Van fuel pumps

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Leo, are you up and running? Any speculation on why your fuel pump failed? Did GM cover any of the costs?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Most fuel pumps were on the side of the engine and ran off a lobe on the valve cam. Some Hot Rods that needed more fuel pressure had them mounted of the fire wall.

I know all that. Do you need any A/C, Smiths or Lucas 6 volt pumps for your souped up Ford?

back in the Model T days LOL:rolleyes:

Model T's didn't have fuel pumps.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I got it back yesterday evening and no charge. No definite reason for the failure as there was no crud in it so apparently it was just one made for me. I'm going with partial responsibility for running very low on fuel a few times. I guess due to the immense stupidity of engineers who put fuel pumps inside fuel tanks one has to consider their fuel tank empty whenit hits the 1/4 mark as if the tank were that much smaller.

As an aside, they made the rental car for me too. If you turned left then right like in a mall parking lot jogging over one row in the parking lot it would honk the horn.

Camper

Not a Member
I got it back yesterday evening and no charge. No definite reason for the failure as there was no crud in it so apparently it was just one made for me. I'm going with partial responsibility for running very low on fuel a few times. I guess due to the immense stupidity of engineers who put fuel pumps inside fuel tanks one has to consider their fuel tank empty whenit hits the 1/4 mark as if the tank were that much smaller.

As an aside, they made the rental car for me too. If you turned left then right like in a mall parking lot jogging over one row in the parking lot it would honk the horn.

Leo,

I'm happy to hear it all worked for you.

Was this covered under the bumper to bumper warranty?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm not really sure what covered it as I have 72k miles and I thought the warranty was 60k but whatever it was I'm sure glad it covered. I just hope to get far more than 72k from this one.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got it back yesterday evening and no charge.
Good deal! I'm of the belief that the more fuel in the tank the more that fuel can absorb heat from the pump. A cooler running fuel pump is a happy fuel pump. And a happy fuel pump may outlive an unhappy fuel pump. I don't know if this is true but for me it's another reason to keep the fuel level above a ¼ tank.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not really sure what covered it as I have 72k miles and I thought the warranty was 60k but whatever it was I'm sure glad it covered. I just hope to get far more than 72k from this one.

Maybe GM realizes a problem with this particular pump but doesn't want to go public with it.

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok someone can correct me if i am wrong..but its my thinking the the ele pump in the tank is mounted on the end of the pickup tube and is a "draw thru" design.

If you install a external ele pump in parallel within the fuel line, if the in the tank pump goes bad, will the eternal pump "draw thru" it? I am not sure, that is way I am asking..if it won't then the installation of an external pump would also requirer an additional pickup in the tank....

Iam thinking that if the in the tank pump goes bad since it is eletric it becomes a closed valve (or maybe open depending on where it was in the cycle when it went bad)....

As for firewall mounted fuel pumps...has a few electric ones mounted on the wheel well on the smae side of the frame where the fuel line came up to the engine...oh and my dad had a "hand pump" to build fuel pressure mounted on the left side outside on the cowl of the old Mel Kenyon built Offy powered midget dirt car...had that thing till the late 80's and wouldn't sell it to me..it is worth a bucket full of money today....

i asked a mechnic the same thing and he said it woudn't be cause it does act like a diaphram