Trucking days are numbered...

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
Well it looks as if my trucking days are comming to an end sooner then expected. I was looking at getting out by summer/fall but as some might know i have alot of stomach related issues that trucking doesnt get along with. Well i have been "sick" for the past few months due to being on the road and the docs are advising i get out ASAP or i could be doing more harm then good for the future. So now i'm faced with what to do next as i have little to no money saved up and have no incase of emergency plans. So my advice to anyone out here and that has been said many many times before save your money when you can to prepare for the worst such as these times. Also to note i am only 22 years old with these problems so yes it can happen to anyone at any age.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Well it looks as if my trucking days are comming to an end sooner then expected. I was looking at getting out by summer/fall but as some might know i have alot of stomach related issues that trucking doesnt get along with. Well i have been "sick" for the past few months due to being on the road and the docs are advising i get out ASAP or i could be doing more harm then good for the future. So now i'm faced with what to do next as i have little to no money saved up and have no incase of emergency plans.

I am very sorry to hear of your illness. I remember meeting you at the Expo. We wish you wellness and good health in 2008.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I know what you're going through. I had to come off the road a little over a year ago myself. I had little money set back. There is life after trucking. I found the being home everyday a little hard to settle into, but now I kinda enjoy it. Just hang in there. Something will come up. Maybe you could look into going to work in a trucking comapny's office somewhere. I tried that route. Best info on that is don't get discouraged when someone tells you no.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Randy, I know it's trite, but most trite sayings are the truth: when one door closes, another opens. If you can keep that in mind, during what can be a discouraging time, you'll see the door opening sooner, I bet. Best of luck, whatever comes next for you.
PS The best advice I ever got about work is this: find a way to get paid to do something that doesn't FEEL like 'work' to you, and you will consider the money to be a bonus. ;) (Just don't tell the bossthat, lol)

Reactions: 1 person

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Randy, We met up in Minnesota awhile back, and you seemed very happy with the expediting life, but health problems at your age, related to the job, are a sign that you need to be doing something different. Keep your eyes and your options open.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Randy, I met up with you and your Lady last spring when I was in the Speedco truck in NC. At that time you impressed me as a young guy who has his head on straight. I am sure you will do OK in any future endeavor. As Cherri said which was told to me 18 months ago"When one door closes another one opens".
Good luck and keep us all posted on your future plans. You can always drive but your health is the most important issue that you need to keep up.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Randy I remember when you 1st got into Expedite and your talking about it on your myspace page...
I am sorry to hear of your ailment and hope the best for you going forward.
Hear from Steve anymore??
Was wondering about him the other day..
Mike

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I hope you get better Randy. Always remember as the others have mentioned, there are always options if they are warranted.
Hoping you have good health in 08!

dave

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
With all of us rootin' for you, something good is sure to come along. We wish you well for the future

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
Thank you for all your kind words. I want to stay in trucking longer till i can find something to go into and make a nice transition with little to no "hicups". Also want to leave on a good note too as i have been on break from the holidays and want to put in my "2 weeks notice". I dont want to leave on a bad note even though working for my new fleet owners for only 2 months and then leaving is kind of a sour note.

I plan to visit everyonce and a while and give what knowledge i gained to other up and comming or current drivers.

Thanks,
Randy

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For a guy as young as you, with your ambition, the world is your oyster. Yeah, another trite saying but old folks like Cheri and me are into that kind of thing. I'm sure you'll be fine and I'm glad you'll still be hanging out here once in a while. All the best!

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
Well i guess things are looking up, i've put in job apps the other day thinking it would be awhile before anyone would call me anyway. Well got a job interview and was hired right away, the only downfall is the pay isnt so hot. So things are looking up. I told them ineed about 3 weeks to be able to put my 2 weeks notice in and then goto michigan to get my stuff and come back to iowa and get settled. Man things are just so crazy right now i didnt expect any of this. I dont know if i can stand driving and seeing the same things over and over again. I will certainly miss the trucker life (to a point).

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Well i guess things are looking up, i've put in job apps the other day thinking it would be awhile before anyone would call me anyway. Well got a job interview and was hired right away, the only downfall is the pay isnt so hot. So things are looking up. I told them ineed about 3 weeks to be able to put my 2 weeks notice in and then goto michigan to get my stuff and come back to iowa and get settled. Man things are just so crazy right now i didnt expect any of this. I dont know if i can stand driving and seeing the same things over and over again. I will certainly miss the trucker life (to a point).
Iowa?
What kinda job did you get?

Reactions: 1 person

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I am sorry to see you have to get out of this for a health reason. I am like Cheri I sure hope you can find something to do that you will love and it will not feel like a job. Good Luck with the next door that will open for you.

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Best of Luck

Randy,

Sorry to hear of your health issues. Take care of yourself because without your health nothing else matters.

Good luck in your new job,

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Randy,

I wish you guys well. I really enjoyed visiting with you guys at the expo breakfast. You guys strike me as two decent, hard working individuals that can and will do well wherever you are. Reading your recent job postings has me thinking you've found something that initially isn't so hot on pay and very likely in a year or so will be good when you've worked up to one of the manager positions. Please stay connected and keep us informed on how things are going with you guys. With your knowledge and love of things automotive I believe you are at the beginning of something good. Good luck.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Randy,
Good luck with your future endeavors. I've always enjoyed your posts and your enthusiasm for the business. If you're like many of us, you'll come back when you get your health issues straight, but for now.. take care of you, and let us know how you're doing.

Dale

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
Me and the g/f do have a pretty good feeling that we might end out back here if i can get my health fixed. She has been out of the truck for a little bit now in her new job and she says all the time she misses trucking and that eventually we could give it another shot depending how things go of course. Nobody knows what the next day will bring them or how their future is going to go no matter how hard you plan for something, there is always forks in the road and they might go ways you dont want to but there is nothing you can do about it besides pave your own road which might not work. I will try to keep everyone up to day and posted and see how things go. Being in a autofield heck maybe if someones in the area and needs something i could get them something from my store. Who knows.