TSA Stormtroopers at your home

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
FECC sent out a message the other day saying that the TSA will going to our personal residences to do inspections and to verify whatever it is they verify. The message aslo instructed us to comply.

Am I the only one who is bothered by this?

I think the only thing TSA will verify at my house is a slammed door in their face.

Government Officials Visiting Drivers
If you are qualified to handle specialized shipments, including shipments regulated by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), please understand that these agencies could visit your home to verify your address, discuss your responsibilities, or inspect your vehicle while laden with regulated cargo. These visits or inspections are a normal part of enforcement activities. These visits are rare, but we wanted to alert you to this possibility to avoid surprise. You may want to consider asking for identification from the inspector to confirm their identity and also may want to consider informing your family members of the possibility of these visits. As always, please do not hesitate to contact Contractor Relations with any questions or concerns.

Last edited:

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
FECC sent out a message the other day saying that the TSA will going to our personal residences to do inspections and to verify whatever it is they verify. The message aslo instructed us to comply.

I think the only thing TSA will verify at my house is a slammed door in their face.

What ever for? (the inspection that is)

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I am thinking that if this came from FECC, it has to do with FE being a Govorment contractor and those leased to them hauling DOD loads.....Me personally, If this is "mandatory", I'd be looking for another carrier....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
From the very first time I got a government security clearance back in 1970 the government has been doing these "inspections". They not only checked my house, they checked my references AND the neighbors of my references.

When I got my clearances the second time they even sent agents to ALL of my military duty stations to check up on my records there. That INCLUDED Misawa Air Base, Japan.

This is NOTHING new and has nothing to do with FDCC. To be honest, I have been VERY surprised how lax security has been the last several years.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Layout,
These aren't security clearance checks as I read the statement, Yes at one time I had a TS Crypto so I know the drill. This seems like just another excuse for a TSA shakedown.

It seems to me they are going to use IAC endorsements as a wedge to expand TSA authority.

You out to watch Irobot, most people missed the point of that movie. Its not about robots run ammoke, but about the tyranny of good intentions.

In Irobot the robots at least had good intentions, unlike government workers.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Lot of carriers doing DOD loads and haven't seen this come up at any other carriers. Wonder if this is just a Fedex thing? Time will tell I guess.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It may be something different then, I don't know. I do know, without any doubt, that security is no where it was 40 years ago. They have REALLY lowered standards from back then.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was told when I signed on at Same Day that a TSA visit was possible. No idea when, or even if. Apparently, all I can really do is be sure my paperwork is in order and ask for ID when they show up, to make sure they're who they say they are.

Since I signed on, I haven't had a load that would be subject to scrutiny so I don't know if it will ever come up.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Dave,
I don't think this is DOD driven. I think this is TSA non sense like IAC certs and TWIC cards.

The idea I to get people used to governemnt inspectors of all stripes snooping into what used to be considered 'off limits'.

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter

If you are qualified to handle specialized shipments, including shipments regulated by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), please understand that these agencies could visit your home to verify your address, discuss your responsibilities, or inspect your vehicle while laden with regulated cargo. These visits or inspections are a normal part of enforcement activities. These visits are rare, but we wanted to alert you to this possibility to avoid surprise. You may want to consider asking for identification from the inspector to confirm their identity and also may want to consider informing your family members of the possibility of these visits. As always, please do not hesitate to contact Contractor Relations with any questions or concerns.

the tsa is nothing more than goons in their uniforms making minimum wage thinking they have the authority that a sheriff has.there purpose is to make sure the transpertation industry is safe they think there purpose is to control every aspect take a libertarian ****ss in our corn flakes. I heard that if your one of the people who they do the compliance check to you better make sure that you have the rite kind of tsa toilet paper because if you have one ply to many oh my my thats a tsa no no

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter

What would I be doing at home with a "specialized" load???

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have to admit that had me stumped too. If I do stop at home with freight onboard, it's only going to be for a few minutes.

We were once at home with freight for almost 4 days. They were unable to get clearance from customs to go into Canada. So we sat at home, getting paid, relaxing, till it cleared. It was NOT one of THOSE loads.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
please understand that these agencies could visit your home to verify your address, discuss your responsibilities, or inspect your vehicle while laden with regulated cargo.

address verification, discussion of responsibilities, inspection of vehicle with regulated cargo. What is wrong with that? I don't see anything saying you have to allow them into your home. I don't see anything stating that they are allowed to INSPECT anything other than the truck ?

What am I missing?

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
address verification, discussion of responsibilities, inspection of vehicle with regulated cargo. What is wrong with that? I don't see anything saying you have to allow them into your home. I don't see anything stating that they are allowed to INSPECT anything other than the truck ?

What am I missing?

You're not missing anything but who wants to deal with this kind of stuff on their OFF time at home? With the administration that we have in charge now, who can say how far they can go and who do you report to if you feel they've gone too far? They can't verify your addy any other way?? If not then what good is the background check?? When you have people reporting that they've been asked at the border how many guns they have AT HOME, it makes one wonder. If I remember correctly, that was a Canadian border agent but it's wrong all the same and again, who can you talk to about it? Who's on our side in these things??