Van fuel pumps

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, at 72k miles the fuel pump decided to give out. That's less than half the mileage I expected to get out of it. I was about 2 miles toward a shipper so I lost out on today's job and money. The nearest fuel pump is 275 miles away and won't be in until Tuesday morning. The only good part of it is they say it should be warranty. If not it is $1100-1200!!! :eek::eek::eek: I think I'll be looking for alternative repair options before the next one goes out.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Is it a Chevy? A guy who had a Chevy told me to expect it to go out earlier than expected. He actually cut a hole in the floor of the van above the fuel pump to access it from the inside, and he carries a spare with him. If it goes, he pulls over and changes it himself.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
My05 GMC has over 400,000 mile and still on the original pump, but I do know where to cut the hole in the floor..$1100-$1200 is crazy..any good mechanic can have that pump changed in less then a hr even with taking the tank out, the hardest part is pumping the gas out....unless they are using a electric pump, but with most peoples luck the tank is closer to full then empty when the pump goes out..

One thing I try not to do is run the tank below a quarter of a tank...that way you are "limiting" the pickup from sucking up any garbage up that may be in the tank....

hdxpedx

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Had my FORD fuel pump rebuilt at a chevy dealer in Eutaw Al. for $350.00. It lasted 75,000 miles and I was under a load when it just stopped.SUCKED! Wrecker truck delivered me and the frt. to a jet which was waiting on me. SUCKED. Got it home and dropped the fuel tank and wholla the pump was in pieces on the bottom of the tank! So much for a MECHANIC'S repair.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The only good part of it is they say it should be warranty. If not it is $1100-1200!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I don't know who they are or what kind of warranty you have that covers a fuel pump at 72k miles but you should make a huge issue of this with GM. My 2004, 6.0 has 525,000 miles on the original fuel pump. My 1998, 5.8 went about 180,000 miles on the original. When that was replaced, the dealer said GM had solved the fuel pump failure problem and the new pump was guaranteed for life.

Leo, any early warning signs of the impending failure? Engine turning over slightly longer before firing up?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is it a Chevy? A guy who had a Chevy told me to expect it to go out earlier than expected.

That was common among the late 90's and very early 2000 era GMs. Those vans had an in-line fuel filter mounted along the frame rail. A $10 part and very easy to change. I would replace fuel filters twice a year, spring and fall. I also kept my tank above a ¼ full. I believe this practice helped me get past the typical 100,000 mile fail point.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
That was common among the late 90's and very early 2000 era GMs. Those vans had an in-line fuel filter mounted along the frame rail. A $10 part and very easy to change. I would replace fuel filters twice a year, spring and fall. I also kept my tank above a ¼ full. I believe this practice helped me get past the typical 100,000 mile fail point.

Would the van not have the same fuel pump as a 2002 2500hd pickup? I had to replace the pump twice on my pickup. It had around 150k on it when I sold it. I didn't pay anywhere near that price for either of them. It was around $650 total best I remember.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is an 09 Chevy 3500 with the 6.0 engine. I've run too low on fuel a couple of times. Where are the good old days when the fuel pump was mounted on the firewall? It is at my dealer.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Where are the good old days when the fuel pump was mounted on the firewall?

When were any fuel pumps mounted to the firewall?

Ever think of putting in a backup system? Like a Holly HP pump in parallel?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well they probably weren't on the firewall but I'm pretty sure they weren't inside the fuel tank until more recently. Yes, that's what I meant by alternative repair options, a pump outside the tank that would take the place of the drop the tank factory pump.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Is it a Chevy? A guy who had a Chevy told me to expect it to go out earlier than expected. He actually cut a hole in the floor of the van above the fuel pump to access it from the inside, and he carries a spare with him. If it goes, he pulls over and changes it himself.

** I met that guy last week in Laredo. He showed me the access floor plate he cut out of the floor in his van and yes he did carry a spare fuel pump . Note*** If ur driving a gas engine auto, add one ounce of 2 cycle oil to 5 gallons of gas in ur tank and ur electric fuel pump will last a long time and there will be no fuel pump noise ever. Make sure u use the Marine brand 2 cycle oil with tcw3 additive It is ashless and no harm will be done to ur engine. It also acts as a cleaner and upper cylinder lubricant.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I had an '88 soccer mommy van, and it had the fuel pump in the fuel tank. But any competent repair shop should have a tank stand, and it takes about an hour to drop the tank, replace the pump, and replace the tank.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I would like to know if the standard GM warranty covers the pump,i would guess no.I have never had a pump go,my mechanic passed this on to me and i've done it on a fellow expeditors vanwith good results.With vehicles that have the pump in the tank and you know or suspect you have a fuel delivery issue,kick the fuel tank hard a couple times and it should unfreeze the pump.It took 5 kicks to get the guys van started and i really wanted him to do it, don't feel comfortable kicking other peoples trk and it help the owner focus there anger at the appropriate thing.My wrench does this to get vehicles in and move them around in his shop when it's a bad fuel pump.The longest he's let the run is less the 5 mins,he isn't into wasting fuel he has a pump or something to move the fuel in and out of the tank.The guy i helped didn't have a cell [this was a while ago pagers back then] never called to tell me how far he got,he was heading up i69n to M.I so he, and his plate said.This was at the FT Wayne trk stop before the corral and he did get onto i69 i watched him,so this may help get ya another 5 ft or 50 miles i don't know.

Camper

Not a Member
$1100-$1200 is an outrageous amount for what is a relatively straight forward repair. The part, itself shouldn't be anymore than about $300 or so. I can't see paying $800 to $900 in labor for a job any competent shop can do in an hour or two.

usaf6186

Veteran Expediter
When were any fuel pumps mounted to the firewall?

Ever think of putting in a backup system? Like a Holly HP pump in parallel?

Most fuel pumps were on the side of the engine and ran off a lobe on the valve cam. Some Hot Rods that needed more fuel pressure had them mounted of the fire wall. Jerry Lee

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ok someone can correct me if i am wrong..but its my thinking the the ele pump in the tank is mounted on the end of the pickup tube and is a "draw thru" design.

If you install a external ele pump in parallel within the fuel line, if the in the tank pump goes bad, will the eternal pump "draw thru" it? I am not sure, that is way I am asking..if it won't then the installation of an external pump would also requirer an additional pickup in the tank....

Iam thinking that if the in the tank pump goes bad since it is eletric it becomes a closed valve (or maybe open depending on where it was in the cycle when it went bad)....

As for firewall mounted fuel pumps...has a few electric ones mounted on the wheel well on the smae side of the frame where the fuel line came up to the engine...oh and my dad had a "hand pump" to build fuel pressure mounted on the left side outside on the cowl of the old Mel Kenyon built Offy powered midget dirt car...had that thing till the late 80's and wouldn't sell it to me..it is worth a bucket full of money today....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The new GM's or at least my 2004, the fuel filter is part of the fuel pump. My 1998 had the fuel filter located along the fuel line. If one were to add an external pump in-line it would be drawing fuel through the original fuel pump's fuel filter, if like Denis mentioned it is even possible.

The fuel filter could be the culprit in Leo's fuel pump's early demise. Crud from the assembly line, perhaps a UAW worker's snot rag or beer can got into the fuel tank, restricting the flow of fuel through the filter. This could cause the pump to overheat and wear out prematurely. A collapsed or defective fuel filter could also cause this. Or maybe just a crappy pump.