Truck Driver Recruiter Pay Scale

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Paul's logic was that a driver represents profit to the carrier, and mine is that they can also represent a loss. If recruiters get credit for one, shouldn't they be held responsible for the other?
Just askin....I don't know what's involved, really, it just seems the reasonable way to look at it.

You can count that as negative revenue but the profit will still be much more, unless the company is going under. I would venture a guess that if a recruiter was costing a company money with the drivers they brought in it wouldn't be long before they were applying for a driving job. I'm not saying one job is more important than the other, but just from a revenue standpoint the recruiter is more valuable to a company.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
A good recruiter is probably worth the money they earn. I guess my question should have been, are drivers adequately compensated for the skills they possess ?

jimmy

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The smarter,or sometimes luckier ones, are.
In general, they are poorly compensated and taken advantage of.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Paul's logic was that a driver represents profit to the carrier, and mine is that they can also represent a loss. If recruiters get credit for one, shouldn't they be held responsible for the other?
Just askin....I don't know what's involved, really, it just seems the reasonable way to look at it.

The part of a driver representing a loss would fall on the person doing orientation and after that the trainer.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

And sure, pretty much anyone can learn to drive a truck, but that's just part of the job. If they can't manage the bookkeeping and accounting needed to stay compliant, the inspections & maintenance needed to stay safe, and the time management needed to stay alert on long runs at odd hours, they aren't going to be driving very long.
A recruiter's skill is tested by glossing over or completely failing to mention the above and also excluding driving in heavy traffic, nasty weather, hand unloading, breakdowns etc. Driving a big truck pretty much just involves sitting back, sipping good hot coffee and looking at majectic snow covered mountains from a distance.

The military has some of the best recruiters. They can sell newbies on the idea of flying planes, operating high tech equipment, shooting big guns and wearing really cool uniforms without ever mentioning boot camp, bad food and the fact that you may find yourself up to your ankles in your friend's innards, all with a straight face.

Whose you be callin' Chuck?

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

If the recruiter books the loads, then yes, they should be responsible for gains and loss. But, the recruiter's job is to get the driver's in the training seat. After that he/she just goes on to the next sap.

Monty

Expert Expediter
One thing for certain, if a recruiter works on commission, you can not pay them to much.

And even if it is a salary, or a percentage of profit, if he/she can bring the recruits in, seems they have done the job they are compensated for.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One thing for certain, if a recruiter works on commission, you can not pay them to much.

And even if it is a salary, or a percentage of profit, if he/she can bring the recruits in, seems they have done the job they are compensated for.

Like when a Carrier has a waiting list. How hard can it be to be a recruiter? :cool:

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just like any other job there is good and bad. If you don't like paperwork then being a recruiter could be tuff on you. Its not like driving is rocket science.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

paullud

Veteran Expediter
A recruiter's skill is tested by glossing over or completely failing to mention the above and also excluding driving in heavy traffic, nasty weather, hand unloading, breakdowns etc. Driving a big truck pretty much just involves sitting back, sipping good hot coffee and looking at majectic snow covered mountains from a distance.

The military has some of the best recruiters. They can sell newbies on the idea of flying planes, operating high tech equipment, shooting big guns and wearing really cool uniforms without ever mentioning boot camp, bad food and the fact that you may find yourself up to your ankles in your friend's innards, all with a straight face.

The Marine recruiter that got my brother to join sold him on the idea he would be like James Bond because of his MOS but failed to mention tracking people and gathering intelligence would be done by satellite while he sat at a computer. The mortar rounds and being bit by a camel spider were a nice change of pace.

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
Actually I try to never worry about what the 'other guy' is making. If ya do that you lose focus on what your trying to do and what your trying to earn. The only thing I worry about is my bottom line. Nothing more, nothing less.
Worry about what others are making, etc. and you'll drive your self crazy or make your self totally miserable all the time. Not worth wasting the time or energy.

osumike33

Seasoned Expediter
I believe they are since they bring the drivers in. It takes a special skill to sell drivers on a change that is a big decision, pretty much anyone can learn to drive a truck.

I think I would disagree with that....yes, pretty much anyone can learn to drive a truck, but almost anyone can learn to recruit people to a position that is always available, and to a constituency that is very mobile and quick to change companies at the drop of a hat. Offering big sign on bonuses doesn't hurt recruiting efforts...though, I would imagine finding the qualified people is the hardest part of the job. Funny thing is, IF the drivers were making that type of money (and I suspect some owner/operators do), they would not be moving from company to company.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I think I would disagree with that....yes, pretty much anyone can learn to drive a truck, but almost anyone can learn to recruit people to a position that is always available, and to a constituency that is very mobile and quick to change companies at the drop of a hat. Offering big sign on bonuses doesn't hurt recruiting efforts...though, I would imagine finding the qualified people is the hardest part of the job. Funny thing is, IF the drivers were making that type of money (and I suspect some owner/operators do), they would not be moving from company to company.

Let me tell you, recruiting ain't as easy as you think. It is hard to get drivers. That is why companies hire recruiters to do the leg work. It's a full time job of calling people, explaining how the company works, trackign down paperwork, listening to drivers BS about how they can do this and that. Spending a week on signing someone up for orientation only to have them no-show, or show up with a felony when they never told you that they had one. You can't just snap your fingers and get drivers. I'd welcome any of you all to try and be a recruiter for a day. A lot of the good recruiters have a black book of drivers that they've been working with for years and they can move those drivers with them to a new carrier. It takes a special person to recruit.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Let me tell you, recruiting ain't as easy as you think. It is hard to get drivers. That is why companies hire recruiters to do the leg work. It's a full time job of calling people, explaining how the company works, trackign down paperwork, listening to drivers BS about how they can do this and that. Spending a week on signing someone up for orientation only to have them no-show, or show up with a felony when they never told you that they had one. You can't just snap your fingers and get drivers. I'd welcome any of you all to try and be a recruiter for a day. A lot of the good recruiters have a black book of drivers that they've been working with for years and they can move those drivers with them to a new carrier. It takes a special person to recruit.

We are looking for a driver now and it takes a lot of work to get a driver in. There are the liars, the no shows, ones that call but aren't interested, and the whoops I didn't know you needed that piece of information that would keep me from getting hired guys.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

The military recruiters have the easiest job there is: tell a bunch of guys [and liberated women] that they will get to break stuff & kill people, and voila! Waiting list! :rolleyes:

Certainly not you, Lew. ;)