, it seemed such a waste to see (what coulda been) talent go to waste.

theBeemer

Not a Member
If more people had the healthy attitude you have about this business, they also could be successful. Many that enter here won't or can't wait quarterly to see how tings a shaking out. Many tink it may be their salvation toward that million dollah plan to pull them up by the bootstraps. Won't happen. Many get outa 'big trucks" to screw the pooch and make their life easier. (easy comes with a cost) Many are boneheaded to the point that they "don't wanna" do a lot of tings they just, flat, gotta do to get by. As an example, if a person is qualified to, and good at driving a big truck, why in the world are they not driving a big truck in the expediting business, steada cargo van. Makes no sense to me. Lotsa factors that make up success and, or failure, an actually my fingers are getting sore typing about them over the years. The ones that are going to be mediocre or fail in this business are still going to be that way no matter what. It's just a mindset. Simple.

Mr XO6COL,
O great wise sage I bow down to you and your great wit,brillance,enlightenment. That screw duh pooch was one of the most brillant comments I have heard in 46 years..My God where did you come up with that one? Gee Im such a bonehead I got a 100 percent on time/98 percent safety/90 percent acceptance..network with 10 others daily..but O wise one tell what secrets lies in the hallows of your brillance?
And yes I have a class A and thought I would try something different after talking to the brillance like you out there and what I have been reading on here. I was lead to believe you could actually support yourself.
I gave Mr. L at the kitty my word I would stick out two more weeks..well one week is almost gone and finally got a run for 1100 miles..Yes they will pull it off me.
No million dolla plan just wanted to work another five years..
Gee I wonder what I or anyone else did to come even so close to be so pompous and arrogant to you as you were to me? Who do you think you are? Are you that way every one you meet? I hope you are someday someones going to kock you down a peg or two. I was not rude,crude, or obnoxious to anyone like you were to me. What did I do to you to make you be that way to me?
Sure would love to meet you face to face sometime.. I am in P van, Ford E350, white.Big guy with a beard walk with a limp sometimes..When you see me look me up. We can talk about how great you are,and everything else.. Just ask are you the Beemer if you think its me.

Last edited:

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Well Beemer, I gotta admit there wuz nothing at all typed with your handle preceding it. Those are observations. However, IF any of the shoes fit you........

I don't run around in those circles any longer, so our opportunity to have a chance meeting is pretty slim, I will keep your invitation in mind tho.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Beemer, I have had the pleasure of meeting exactly 2 people from this board face to face and neither of them were you or Col, so please don't think i am taking his side or yours here when i say that, your post seems pretty defensive.........

As col said, no where was your name in his post and it seemed that he was speaking generally and that his post was directed to me, at least the 1st sentence would indicate that.

Now , you can take this anyway you like. I know 1st hand that people can see things in the writings on the internet that just aren't there. The written word does not show the way we speak when we are face to face or when we simply enteract in person, there is no emotion in the written word, WE decide how someone is saying something, and we can be totally wrong. So with that said, I take no offense with your position that no one should get into this business based on your experiences, none of us do business the same way and none of us get the same results. Sure some will be in the same boat at times, but how long each is there is also different. You say you are doing all of the right things and it just ain't workin, others are slow, yet others aren't. Well Maybe it is all about attitude...

Again, I can only read your words here, but not too much has come across as positive but alot has been defensive and hostle....is that how you approach your business since it has slowed down?? You might not even realize it... but when we get stressed and things aren't going as we would have them, we can easily turn to the negative in all of our dealings with whatever it is we are stressed over....Business is bad, everything and everyone involved with is are just a bunch od PITA's....Not so buddy, not so...but when we are stressed, we can easily feel that way, we are all capable of doing it....

Things are slow for some, that is a fact, what are you doing to change it for yourself? I know just enough about this business at this point to get myself in trouble, so I have to rely on what I have learned as a business owner and the one thing that any business person needs is a positive attitude all the time and especially when we are dealing with other people. "Pizzing" off a few dispatchers isn't going to make life easy...being, well not nasty to the people you enteract with when you get to a customers place of business but maybe just "going through the motions", just being there , getting the freight, and getting out of there without being personable just might get a call to dispatch telling them not to send that grumpy guy back here...You might have been just fine as far as you were concerned, but you just didn't come across as a postive extention of the company that you drive for... that sure isn't going to make TPTB happy back at "P"...

In another thread someone bashed a recruiters post as "typical recruiter BS" to paraphase, because she spoke of positive attitude and such, well that should be coming from everyone that is involved in this business, without it no one makes it. No one wants anyone to bs them with a rosy blue sky "everything is great" bs but bring a negative attitude to the board is simply a extention of ours lives and how we are doing things at that moment. You can't tell me that you can post the defensive negative post here, then simply turn that off when you go about your day, hell my wife picks up on that from me in a heartbeat and I for the most part have a positive attitude, not always, no one does, but I make every effort to be, especially when I interact with others.

You advise directed to me was not to do this, I won't make any profit let alone pay the bills, well, while I respect your opinion based on your experiences, I guess being stupid of the in's and out's of this business is like the old saying, "ignorance is bliss", because while I have lost money in more then one business over the years, I WILL make money on this venture, i am sure I won't make a profit each month running back to back, but over the long haul and thats 18 -24 months for me, i'll do ok and go from there. You can do better then you are right now, everyone can... you are in control of alot of what happens to you...take a look and see where you can make changes for the positive to enhance your worth to the company and customers... I bet your wife and family could offer some advise, I know mine does on a regular basis....

Stress is a killer, in more then one way.........

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
As of right now I have been on duty since SAturday when I came home,,Today is Tuesday...

Beemer this is just a thought, and I'm not sure if you meant the above literally.. but are you at home? If so, that could be why you're not getting as many calls as you would like. To my knowledge it's a bit complicated how dispatch determines priority of board presence, but as I understand it, if you are at home, even if you fall into their board, you won't be a priority. And if you keep coming home to a board that perhaps isn't as active as one might like, could always try a different board? They say to go where the freight is, right?.. and once you're rollin.. it's easier to keep rollin.. you know?
Also.. as curmudgeonly as the Col may have become along his journey, (and I say that in an affectionate sense), he's not singling you out, nor referring to you personally. You are welcome to disagree with his viewpoints, however his opinion is particularly valued by many here, (as long as you're able to catch his drift). After you've been here awhile I'm sure you will see past the crust and appreciate his input. Can't be sensitive when you're in biz, take your info, sift thru it, make your best decisions, and know you did your best with what you had available.
And the Chef is correct, sometimes we are so caught up in our own inner conflicts that we don't realize how our attitude is coming across to others. Always good to stand back and take a check on that. And not saying you have a bad attitude, just saying take stock for yourself, of yourself, and guide yourself from there.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That was very well said, ChefDennis. It can be very tough to keep a positive attitude, when things are going downhill, but it's worth the effort, absolutely. Negativity can easily become a self fulfilling prophecy, and it's a battle I don't always win, but am getting better at fighting, anyway. Thanks for the reminder.:)

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Hey there Chef D, Hope your middle name isn't Boy R... J/K Anyway, As I see it right now you are one of very few in my opinion that are qualified to get into expediting. What I mean by that is you are not dependant on the income from expediting to pay your bills/debts and support yourself and a family. Anyone that does need an income to do the aforementioned should really be looking somewhere else. I have said this many times before and hopefully some had taken my advice and saved themselves some headaches and heartbreak not to mention breaking their own bank if any.

As for running in a cargo van, I don't see a problem at all especially in your situation, I have been doing this for quite some time in a C/V and really enjoy it, but as I said I've been doing it quite awhile and pretty much know the ropes. I support only myself pretty much and for the most part know what to do and where to go to get freight. There is really only one big secret to this expediting game and that is being in the right place at the right time. It isn't a hard business to learn you just have to ask questions and learn as you go. As for seeing the country it would be best in my opinion to do it in a cargo van as you will not have any problem going anywhere you want to go. If a car can go there then so can you. except parking garages and automatic car washes. LOL.

Although a used van is usually a good way to go ( might want to check with beemer about his) to get started. You may also think about a new one. With auto sales the way they are now the BIG 3 are giving out quite a few incentives to buy new. (trucks especially) I know GM is letting extended family and friends of GM employees get the employee discount. Either way I would consider a GM or GMC ext. 1 ton cargo van and if possible get one with the raised roof. Mine is a 04' chevy express with 321000 miles and purrin' like a kitten. had water pump replaced at 155000.

As for seeing some of the sites, If your wife is ever able to go out with you for an extended period that would be great as it is always better to have someone share the experience with you.

Wish you the best and 'Bon Appetit'
Fr8 Shaker

theBeemer

Not a Member
Beemer this is just a thought, and I'm not sure if you meant the above literally.. but are you at home? If so, that could be why you're not getting as many calls as you would like. To my knowledge it's a bit complicated how dispatch determines priority of board presence, but as I understand it, if you are at home, even if you fall into their board, you won't be a priority. And if you keep coming home to a board that perhaps isn't as active as one might like, could always try a different board? They say to go where the freight is, right?.. and once you're rollin.. it's easier to keep rollin.. you know?
Also.. as curmudgeonly as the Col may have become along his journey, (and I say that in an affectionate sense), he's not singling you out, nor referring to you personally. You are welcome to disagree with his viewpoints, however his opinion is particularly valued by many here, (as long as you're able to catch his drift). After you've been here awhile I'm sure you will see past the crust and appreciate his input. Can't be sensitive when you're in biz, take your info, sift thru it, make your best decisions, and know you did your best with what you had available.
And the Chef is correct, sometimes we are so caught up in our own inner conflicts that we don't realize how our attitude is coming across to others. Always good to stand back and take a check on that. And not saying you have a bad attitude, just saying take stock for yourself, of yourself, and guide yourself from there.

Actually my friend somethings Id like to address.. I live in a very good area..If your with Panther its called the Milan board. Supposedly on average 8 loads a day. The computer on their website can not lie. So I see my self as 6th out then fourth then second..Computer still shows 7 to 8 loads a day. MY spin those loads are the ones panther is selling or they are Canada loads that no wants to take because they are one way trips and its not worth it. Let alone the fleeceing you get when you come back through Detroit. I get a nice run again, again pulled of because of safety..Ya right.I have proved before I can run longer ones with no problems. This past thursday the 24th of July I get pulled off a 930 mile run becuase of safety.Supposedly average 47 mph...I have no lates period. So they want me to take to Milwalkee and let some one else run it the last 530 hmmm for a 24 hour load.. WHo on earth in a cargo van does 47 mph . It was an easy 15 hour run at most doing the speed limits.I could be wrong but maybe someone a friend perhaps a favorite was sitting there and they got it..Except I only took to Chicago area..Kinda ruined that suprise.Actually had to do it again..Although I have driven farther with Panther quite safe I get pulled off this last one.. So here I sit in Tennesee with every board loaded up with others who positioned themselves. So should I stay here and roast in van or go home for the same amount of money and get back on my own board what would you or anyone else do?
AS far as my detracter NO his sarcasm was aimed right at me. I looked through the postings and no else typed about class 8. I just called him it, As you noticed another smart a-- remark. Gee if he is out of the circle who the heck is he to try to humilate or tear me down since he doesn't know whats going on out here now besides what he reads on this forum?
Will be more the happy to email my number and we can find a place to meet we can see how sarcastic his humor is toward me.
At least I was honest to the Chef fellow, I see alot of smoke being blown on here..If it is true, doing so great more then five hundred miles a week if your lucky..Myself and the 10 others really are in incompetance and should have another profession.
By the way love your country..Clean, Safe, Pretty Women all over and Good Beer..Labatts Blue label not the stuff sold here but the real Klondyke stuff..Throw in some Tim Hortons Back Bacon Sandwich and your ready to take off.....eh?