Van or Sprinter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Aristotle and Turtle are 2 great examples of patience and courage in the van sector..they have endured with Panther and are successful with them...Most of us vanners seem to be always swimming against the current...no matter what carrier..:D

theBeemer

Not a Member
So beemer your gettin out...can't make it eh? First thing going against you...cargo van.....second thing Panther....
I'd like to ask you a couple questions...

When you go into a shipper are you pleasant?
Do you ask questions? Like gee my first time here...DO you ship many expedite loads? or You must ship a lot of expedite eh?

Now if the shipper say he/she does 5-10 loads a week sometimes more.....take notes and remember

There's more to expedite then just pick up and deliver and go wait...be more involved with the customers...get to know shipping patterns...PLAN to be around...once you get a patttern of 3-4 shippers in a given area you will know when to be there...look around the place...are they busy? This isn't a deadhead business you have to be on the ball and thinking of how to get an edge...that 1 extra load you get a few times aa month because you were paying attention can mean the difference of failure and success.

Maybe it could be Panther maybe its not. When I first got into this gig I went with bolt. I would sit and sit waiting on load calling in doing EVERYTHING I was suppose to do. Watching the others come in and get stuck too. Not as bad as Bolt. Watch the Panther vans come in and they would be gone.
I only drove a big truck for 12 years so I really don't know how to handle customers that well. I mean like would I go to them with a bad attitude? No.
Do I network myself yes. My Mentor (?) a guy with a lot of exipite experance I call every day for advice. He does the same thing and has people to ask with 6 7 plus years experance..Guess what were all going broke or extreme just making it. I have talk to many others they are too.
Might have something to do with all the auto plants shutting down, retooling suv plants to small cars. Avon Lake Ford van plant shut down whole month of July for instance.
This is Weds.,,,I was 6th out on Saturday. I am on the big cats Milan board. I look at the owner website it shows seven loads a day coming out of here.. Must be new math again. Are they brokering the loads out again? As of now I am second
Can anyone be honest and tell me which outfit your actually making a living with? I know its not the big cat. My on time is 100 percent for the 8 month been leased to them. Safety is 98 percent. Load acceptance is at 85 per cent. Tell me what I am doing wrong here.
Actually my friend out of all the people I have talked to you and Charles are doing good. What is your secret that the rest of us don't know? I really find it hard to believe so many people would tell me they can't pay their bills and their vans are getting repoed if it wasn't true. People with experance in this field meaning 2 3 years plus are having problems.
At least I was honest and told the truth.. I have talked to many and they can't even afford to do properly maintain their
vans.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you figure the success rate in the van market is only 10% then yes.....9 out of 10 vanners you speak to aren't making it...
Besides Charles theres turtle/p2 and Rlent/ Bolt are also making the grade....so is it the carrier or the personality....as you may have read here and it plays like a broken record...you have to find the carrier that fits the way YOU like to work. And THEY like the way you work. Some/many never find the combination.

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
well beamer i am guilty of bringing you aboard the panther train...will things get better???probably not...are others in our boat?? yes. as you no we keep current with ten other drivers and none are doing very good..once in awhile (as in every other month) one of us does a break away week..maybe 3000 miles, but many more are doing closer to 500-700..this is a terrible week for me. rather the month has been terrible, in a few days i will be able to put it behind me.. however one of the ten already has 1700 miles this week (which we start on monday) now one of my drivers consistently gets about a third more miles then i do a week, dont worry about the van thing, had a sprinter as you no for almost 3 years, and only about maybe once a month did it benefit me getting loaded ahead of others..personally i havent had a load offer in 5 days, and supposedly like your board there is 6 loads a day out of here, finally down to number 2 from number 6..august freight usually picks up!! i said usually.... the world is changing rapidly...a year ago i told everyone about expediting (friends and family) freight was there..today things are different, less freight +more expediting companys, (counted over 30 different ones in 2 weeks)= less freight to go around...will we survive?? god knows the future and him only!! for us its a day by day venture..people will tell you its a stat thing..i dont believe it for a minute...as you no my driver is 100% across the board and has not been home in 4 months....his goal is to make money while he can..some weeks he does. others he doesnt, however for the month of july he is down almost 65% compared to may and june...lets just hope august brings out a change that we all need...hang in there bro...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am down as well....July is usually hit and miss....more misses then hits....but fuels dropping along with the FSC ,that might encourage more shippers to use us again...who knows...just do the best ya can at least you can say you gave it your best shot!

theBeemer

Not a Member
well beamer i am guilty of bringing you aboard the panther train...will things get better???probably not...are others in our boat?? yes. as you no we keep current with ten other drivers and none are doing very good..once in awhile (as in every other month) one of us does a break away week..maybe 3000 miles, but many more are doing closer to 500-700..this is a terrible week for me. rather the month has been terrible, in a few days i will be able to put it behind me.. however one of the ten already has 1700 miles this week (which we start on monday) now one of my drivers consistently gets about a third more miles then i do a week, dont worry about the van thing, had a sprinter as you no for almost 3 years, and only about maybe once a month did it benefit me getting loaded ahead of others..personally i havent had a load offer in 5 days, and supposedly like your board there is 6 loads a day out of here, finally down to number 2 from number 6..august freight usually picks up!! i said usually.... the world is changing rapidly...a year ago i told everyone about expediting (friends and family) freight was there..today things are different, less freight +more expediting companys, (counted over 30 different ones in 2 weeks)= less freight to go around...will we survive?? god knows the future and him only!! for us its a day by day venture..people will tell you its a stat thing..i dont believe it for a minute...as you no my driver is 100% across the board and has not been home in 4 months....his goal is to make money while he can..some weeks he does. others he doesnt, however for the month of july he is down almost 65% compared to may and june...lets just hope august brings out a change that we all need...hang in there bro...

Thanks Brother..who knows maybe it will semi pick back up. I just scratch my head in amazement all these folks doing so well and none of us are. I wonder what we are doing wrong? I was doing ok when first sighned on,,,well except going to the Klondike three times a week for the one way trips not even knowing or seeing the South East in the winter time.
My basic bills cell phone, housing, van payment, utilities, insurance comes up to about 1200 a month... I can hardly make it.Thats why I was honest to the guy wanting to get into this.
My advice is DO NOT DO IT.Go drive a big truck, and at least get paid. That is what I am going back to doing.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok We all know I have "zip" "0" no experience in this business at all, so what I say is simply just from general business experience having owned and still owning several businesses (3 of them right now).

1st, thanks for bring this issue to the table Beemer, while I appreciate your honesty and your take and your personal experience, we all have different wants and needs, if I can't make a few grand a month after expenses, then I have to re-evaluate my wants vs my needs. I don't need to make a dime doing this other then having it pay for itself, a wage is a want, not a need.

While business expenses are always there and ongoing, at no time in my business life and in any of the businesses I have been and am currently in have or will I ever look at the money issue as a daily thing, monthly is even not a good why to track a business as far as I am concerned. I have always looked at any business on a quarterly basis, and as time goes on even a semi annual basis. Sure you can loss money today, this week, this month, but over the long haul, most good business people that work at it, ask for input, listen and use the sound advise given, can make it in most businesses. I own a fitness center right now, it lost money for 16 months in a row, it is now 4 yrs old and making good money, paying the people that run it (i am a absentee owner) and paying its own bills and putting a small profit (SMALL) in the bank. I could have closed the doors real easy if i had listened to my accountant, but i didn't. It will NEVER make my even $25 grand a year, but it employs 4 people and pays them a wage that they are happy with and it does make a few bucks.

I have loss money and closed businesses, not everything is right for everyone, I am living proof of that.

For me personally, I like challenges. I might not make it in this, but going into it with that attitude will make that happen for sure. So I'll go in using everything I have learned in by over 50 years of working and owning businesses and ask for advise and help, listen to those around me that are sucessful and set realistic goals and deal with this business as it goes on, but not expect it to do anything financially other then pay its own expenses for a year minimum, and I can carry its espenses for a year with no problem, but thats not why i am getting into it, i figure I'll do ok. Hell I am already figuring in 18 months maybe buying a straight truck and putting someone else in the van.

Nothing is guaranteed to anyone, we each have to make our own way and do what we have to do to get to our goals, sometimes we do, sometimes we don't, but going into anything figuring it own work is kind of self defeating.

For me with any business the key is starting it as inexpensively as possible, be as well fincanced as possible, the work as hard as you can and be the best prepared as you can, mentally and phyiscally and be resady to offer everyone involved the best you can.

3-5 days in a van in a parking lot of the "J" isn't anyones idea of fun, but just sitting there thinking how bad this business is isn't doing anyone any good. For me the time will be used to educate myself , not only to this business, but I have already purchased a online class to take, to keep my mind active and not to dwell on the sitting. LOL, and my van will be VERY WELL equipment to make my life in those parking lots as easy as i can. TV, SW radio, ssm smokergrill so I can cook (my stress reliever) internet service so I can stay in touch with my family just to name a few. If I sat and just waited for the next load, you can bet, id be pulling my already grey hair out.

I guess for me, there in no option but to make this work, its how i do things. And as I said, this business does not have to pay me a dime at all, all it has to do is pay for itself after a the 1st quarter. Buying me a wage, is simply the cream, and it will, maybe not for 6 months, but it will.

OntarioVanMan, aristotle, CharlesD, and x06col Thanks for your input here, your advise is always welcome. We all have different situations that are our gauge for what we want or feel we need to be a sucuess, but we also should always be open to advise and then we have to make our own decisions. In the end it isn't our failures that define us, it is our failures that brings our successes. I have this quote in my office here at home:

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm."

Sir Winston Churchill

I'll do ok in this business, even in a van in a not so good time in this business, over the long haul, it will all work out.

Hang in ther Beemer, you can do this, but its up to you..

Last edited:

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
If more people had the healthy attitude you have about this business, they also could be successful. Many that enter here won't or can't wait quarterly to see how tings a shaking out. Many tink it may be their salvation toward that million dollah plan to pull them up by the bootstraps. Won't happen. Many get outa 'big trucks" to screw the pooch and make their life easier. (easy comes with a cost) Many are boneheaded to the point that they "don't wanna" do a lot of tings they just, flat, gotta do to get by. As an example, if a person is qualified to, and good at driving a big truck, why in the world are they not driving a big truck in the expediting business, steada cargo van. Makes no sense to me. Lotsa factors that make up success and, or failure, an actually my fingers are getting sore typing about them over the years. The ones that are going to be mediocre or fail in this business are still going to be that way no matter what. It's just a mindset. Simple.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If more people had the healthy attitude you have about this business, they also could be successful. Many that enter here won't or can't wait quarterly to see how tings a shaking out. Many tink it may be their salvation toward that million dollah plan to pull them up by the bootstraps. Won't happen. Many get outa 'big trucks" to screw the pooch and make their life easier. (easy comes with a cost) Many are boneheaded to the point that they "don't wanna" do a lot of tings they just, flat, gotta do to get by. As an example, if a person is qualified to, and good at driving a big truck, why in the world are they not driving a big truck in the expediting business, steada cargo van. Makes no sense to me. Lotsa factors that make up success and, or failure, an actually my fingers are getting sore typing about them over the years. The ones that are going to be mediocre or fail in this business are still going to be that way no matter what. It's just a mindset. Simple.

We budget over a quarter...have a target where we need to be....it's just to swingy to do any less....

HEY....pal :).....I have the BIG ticket CDL B...but chose not to drive big ones....don't wanna log, don't wanna deal with DOT...besides all things considered I make as much or more...that is, everything taken onto consideration...AND the fact I now have van experience....I'll take the lose IF there is any BUT I won't whine about it if there is.....theres the difference...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
x06col wrote:

The ones that are going to be mediocre or fail in this business are still going to be that way no matter what. It's just a mindset. Simple.

No truer statement has been said here on this thread. It makes no difference what you do in life, if you are just going to be mediocre or fail because of yourself, it makes no difference what you do, the outcome will be the same.

For me when I get into any business, I am not working at a job, I am running MY business. While there are always outside influences on any business, if you as a business owner are providing the best service, attitude and effort to those outside influences, you will find that they will be more then happy to work with you.

As a business ownwe, when their is a problem with a employee it is treated as i deal with problems with my kids, it isn't "their" problem, it is "OUR" problem and it is not , "ok how are you going to pck it?", it is how are "WE" going to fix it?", What do "WE" need to do to make the best of any situation.

Dealing with a dispatcher, or client and just the guy on the dock, you need to treat them all as if they are the most important person you are dealing with, quite simply at that moment, they are! Any and all of the people you come in contact with can make or break you and your business, because how you treat them, will change YOUR attitude, either for the better or the worse.

For me, while my way temperment and demeanor doesn't let me work well for someone, I always know where and when to treat those around me the best i can to achieve the best end result for all involved. Thats just good business. When you do that, its funny how most businesses will thrive.

I am not looking to make a small fortune from this business, just enjoy it and do the best I can and offer those i have contact with the best service I can..

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
chefdennis said.."For me, while my way temperment and demeanor doesn't let me work well for someone, I always know where and when to treat those around me the best i can to achieve the best end result for all involved. Thats just good business. When you do that, its funny how most businesses will thrive."

Wow...I coulda wrote that...thats me in a nutshell...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
OVM wrote:

HEY....pal .....I have the BIG ticket CDL B...but chose not to drive big ones....don't wanna log, don't wanna deal with DOT...besides all things considered I make as much or more...that is, everything taken onto consideration...AND the fact I now have van experience....I'll take the lose IF there is any BUT I won't whine about it if there is.....theres the difference...

I understand the having a "B" cdl and not using it. If i were to buy a straight truck, it would be to do the team deal with on of my kids until my wife decides to retire, then she becomes the other part of the team in a bigger truck. And yea, the logging and other "stuff" is a small deterent also, but thats down the road and not an issue right now.

I'll take the lose IF there is any BUT I won't whine about it if there is.....theres the difference...

Yeap, besides, no one really wants to hear about it!! :D

Business losses are part of the deal, lol, from a tax stand point, this business will lose money for more then a few years, and on that you can bet!!!!;)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I could persuade the wife to get her cdl B that could swing the pendulum...but I'll not do CDL B trucking as a single....as they say..."show me the money" I am just that darn good at vanning!!!*L*

And the loses...you can that straight to the taxman....:p

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
OVM, i'm covinced you could do extremely well single in a straight truck. You have just been hanging out in the wrong circles.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM, i'm covinced you could do extremely well single in a straight truck. You have just been hanging out in the wrong circles.

Col...you could be right....a small but organized carrier without all the garbage of the BIG carriers....beep that, beep this...crappy appreciation days, picnics, meaningless attaboys...the money they spend just trying to sell ya how good they are treating you....I say shove it and translate all those goodies into CASH for ME!!!!!

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
No "could be" about it Buck. That'll be a fact!!

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
That's it in a nutshell. Da baggage will kill ya. Ya gotta be nimble. When the phone rings you answer it each time every time. If the price is right, the customer has a truck, right then. No calling/message sending, time eating, *** kissing, or, cajoleing to get a load covered. It's a done deal. Customers like that. Really like that.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
your right Col

Its not rocket science here.....customer wants truck, you have truck....they offer this, you want that..yes or no...period...
customer doesn't care about your problems he's got one of his own....yes you do it, no you don't, 3 minutes tops....move on