Truck Driver Recruiter Pay Scale

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It seems possible given the fact that recruiters are basically sales people and earn the company way more than any driver will.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

paullud

Veteran Expediter
So basically, recruiters are worth more to a company, than a truck driver?

jimmy

I believe they are since they bring the drivers in. It takes a special skill to sell drivers on a change that is a big decision, pretty much anyone can learn to drive a truck.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
I believe they are since they bring the drivers in. It takes a special skill to sell drivers on a change that is a big decision, pretty much anyone can learn to drive a truck.

Definitely a different skill set.

jimmy

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

How much skill does it take to 'sell' people on something they already indicated they want, just by talking to the salesperson?
And sure, pretty much anyone can learn to drive a truck, but that's just part of the job. If they can't manage the bookkeeping and accounting needed to stay compliant, the inspections & maintenance needed to stay safe, and the time management needed to stay alert on long runs at odd hours, they aren't going to be driving very long.
I don't know what all recruiters do to earn their pay, but drivers do more than just drive the truck, Chuck.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The good recruiter convinces you they are a better fit for you.

How many people contact only one company when job hunting ?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
How much skill does it take to 'sell' people on something they already indicated they want, just by talking to the salesperson?
And sure, pretty much anyone can learn to drive a truck, but that's just part of the job. If they can't manage the bookkeeping and accounting needed to stay compliant, the inspections & maintenance needed to stay safe, and the time management needed to stay alert on long runs at odd hours, they aren't going to be driving very long.
I don't know what all recruiters do to earn their pay, but drivers do more than just drive the truck, Chuck.

Those are all skills that I consider part of driving, they are learned skills which are easy to accomplish. If a truck driver earns the company $10k it means the recruiter helped earn that $10k multiplied by each driver, the driver is never going to match it.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Those are all skills that I consider part of driving, they are learned skills which are easy to accomplish. If a truck driver earns the company $10k it means the recruiter helped earn that $10k multiplied by each driver, the driver is never going to match it.

Ok, but what about the drivers who cost the carrier? Violations, hazmat spills, late deliveries, abandoned trucks, quit after 2 weeks, etc - lots of ways for a driver to negatively impact the carrier. too.
Does that get subtracted from the recruiter's stats?
:rolleyes:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Sales is a tough job..
It preps you well for expediting.
Ups and downs. You have to be able to handle rejection.
Lots of pressure. Having a great quarter last month doesn't feed the kids if you aren't selling this month.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Why would it..After drivers leave orientation the recruiting dept washes their hands of us so to speak..We are not the recruiters liability are we?..He did his job and got us in the door,at very little cost, a few man hours to process but thats cost of doing business and carriers write it off I'm sure.
A good recruitier worth his money will sort em out and work towards stable drivers. Then others operate like puppy mills and get em in and move on to the next one.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Paul's logic was that a driver represents profit to the carrier, and mine is that they can also represent a loss. If recruiters get credit for one, shouldn't they be held responsible for the other?
Just askin....I don't know what's involved, really, it just seems the reasonable way to look at it.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I would think their job is to get quality people, not just bodies.
Also it's in their best interest that their company remain profitable.